Plant Alchemy With KNF: Korean Natural Farming And Jadam

I would guess its from the compost. If it's got unfinished carbon in it then it will hog nitrogen. Or it's too wet and your actually seeing starvation and not nitrogen.
Well, it's the same compost, just a larger percentage of the mix and I didn't have this issue with it last round. I can't believe just more of it would cause the issue.

Not too wet, it's like a squeezed out sponge.

The 1L pot has roots showing so I'll be top dressing them with some castings, comfrey and even more compost, cause, well, you know....

Well, it's the same compost, just a larger percentage of the mix and I didn't have this issue with it last round. I can't believe just more of it would cause the issue.

Not too wet, it's like a squeezed out sponge.

The 1L pot has roots showing so I'll be top dressing them with some castings, comfrey and even more compost, cause, well, you know....
Does it have biochar? could that be leaching it as it charges?

WCA - Water Soluble Calcium

And, speaking of WCA, here's the How-To Chris Trump video:

Very cool. This is next. I just wonder how to get rid of the membrane in an indoor kitchen. I don't have access to outdoor fire.
Another thing I wonder about is the banana tea I made. Should I strain that at some point and rebottle?

Very cool. This is next. I just wonder how to get rid of the membrane in an indoor kitchen. I don't have access to outdoor fire.
I have a small backpacking stove that takes all manner of natural fuel, pine cones, dried grass, dead leaves, etc., but I usually use twigs. It'll also take other fuels for camping like alcohol and such. That setup doesn't take up any more than a square foot when in operation and is about the size of a half coffee mug when put away, so maybe look into something like that.

But, for the membrane, you can peel them off by hand before crushing the eggshells if you can't cook them outside where you can fan them away. The idea there is the membrane is an organic material that you don't want rotting in your WCA over time.

Another thing I wonder about is the banana tea I made. Should I strain that at some point and rebottle?
You can, though the solids will continue to break down over time if you just leave them in the jar. I periodically add a small bit of worm castings to refresh the Microbial action.

I have a small backpacking stove that takes all manner of natural fuel, pine cones, dried grass, dead leaves, etc., but I usually use twigs. It'll also take other fuels for camping like alcohol and such. That setup doesn't take up any more than a square foot when in operation and is about the size of a half coffee mug when put away, so maybe look into something like that.
Excellent idea, thanks!
But, for the membrane, you can peel them off by hand before crushing the eggs if you can't cook them outside where you can fan them away. The idea there is the membrane is an organic material that you don't want rotting in your WCA over time.
Actually, since I will do a small batch, this may not be too much of a schlepp.
You can, though the solids will continue to break down over time if you just leave them in the jar. I periodically add a small bit of worm castings to refresh the Microbial action.
Great stuff. At what sort of interval do you add the ewc?

Great stuff. At what sort of interval do you add the ewc?
When I think of it. The original microbes from the castings, or compost, or leaf mold soil will be fine for probably a month or more, but I like to freshen the jars up periodically.

I made up a new batch of soil today with yet another new recipe. This version is:

10 L
1P Leaf Mold
2P Worm castings
3P Compost
3P Old soil
1P Biochar
8T Stone Dust
2T Mineral mix (Azomite, Gypsum, Oyster Shell flour, Dusts of sand, stone, char, and eggshell)
2T Meals mix (Crustacean, Neem, Karanja, Malted barley)
2T Powdered Eggshells
8T Brown rice

And I'll dust the plant roots at planting with some Great White Myco (if I remember :rolleyes:)

And please, no one tell @ReservoirDog that there's no perlite or any other aeration aggregate in the mix. He's got enough going on that I don't want him worrying about my plants. :eek:

Edit: But I'm not an idiot, I recognize that aeration is an important component so, after consulting with Mother Nature, I'm going to try using a half dozen worms to serve that function. Who knows, it might be even better as they tunnel around leaving air channels throughout the mix.

What it does do, however, is free up space for more compost in place of that aggregate in my small buckets and hopefully will get me further along into flower before deficiencies start showing up.

That's the plan.
The plants are looking very lush green now in this new mix so I think they like it, though I am seeing lots of crinkly leaves which spells 'over watered' to me.

They're all in SIPs which makes me think the mix may be too dense so I'll plan on going back to adding aeration in for next time.

So far it looks like this may be a winning combination; a good mix of soil ingredients plus a weak feed of JLF every watering down the pipe.

Week 7 of flowering and still have most of the fan leaves which is not typical for me, and decent color. A little washed out but I burnt the leaves by going to a too strong dose. I didn't start in with the JLF until flower was underway so I'll start earlier in the future and see if I can get ahead of the need.

Next I want to tweak the input combinations a bit but I think I am pretty close to my goal of having a decent grow with just stuff I can source myself, and mostly from my yard. My upgraded castings and compost are finally coming on-line as well so here's hoping the next few rounds show some positive results!

