Please help! Day 19

ABskunk

I think maybe she's about to start damping off?
Leaves are kind of a pale green with little areas of lighter colored green between the veins
Also the stem near the base has become brighter and kinda gross looking almost
as if a canker wants to form.?
I am a total n00b when It comes to growing!
Any possible help is greatly appreciated!! I will post pics as soon as I find out how ahhaha

Day 19 of random room seed @ 23-26ºc / 43%-47% humi.
Aerogarden ULTRA LED on 18/6

how big exactly is that container? looks like a hydroponic tank but cant be sure from the pics, also what lights are you using ?

i don't like the spacing inside your medium. in both hydroponics and soil mediums you cant let that spacing exist, if light hits your roots it will stun your growth.

if you are growing in hydro use clay-pebbles to cover the spacing

if you are growing in soil even out the surface so light dont hit the roots

i recently moved it into the AEROGARDEN ULTRA LED 1.2 Gallon reservoir. the holes were covered shortly after the photo was taken as well as i placed a peice of round paper over the top of the container holding the growing medium to inhibit algae growth. I have also ordered an airstone to put into the rez.

Ok so to cover the basics, this link lets you post pictures and whatnot: Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos
This link will give you info on pretty much anything related to growing, spend a lot of time reading here and you will become successful: How to Grow Marijuana Everything You Need to Know
Another great plan is to look up some grow journals that use the same equipment/soil/strains as you and see what they did, then compare it to yours.
For maximum help with your plant(s), fill out this form:
How many plants? What strains?
How old are they?
Indoor or outdoor?
How big is your area if its indoors and is it well ventilated?
What medium/soil are you using?
Whats the size of the containers?
What's your lighting set up?
What's the temperature and humidity like at any given time?
What's your ph like, both medium and nutes?
Any pests around?
What is your watering schedule like?

Your medium is soaking in your nutrient solution acting like a wick and evaporating out the salts in your solution, look at size of the salt crystals on the surface. The PPM in your medium is probably off the scale and so would the PH. Flush, then flush again and when your are done flush one more time until all that salt is gone, cover the exposed surface and drop your nutrient level just below the medium so only roots are in water.

Your medium is soaking in your nutrient solution acting like a wick and evaporating out the salts in your solution, look at size of the salt crystals on the surface. The PPM in your medium is probably off the scale and so would the PH. Flush, then flush again and when your are done flush one more time until all that salt is gone, cover the exposed surface and drop your nutrient level just below the medium so only roots are in water.

awesome! that helps alot! thank you! nutrient solution is all new because its a brand new DWC unit (arrived 2 days ago)but I will research how to flush this specific growing medium. Should I wait so I don't stress my plants out too much? I mean between the move and having the holes uncovered I've already probably stressed em out a ton.
20150118_161102.jpg
20150118_161201.jpg

How many plants? 3
What strains? not sure (street seeds)
How old are they? 15-19 days
Indoor or outdoor? Ive had them kept indoors.
How big is your area if its indoors and is it well ventilated? bedroom, 14x9 well ventilated also using air purifier
What medium/soil are you using? AG growing pods that I bought with my DWC unit.
Whats the size of the containers? single reservoir (1.2 gallon)
What's your lighting set up? AG ULTRA LED
What's the temperature and humidity like at any given time? temp in room (21-25 deg.C and 40-46% humidex)
What's your ph like, both medium and nutes? have not tested medium (not sure how) nutrient solution was around 7-7.5 but I got my ph-up and ph-down now and it is down to 5.9-6.2
Any pests around? no pests yet !
What is your watering schedule like? I replaced nutrient solution after first 14 days and now going to be replacing nutrients every 9 days or so (as per fluoraduo feeding schedule) while topping up reservoir with water between nutrient replacements?

I will research how to flush this specific growing medium. Should I wait so I don't stress my plants out too much? I mean between the move and having the holes uncovered I've already probably stressed em out a ton.

What I mean by flush is running water to waste through your pots to rinse out the medium in the pots. They are small and it will help the existing and new roots that are forming in the medium.

Yea when it comes to DWC, your ph and ppm are vital to monitor, they can change quickly. I'd aim for a ph of 5.6-5.8 for now, not sure on the ppm, need someone else's help for that. The rest of your set up looks good honestly. Have you heard about Neem oil for bug prevention before? And are your plant getting any micronutrients yet?

Day 21. Root rot has set in on big girl...as I feared, a canker has appeared to have formed.
Im looking into some HydroGuard but due to lack of hydroponics outlets available. I will have to get some shipped..
Any temporary household remedies? I was gonna use a diluted hydrogen peroxide solution but it kills both harmful
bacteria as well as good. So im torn. Ahaha. On a lighter note, Plants started growing again today. Noticed big improvements after a day and a half of apparent standstill .

Thank you for all of your tips you guys, much appreciated! Cheers.

Also..I put in a "bubble wall?" Attached to a whisper air pump for aeration! I know I should have gotten a proper air stone but they are a lil hard to find around here.

I have heard of neem oil. Ive also read about many "nowhere near as stinky" alternatives ahahah
Ive been reading from the oaksterdam university text book the last few days. Ph is a bit hard to gauge with liquid tester
But ive got it between 5.5-6 ppm was at 682 I used tds meter from my zerowater jug

I spent years trying to get various hydro systems to work. I live in a hot climate and was never able to avoid the root rot. I tried all sorts of chilling devices and techniques. As a result, I just went back to soil growing.

About 6 months ago, I was convinced to try a passive hydro method called "hempy". I have been growing with incredible speed and ease since I tried it. No root rot worries. No problems whatsoever so far. I really would recommend it to anyone and especially to anyone that has a challenging grow environment.

Here's a shot of my 3 hempy grown girls...

GroupShot18.jpg

The cal-mag I use smells 4 times stronger than the 100% cold pressed Neem oil I have, hell most nugs have a more potent smell than the Neem oil lol. It isn't an unpleasant smell either, at least to me. Sorry to hear about the root rot, was is from lack of oxygen to the roots? Or were the water temps too high?

Back
Top Bottom