PH & Soil Growing

I run into problems with soil often and it appears alot of it has to with my ph but it sounds like im always chasing the problem vs preventing it... How much would be sufficient for just a soil and dolemite mix

Use 1 tablespoon for gallon of soil. I bet your getting rust looking spots. Potassium deficiency. Showing up weeks 4,5,6 of flower?

Use 1 tablespoon for gallon of soil. I bet your getting rust looking spots. Potassium deficiency. Showing up weeks 4,5,6 of flower?
Yeahhh i keep looking for the answer and i could never get it. Potassium def is what comes up often. Sometimes i get that or i get yellowing leaves that shrivel and die that start in early flower and continue out thru till the end i cant help but think this is cutting down on my yield

Yeahhh i keep looking for the answer and i could never get it. Potassium def is what comes up often. Sometimes i get that or i get yellowing leaves that shrivel and die that start in early flower and continue out thru till the end i cant help but think this is cutting down on my yield

Yea it's cutting your yield by at least half. I battled the same thing for a whole. And now you know :) good luck brother

Yea it's cutting your yield by at least half. I battled the same thing for a whole. And now you know :) good luck brother
Greatly appreciated funny thing is I looked into this earlier this year but ran low on funds along with the storm that hit this year in houston which somehow washed pest along into my grow room. I have some in flower already ill read some more then see if i can add to them but ill def start my next new grow with the added dolemite

We are talking about 2 different ph's.

If you are growing in hydro or coco then yes it is the utmost important to ph your water. But in a soil grow your medium maintains its own ph value. The ph value of the soil will not be affected by a changing ph of the water value. Meaning if your ph of your soil is 6.5 you can dump 20 gallons of water through it with an initial ph of 8.0 and the resulting run off will be 6.5.
When your roots are sitting in water the water needs to have an accurate ph. But what happens in a soil grow is you water and then the soil absorbs the moisture and the ph of the water automatically adjusts to that of the medium because the medium is of a greater value and harder to change than the water. So the waters ph becomes inferior and it just conforms to whatever the soils ph value is.

You do not need to ph your water in a soil based grow at all. You do not want to use RO water either. In a soil grow you are perfectly fine just adding nutrients to your water.
With that said I wouldn't recommend using water that's way out of ph however it doesn't really matter.

The soils ph is the important part in a soil grow. Not the water. To change a soils ph you can do it with either dolomite lime, silver, wood ash. There may be a couple other ways but I've found that dolomite lime is the easiest way and keeps it right where you want it.

I blend my own and it has a ph of 7 and I did forget to ph and it had no affects on the plants that I could tell. I still try to ph between 6 and 6.8 its good to know if I forget I should be ok since my mix has a neutral ph of 7

Thanks for saving me from typing all that rooster, you hit the nail on the head! I've typed it out to many times lol. Here's a few of my girls grown with no ph of water n feed.
PicsArt_1413178422272.jpg
PicsArt_1413178290401.jpg
GEDC07042.JPG
PicsArt_1417668680089.jpg
PicsArt_1422839441331.jpg
PicsArt_1422839514112.jpg
PicsArt_1437707783647.jpg
PicsArt_1438232769944.jpg
PicsArt_1441141608707.jpg

Thanks for saving me from typing all that rooster, you hit the nail on the head! I've typed it out to many times lol. Here's a few of my girls grown with no ph of water n feed.
PicsArt_1413178422272.jpg
PicsArt_1413178290401.jpg
GEDC07042.JPG
PicsArt_1417668680089.jpg
PicsArt_1422839441331.jpg
PicsArt_1422839514112.jpg
PicsArt_1437707783647.jpg
PicsArt_1438232769944.jpg
PicsArt_1441141608707.jpg

Beautiful.
And yes ph is so often overlooked or over thought.
You will get more from your plants with hardly any nutrients and a perfect ph, than you will with a messed up ph trying to pump it full of nutes. Get the ph right and you can feed 1/3 strength with awesome results. But hell of you get the ph right you can also feed a whole ton and get better results lol

Hello , I guess from what you are saying there is no way to bring down the ph of my soil (7.8) to a 6.5ph once the plant is in the soil ?

Ok gentleman can you change the p.h. of the soil once a plant is already in , as I didn't ph my soil and am finding it to have a ph of 7.6 , if I change my nuts to a lower value of 5.6 say will this effect the overall ph for my plants ? or do I leave my nuts at 6.8 ?

Hey noob

What ya want to do is check PH of nutes/water before watering and then check ph of run off and make a general guess from there. So yes if the run off is 7.6 the soil is probably sitting around 8 ish. I'd ph my nutes a little low maybe 6 to slowly try and bring it into line but not below that.

Well this has been rather informative..

So in using canna terra pro plus. It has dolomite already in unit I do believe along with bark etc... anyhoo I ran into problems when my run off was coming out at 8.0 plus... I flushed the fuck out of it with 4.0 solution and I did find my run off to drop. I got it to what I thought was 6.2. A few weeks later I checked my run off and when I put In a 7.2 unadultered feed of tap water the run off came out to 6.05.. in my eyes this means my soil ph is more like 5.6ph .. in any case after flushing with 7.2 clean the p.h rose to 6.3 run off where I've left her.

I don't know if I'm imagining my findings but you guys seem to think what I did wasn't possible if I read right?.

Any way take a look at my journal. It's not a pretty one lmao check my signature

I've use Sunshine in the past and now I'm using Pro mix. They both already have dolomite lime in them. The reason I switched to Pro Mix is because the PH of the Sunshine mix was a little high at 7.1 or so. My Pro Mix is exactly the same at 7.1 or so. I guess the dolomite lime keeps them at a neutral PH? It's still just barely in specification so my plants are fine.

For my next grow. I wonder if their is something I could mix into the soil to bring the PH down to 6.5 or so?

Wow, that was a great read. Very informative thread with a sprinkling of drama!! Very entertaining!!:p

Good soil should not need to be PH'd, in fact it can ruin the soil bacteria which feed on the soil and release its nutrients for the plant to use. It is this bacteria which controls the PH to one in which it and the plant thrives. Soilless hydro on the other hand has no such bacteria so the PH is not controlled any other way then by the grower. Unless you have very bad soil, PH should not be causing any problems and changing the PH will be futile.
is r.o. water ok to use ? I use tap water attached to a filter system from Costco ,filtered water comes out around 6.3 on the ph meter

Back
Top Bottom