Plants are in rough shape

I grow differently than you do, so some of this doesnt apply. In my living soil organic garden I do not use traditional nutes and when I feed, I am not feeding the plants, I am feeding the microlife in the soil, who in turn feed the plants.
As far as watering, whether it is just water or one of my compost teas, I do always water slowly to runoff and I do always wait for the plants to be almost to the point of wilting before they get water again, at least while still in veg. In flower the watering rules change a bit, and then it is time to use those roots you developed to feed the plant as much as it can take.
Like you are seeing in your garden, at times my plants all end up on different schedules, but I do try to slightly wait a bit longer on one or water another one a bit early, just to help them all get in sync, and this last time I was able to use the final transplant to get them all within one day of each other.
As far as your situation goes, I would continue to give calmag on every watering until at least the last 2 weeks of flower. I would continue watering on a feed/water/feed/water schedule so as to take advantage of the soil's ability to hold your nutes that werent used on the first pass, and then when you come along with plain water the next time, it gives those leftover nutes a second chance at uptaking into the plant.
Especially since you have gotten a slow start on these, now that they are starting to thrive I would go with the full recommended nutes now, not paying any attention to the popular advice that autos are light feeders... feed them and see just how fast you can get them to grow at this point, and don't back off unless the plants indicate that you are giving too much.
If youre feeding the microbes how does dwc work, and why would you change out the reservoir every two weeks?

apples and oranges my friend... DWC is a fully synthetic (usually) hydro grow... and other than some myco, I am not sure that DWC strives to create a living mix in that soup... to the contrary, you really don't want stuff growing in there.
True story, I think living soil mixes make for a better flower flavor but hydo grows quicker because a constant source of water and oxygen... Hydro is a double edged sword

15 gallons... 3x the container size... but it all doesnt need to be pH adjusted... just set that last gallon or so to 6.3 and you will be fine
Thanks em, I’m going to give them a rinse and hopefully it starts fixing this. One more question. That last gallon do you think I should mix in a little cal mag for them? Since it might take a while before they get anything again ? Thanks smiles, but I have a really great pen and I ph every feeding as close as I can get to 6.3. Ppm usually around 600-650. Toying with the root systems and trying to figure out a dry wet cycle for a couple weeks hurt them. I believe this would be my best option is to give them a good flush and hope for the best.

Thanks em, I’m going to give them a rinse and hopefully it starts fixing this. One more question. That last gallon do you think I should mix in a little cal mag for them? Since it might take a while before they get anything again ? Thanks smiles, but I have a really great pen and I ph every feeding as close as I can get to 6.3. Ppm usually around 600-650. Toying with the root systems and trying to figure out a dry wet cycle for a couple weeks hurt them. I believe this would be my best option is to give them a good flush and hope for the best.
yes, I would take advantage of the complete watering/flush to also give calmag.

yes, I would take advantage of the complete watering/flush to also give calmag.
Alright em, I just took a look at the tap water I’ll be running threw my pots ph is sitting 7.7 and ppm at 250. These numbers are higher than I expected. Should I be alright since I’ll be flushing the last gallon with bottled water and ph buffed to 6.3 ? Chlorine is an added factor in my tap water. Should I let all 15 gallons sit out for a day or two or dose that even matter because the last gallon will be bottled water and ph’Ed correctly ?

Alright em, I just took a look at the tap water I’ll be running threw my pots ph is sitting 7.7 and ppm at 250. These numbers are higher than I expected. Should I be alright since I’ll be flushing the last gallon with bottled water and ph buffed to 6.3 ? Chlorine is an added factor in my tap water. Should I let all 15 gallons sit out for a day or two or dose that even matter because the last gallon will be bottled water and ph’Ed correctly ?
Chlorine is actually one of the 17 elements that our plants need in limited amounts, and the tap water will not hurt a thing. Setting it out will not remove the chloramine, which is a stabilized chlorine product that most cities now use in their water, because it does NOT evaporate. You can filter it out or drop it out with vitamin c, but unless you are growing organically, it really doesn't hurt a thing.
The only reason we adjust the pH so carefully just a little acidic from neutral is because our nutes are designed to break apart at that pH. Flushing with slightly base water is also not going to hurt a thing... just make sure that the final column of water that you create in that saturation of water and soil at the end of the process, is at the correct pH for the nutes you are going to also apply. Except for giving calmag in that last gallon, you really wouldnt even need to pH that last gallon since there would be no nutes in there to adjust for.