So far it looks like this may be a winning combination; a good mix of soil ingredients plus a weak feed of JLF every watering down the pipe.

Week 7 of flowering and still have most of the fan leaves which is not typical for me, and decent color. A little washed out but I burnt the leaves by going to a too strong dose. I didn't start in with the JLF until flower was underway so I'll start earlier in the future and see if I can get ahead of the need.

Next I want to tweak the input combinations a bit but I think I am pretty close to my goal of having a decent grow with just stuff I can source myself, and mostly from my yard. My upgraded castings and compost are finally coming on-line as well so here's hoping the next few rounds show some positive results!
Which one is the JLF?

Merry Christmas to you and yours Azi 🎄 🥳

Merry Christmas, Carmen.

JLF is Jadam Liquid Fertilizer and can be made with a wide variety of inputs. I've settled on mostly fish, comfrey and stinging nettle, with small additions of other things like seaweed, Horse Tail Fern, etc.

Dandelion is another good one if one were to only use one source plant, but the comfrey/nettle is a better combination.

Highya Azimuth,

Merry christmas and a Happy New Year to you and yours!

I've been working on this (sourcing nutrients from our property) for years. I love this! The only thing different is I feed from the top (water only goes into reservoir), and I don't have a worm farm. But I did have good success with start to finish with similar nutrients. Happy Smokin'

Merry Christmas back to ya @Bode !

What?!? No worm farm!!! Tell me it ain't so!

Easy enough to do if you ever want to try. And doesn't have to be more complicated than a storage bin. And  really good things come out of it.

But the local sourcing of inputs makes so much sense from lots of angles. Important to get the right ones though.

Highya Azimuth,

I used to have a worm farm in South Carolina. I'm not sure how they'd do here with cellar temps below freezing on the coldest days. Water doesn't freeze, which surprises me! Cost is a small concern too. Tell me more! Happy Smokin'

Highya Azimuth,

I used to have a worm farm in South Carolina. I'm not sure how they'd do here with cellar temps below freezing on the coldest days. Water doesn't freeze, which surprises me! Cost is a small concern too. Tell me more! Happy Smokin'
I have mine in my basement, though it doesn't freeze down there. But even if it does and that kills the worms, there will be enough cocoons ready to hatch when the weather warms up which will restart the cycle without having to do much of anything. And you could insulate the container during the coldest months.

Mine is a series of stacked 7 gal storage bins with holes in the bottom large enough for the worms to travel to and fro, but it could be one single tote, or even a large fabric pot with some sort of saucer under it. I have a 10 gallon one I'm thinking about using.

There's something about the inputs going through a worms gut that super charges them with microbes and calcium carbonate slime that plants love, so even a small worm bin would be worth it. If you don't have a lot of castings you can make them into a tea and spread them far and wide that way.

NPK is usually very low (like 1-1-1 depending on inputs) but that doesn't tell the real story.

And there's no smell unless you're doing something wrong like too much food at a time, too wet, etc. Otherwise you stick it in a corner and never even know it's there.

They'll eat anything organic but I've been trying to up my castings game and so have started to add specific inputs like kitchen scraps, compost, Comfrey, Nettle, horsetail fern, flowers, a bunch of meals like crustacean, need, karanja, malted barley, as well as stone dust, etc, but none of that is necessary for decent castings. But adding them takes the output to a an entirely new level.

Highya Azimuth,

I know they recommend red wrigglers, but will local foraged worms work? I'd like to get a worm bin going next year. Thanks for the inspiration. Happy Smokin'

Highya Azimuth,

I know they recommend red wrigglers, but will local foraged worms work? I'd like to get a worm bin going next year. Thanks for the inspiration. Happy Smokin'
That's how I stocked mine - wild caught. :laughtwo: I went foraging around in early spring in leaf litter and managed to find a few. Then I partially buried a bucket in my garden with lots of holes in it, added kitchen scraps and compost to the bucket, put on a tight fitting lid to keep critters out and when I checked a week later, the volunteers had self-selected themselves into the bucket.

I did it that way because I wanted worms that fed on/lived in food scraps since that's what I planned on feeding them. But if you have a compost heavy section of your garden you could probably find all you need in a shovel full.

You don't need many as they multiply like crazy and the population will self-modulate based on your conditions so you can never have too many despite however many you start with. They'll process 50-100% of their body weight a day in food scraps to give you an idea of how many you might want to start, but as I said, it really doesn't matter much. Hell, you could probably start with a half dozen and, given enough time, they'll populate whatever container you give them.

Red wigglers are also called manure worms so if you know anyone with horses or other animals that produce manure piles that can be an easy, and free, source.

Highya Azimuth,

I find red wrigglers in the bottom of my compost pile if I keep it nice and wet Bode. Also, the poop pile at the llama farm was almost solid worms (red wrigglers) down low if you know anyone with them.

Back
Top Bottom