Pistils vs. Pistils

Buddskii

Hello all!
I have the same strain entering week 7 of flowering.
Pic 1 is one plant that the pistils are looking thin, white and shriveled without much color change.
Pic 2 is another plant that looks a lot healthier when compared to the other plant (Pic 1).
Both plants are Trainwreck strain fed the same nutrients, schedule and lighting. They are side by side in the tent.
Anything I should be worried about or be doing differently?
Also... as I prepare to flush before harvest... is it OK to flush with spring water? Or is tap-water the way to do it?
Thanks for any help 🙏
✌️

20230404_155031.jpg

20230404_155022.jpg

Your plants look to still be 2-3 weeks away from harvest. There doesn't seem to be a lot of difference between them to my eye and they are both looking pretty good at this point. So by flushing, do you mean a one time 3x the volume of the container flush of the soil to wash away the salts at the end to make for a spectacular finish or the old wives' tale that you need to starve your plants for 2 weeks at the end? My advice will be different depending on which philosophy you have bought into.

Your plants look to still be 2-3 weeks away from harvest. There doesn't seem to be a lot of difference between them to my eye and they are both looking pretty good at this point. So by flushing, do you mean a one time 3x the volume of the container flush of the soil to wash away the salts at the end to make for a spectacular finish or the old wives' tale that you need to starve your plants for 2 weeks at the end? My advice will be different depending on which philosophy you have bought into.
Hmm... if you put it that way 🤔
I was thinking for the 3x end flush right before harvest.

I take it you are against feeding only water for the last 2 weeks?

Hmm... if you put it that way 🤔
I was thinking for the 3x end flush right before harvest.

I take it you are against feeding only water for the last 2 weeks?
lol, yes, I was hinting rather strongly. I see no sense in starving the plant just when it is growing the buds the fastest. It would logically seem that the plant needed more nutes at the end than ever before, and indeed there are many finishing nutes available so that one can do just that.

You have another common myth you are fighting, it seems. You have now mentioned the crowd, and seems to be one of them, who flushes 3x right before harvest, thinking that somehow this cleans up the final product. We now know that flushing for that reason is nonsense too.

What I do, when I am running a nutrient system that clogs up the soil (and roots) with excess salt and/or excess nutrients, is to do my final 3x flush at week 6, just as the plants are entering their final building up of the buds. I want to clear the soil of anything and everything that inhibits the full amount of nutes and water that I am giving from being taken up into the plant, so I make sure that the pipes are wide open for maximum nutrients and growth in that last 2 weeks. I hit them with everything I've got for that last two weeks, right up till the watering before the harvest. For that one last watering, I give them plain old tap water, because any nutes given on that pass won't have much time to do their job. On that note, flushing with spring water sounds expensive and unnecessary. Plain old non pH adjusted tap water will work just fine. Make it luke warm, and it dissolves the salts and flushes them away even better.

lol, yes, I was hinting rather strongly. I see no sense in starving the plant just when it is growing the buds the fastest. It would logically seem that the plant needed more nutes at the end than ever before, and indeed there are many finishing nutes available so that one can do just that.

You have another common myth you are fighting, it seems. You have now mentioned the crowd, and seems to be one of them, who flushes 3x right before harvest, thinking that somehow this cleans up the final product. We now know that flushing for that reason is nonsense too.

What I do, when I am running a nutrient system that clogs up the soil (and roots) with excess salt and/or excess nutrients, is to do my final 3x flush at week 6, just as the plants are entering their final building up of the buds. I want to clear the soil of anything and everything that inhibits the full amount of nutes and water that I am giving from being taken up into the plant, so I make sure that the pipes are wide open for maximum nutrients and growth in that last 2 weeks. I hit them with everything I've got for that last two weeks, right up till the watering before the harvest. For that one last watering, I give them plain old tap water, because any nutes given on that pass won't have much time to do their job. On that note, flushing with spring water sounds expensive and unnecessary. Plain old non pH adjusted tap water will work just fine. Make it luke warm, and it dissolves the salts and flushes them away even better.
Thank you for this. Makes total sense to me. 👍 👌

Hey @Buddskii, lookin' good! Plant #2 appears to have way more trichome production, which is likely a phenotypic difference. I'm guessing it will also be ready to harvest first.

Back
Top Bottom