Chlorine is actually one of the 17 elements that our plants need in limited amounts, and the tap water will not hurt a thing. Setting it out will not remove the chloramine, which is a stabilized chlorine product that most cities now use in their water, because it does NOT evaporate. You can filter it out or drop it out with vitamin c, but unless you are growing organically, it really doesn't hurt a thing.
The only reason we adjust the pH so carefully just a little acidic from neutral is because our nutes are designed to break apart at that pH. Flushing with slightly base water is also not going to hurt a thing... just make sure that the final column of water that you create in that saturation of water and soil at the end of the process, is at the correct pH for the nutes you are going to also apply. Except for giving calmag in that last gallon, you really wouldnt even need to pH that last gallon since there would be no nutes in there to adjust for.
I’m a little nervous about this whole process. That last gallon and a half I’m probably going to give a little nutes with cal mag ph’Ed at 6.3. It will take a while before she drys up again, so I don’t want her getting hungry in that period of time. Thanks for the explanation about chlorine em. It all makes perfect sense to me. I’m going to flush this little girl today. Wish me luck :)

Good luck, and I think you will find that she drains the container again in record time, now without the salts binding things up. This should go well... I used to one by one, carry my plants into the bathroom and would do this flush in the bathtub. It is a lot of work, but well worth the trouble.
That’s exactly what I did em. I used a rack to prop her up off the tub floor. Flushed her with 13.5 gallons. I let most of the run off drain. I mixed a light solution of veg nutes and cal mag. (6.3 ph and 450ppm) flushed the rest of the mixture and let her sit in the tub for 5-10 mins and put her back in her forever home. Going to watch her closely the next few days.

After two days being flushed.. I think it definitely was worth it. :)

Attachments

• E3E88768-E6BC-4214-9458-BABEFBDB2E8E.jpeg
    E3E88768-E6BC-4214-9458-BABEFBDB2E8E.jpeg
    704.1 KB · Views: 27
  • B647C035-EE9A-414C-9E57-335E75926506.jpeg
    B647C035-EE9A-414C-9E57-335E75926506.jpeg
    611.7 KB · Views: 33
  • 19F5E083-7961-4821-94AC-29E442B73483.jpeg
    19F5E083-7961-4821-94AC-29E442B73483.jpeg
    699.4 KB · Views: 28
  • F925AAC8-8AB9-4E19-A901-92C3FF18765A.jpeg
    F925AAC8-8AB9-4E19-A901-92C3FF18765A.jpeg
    609.2 KB · Views: 31
are you noticing more water use again?
Hello em :). After running 15 gallons threw them and being totally saturated I lifted them up this afternoon and to my surprise they are up taking water like crazy. It’s only been two days I know, but the growth and colour (to me) is way more healthier. Their growing again! Salt build up for sure with nitrogen toxicity. I know exactly where I went wrong feeding them without run off because I transplanted them way to soon and it was a guessing game trying to feed their root systems. Which caused all the build up. Live and learn ? Thanks again Emmy. Oh and em, whenever you get that book published I would love a signed copy please :) Autos are packing on the tric’s nicely. The smell of the sour diesel makes me drool. Still trying to push the nutes to them and that too is a learning game, but I’m enjoying every minute of it :) cheers

