pHing my water?

You should always check the ph level of your water. Whether growing in soil, organically or hydroponically all plants need a certain ph balance to take in certain nutrients. For hydro your ph should be right around 5.8 and for soil you should be at 6.5 ..
I would at least buy a ph drop tester kit to get an idea of where your water sits for ph balance, or you can spend the money and get a ph pen to test with. Also remember that when you add nutrients to you water that they are normally more acidic and they will drop the ph of your water. Always test the ph balance after adding nutrients. Another good thing to do is ph test your water runoff after you feed the plants to check and see how much higher it is.

You can get a cheap pH meter/ppm meter set on Amazon for around $20.

I would also buy some ph 7 buffer / calibration solution and some ph up. I bought the dry stuff so you can mix your own solution. I have never needed to lower pH, but if I did, I would probably just some some lemon juice.

I've never pHed anything in soil it's really not needed and seems to me that only people who pH there water run into problems with there pH.

I've never pHed anything in soil it's really not needed and seems to me that only people who pH there water run into problems with there pH.

You know Ive been thinking so. Been thinking that 6.5 is perfect and as long as your in range your fine?? Something like 5.5 to 7.5 no worries? My tap water runs a consistent 8.0 and after nutes it runs close to 6.0. Im not consistent PHing my yard grow but want to for my tent but wonder if needed?
Ive been wondering if PH is like temp where 80 deg is perfect but 87 is just fine too just not perfect?
Not trying to over think it just lazy and trying to save a step. My instinct tells me to PH my tent grow.
Im so confused!!!!

Some people PH correct others don't bother !

I don't PH correct & grow just fine with organic nutrients in the past to the present with synthetic salt based stuff or what ever people like to call em these days.

Basically it is the correct soil PH value which is the key aspect to under stand it also has a self buffering nature & generally returns towards ambient PH level over several or so hours after feeding or watering which can be observed with a cheap PH soil probe.

It is just mediums like coco, rockwool, pure perlite, clay pebble stuff used which are more or less inert mediums which do not effect PH where the water/nutrients are PH corrected for growing !

I see this stuff pop up from time to time & i've been involved in horticulture for 2 decades now to which a look after some larger glass house's poly tunnel & a big veg garden even blend my own compost with peat & dolomite lime plus ferts... None of the water used to look after thousands of plants & so many species has NEVER been PH corrected.

Its just not done in practical hortic trade...

When the basic understanding is soil PH to make nutrients available & that most plant species are happy growing in a mild acidic soil PH range which MJ is one.

I mean have you ever heard of a tomato grower or some one growing veg or other flowers PH correcting nutrients or ever read about it in a book, Na i don't think so...

Just internet hearsay related to Mj to many decades of mush to read through leading to misconception of the fine art of growing !

Ye Mj just a weed it grows any where in any thing as best as it can just look around the forums to what it's grown in & where or how it is quite surprising but don't let hearsay & misconception cloud your judgement on simple practical values !

The biggest positive change I saw in my garden was as a result of buying a Ph pen and using it.
Yes, THE BIGGEST change I have ever seen ....

I Ph to 6.1 - and I use my pen (during clone season) a couple times a day, every day for the last five years.
I use it (during grow season) once or twice a week.
It cost me $100 - and it's the best investment in equipment I have ever made (other than Gavida lights).

~ Auggie ~

PS: You gotta get a Ph pen. It is mandatory. Do it now

The biggest positive change I saw in my garden was as a result of buying a Ph pen and using it.
Yes, THE BIGGEST change I have ever seen ....

I Ph to 6.1 - and I use my pen (during clone season) a couple times a day, every day for the last five years.
I use it (during grow season) once or twice a week.
It cost me $100 - and it's the best investment in equipment I have ever made (other than Gavida lights).

~ Auggie ~

PS: You gotta get a Ph pen. It is mandatory. Do it now

Auggie, you talking about a soil meter or one for water?

Depends what your water source is if growing in soil. If using RO water, adjusting PH is pointless as it has nothing in in it to buffer. A drop of PH down will move a 5G pail of water down 2 points. The flip side is, if you're using 200+ ppm tap water, it might not be a bad idea to adjust PH as Ca, Fe, etc.. all act as buffering agents in your solution. Low ppm water and good soil, it's not needed at all. Inert mediums, hydro, high ppm well/tap water, it's a must.

Depends what your water source is if growing in soil. If using RO water, adjusting PH is pointless as it has nothing in in it to buffer. A drop of PH down will move a 5G pail of water down 2 points. The flip side is, if you're using 200+ ppm tap water, it might not be a bad idea to adjust PH as Ca, Fe, etc.. all act as buffering agents in your solution. Low ppm water and good soil, it's not needed at all. Inert mediums, hydro, high ppm well/tap water, it's a must.

Its well water. I guess Im just looking for reasons to be lazy. As far as PPM im not there yet. Im still trying to fathom everything. Thanks!

I think of it like watering with pHed acid rain :rofl::rofl:

It's gonna kill all you micro organisms/ fungi/ all the little helpful things that make up your pots ecosystem.

That's true.
If "good enuf" is good enuf ... then good.

I am always looking for ways to spend a buck and get two back.
And, like I said ... investing in a Ph pen was the second best equipment investment I've ever made.
The increase in the overall health of my plants was noticeable, and the result was in fat cola's that need support.

If that's not important to you, then ... carry on.

~ Auggie ~

Plants grown with out PH correction...

PICT000290.JPG
PICT000376.JPG
PICT002311.JPG
PICT001721.JPG
PICT001822.JPG
PICT001431.JPG
PICT001337.JPG
PICT000264.JPG
PICT000757.JPG
001960.JPG
0011021.JPG
003982.JPG

No problems here...

Nope. No "problems" evident.

But ... would you like it if the weight was 15% more?
For an investment of pennies?

No?

Then ... carry on.
Settle for 'good enough', no problems.

~ Auggie ~

PS: Momma is wrong. I KNOW what I'm gunna get when I grow - at or over a gram per watt.

Back
Top Bottom