Attachments

• 77CA7871-E589-46E6-9B8E-F3BF10501177.jpeg
    77CA7871-E589-46E6-9B8E-F3BF10501177.jpeg
    524.4 KB · Views: 29
  • EDAA371B-77D8-4DC4-AE96-7FCFDA460326.jpeg
    EDAA371B-77D8-4DC4-AE96-7FCFDA460326.jpeg
    680.8 KB · Views: 35
  • E5CEDB17-3F37-4EBE-8C6C-4ECDEB9DEF35.jpeg
    E5CEDB17-3F37-4EBE-8C6C-4ECDEB9DEF35.jpeg
    551.1 KB · Views: 38
  • 5F33C1E7-05C6-4AAB-ABB2-FB82B0D917A3.jpeg
    5F33C1E7-05C6-4AAB-ABB2-FB82B0D917A3.jpeg
    538.5 KB · Views: 34
I was going to ask you em. Do you run any c02 in your grow room ? Those yeast bottle doohickeys worth mixing up and placing in a tent ? Just thought I’d ask :) cheers hope your girls are doing good ;)

I was going to ask you em. Do you run any c02 in your grow room ? Those yeast bottle doohickeys worth mixing up and placing in a tent ? Just thought I’d ask :) cheers hope your girls are doing good ;)
No, I don't mess with the stuff. First, it smells. Second, I am more into just doing it by brute force. I have a ridiculous amount of airflow in my tents, so it would not even be feasible to try to trap co2 in there. There is however, no lack of fresh air when you have an air exchange rate like I do, which of course includes ample amounts of co2. This, truth be told, is probably my secret weapon. All it takes is good fans and some creative ducting.

No, I don't mess with the stuff. First, it smells. Second, I am more into just doing it by brute force. I have a ridiculous amount of airflow in my tents, so it would not even be feasible to try to trap co2 in there. There is however, no lack of fresh air when you have an air exchange rate like I do, which of course includes ample amounts of co2. This, truth be told, is probably my secret weapon. All it takes is good fans and some creative ducting.
I like that “brute force”. I just purchased another inline fan with a speed regulator. I just have a 4” booster for intake but that’s going to be changing soon. Going to get a lot more air movement in there for the girls. I have been reading lots on c02. Seems like it can be dangerous if not regulated properly. I might be using that secret weapon of yours once my fan shows up :) thanks again em.

Hey em :) just thought I’d ask a quick question. My two photos that I flushed around 6 days ago were doing great and growing again. All of a sudden this morning I am noticing a brown colour on the new growth. At the end of the flush I gave just a bit of veg nutes with a little cal mag oh 6.3 and ppm of 450 I was wondering would this be occurring because I flushed with such a high ph and not all of the soil got 6.3 water at the end and therefor having a loc out of some sort ? I took a few pictures.

Attachments

• C06F798F-0F7C-44AF-92B9-298431861A08.jpeg
    C06F798F-0F7C-44AF-92B9-298431861A08.jpeg
    655.5 KB · Views: 34
  • B9DA0085-455D-4BCC-B117-DB028F581746.jpeg
    B9DA0085-455D-4BCC-B117-DB028F581746.jpeg
    604.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 1D1C449F-3DFC-4360-8CF5-5D29AC5A4C87.jpeg
    1D1C449F-3DFC-4360-8CF5-5D29AC5A4C87.jpeg
    621.1 KB · Views: 35
Not sure that we are seeing a problem here... I think it looks worse than it is because of the red light in the room, but I bet in regular light it just looks a bit lighter green. Being in the new growth like that, this would be perfectly normal. The only other explanation I can think of is that maybe the lights got a little too close and that is burning... but the rest of the leaf doesnt look stressed... so I come back to the trick of the light and I don't really think that pH has anything to do with this. Try looking at it in good light and over the next couple of days it might look more normal... hoping anyway.

I thought of the lights too. I ended up raising them 3-4 “ it’s weird because the one I didn’t flush doesn’t have that Brownish new growth. The second picture you can really tell the browning

Back
Top Bottom