Please help - Seed discovered 8.5 weeks into flowering! Huh?

Bodhisattva

My gorgeous Jack Herer is 8.5 weeks in

IMG_75047.JPG
IMG_75005.JPG

Everything is going well
Been sampling the bud - delicious
Could easily be harvested (amber = 10 percent at least)
It she turn haemo - should i harvest now
I have kept the seed she produced and will immediately grow it!!!

The only other plant in the room is a nearly finished Bubble Kush
I dont mind if one pollinates the other - no big deal

Thoughts?

(see grow journal at bottom - but also more pics in my second grow journal (link in signature coming).

Nothing to worry about. Sometimes there is a hermie flower or two (aka nanners- google ) hidden somewhere. A few seeds won't hurt anything. Look over your plants though for any hermie action. Report back if you find anything. :thumb:

Given enough time most female plants will produce seed at least a few my last grow I let my plants go way long just for some crazy couch lock and all 10 plants produced 5 to 6 seeds each

Thanks you guys. Love the help.

Is it normal for good condition, DWC plants to flower slightly quicker.
(when i say quicker - i mean on time according to the growers instructions - instead of the "add a week or two depeding upon trichomes / pistils etc) I was seeing amber trichs as early as week 6 - Normal?
Also - for me a lot was CLEAR to AMBER without too much milky. read a bit about this.

Honestly i found the whole trichome thing a bit tricky - even with a 30x 40X 60X and 200x, 240x magnification options.
eg. whats clear versus milky - sometimes this is subtle.
eg2 how on earth can you estimate percentage milky - all my snapshots are totally different. focus is so hard, even with flattened bud.

the only reason i am leaving it to grow is for
1) Increased THC
2) More Bud.

Would you keep growing this? Its a beautiful see of green and is taking light from all three grow lights.

si

Have checked all over and cant see any bannana men anywhere!

Im amazed i found it to be honest - was randomly inspecting the bud and came across it.

Will it be a boy or girl? the story of the magical mystical bean begins.

It will be a girl- produced purely from female genes. Unless it was produced by some male pollen that blew in the door but I'm guessing that's unlikely.

As for the harvesting- I can't really tell from the picture of the bud whether it is ready or not. Rumour has it that thc degrades when it turns from cloudy to amber- so I don't think the thc level rises beyond the cloudy stage. I find that 30-40x magnification is enough for me and even 60 is hard to focus.
I find that if in doubt - I will harvest a bud. Usually by the time I'm done trimming it I have a good idea how ready it is. Takes a little experience but not lots.

Again, thats really helpful info

Im just smoking some Bubblegum Kush.
The first weed ive ever grown myself

I had this beautiful moment when yeilds and strains and pH and all other things dissolved. I sat smiling at my marvelous little pot with crystal coated, jewel like trichiome enriched, golden, furry, luscious buds. I marvelled at the magic. I havent bought any weed for 2 weeks now. Winning.

And all of it is thanks to helpful posters like yourself.
Much respect and thanks

Si

I would recommend breaking up the bud into a bowl and looking at it like that with a loupe to judge how many are amber and cloudy. The reason is this brings it into more of a level plane of view so it will make focus easier, and you don't really need the trichomes to stay in tact or to gauge their quantity, because the ratio of clear to amber trichomes will be the same. Otherwise, when trying to use a loupe on a flower that is in its natural shape, the variations in depth just make focusing super hard. The added benefit of this is then you get to smoke it and gague just what the effects of that ratio are.

Yield growers definitely want to push their plants to the very end though. A buddy of mine insists that you pull them when about 10% are amber, because in the time that it takes them to dry in the air more of them will degrade so you will end up with a larger amber to clear ratio than when you cut. So the balance is trying to hit that last couple weeks where the buds just swell up in size, but without too many of the trichomes going amber and like in your case without any nanners.

Not that it's a bad thing though. Jack Herer is a great strain and an S1 (self-pollinated seed) will be feminized. If you took clones off of her, you could probably let all of them go into flower late as well and force them to produce more S1 seeds for you. However, don't try to let the S1 seeds produce S2 seeds, because with unstable genetics like Jack Herer you won't know what you're going to get that far down the line. If you took some cuts off of her now and rooted them out, you could probably grow a whole little S1 seed crop in a clone dome off to the side somwehere. Worse case scenario is you have a bunch of little colas that didn't self-reproduce. That's what I plan to do if I ever get ahold of a strain that hermies on me.

Then on top of that, if you find the nanners, harvest pollen off of them. If you use this pollen on another female plant this will also result in feminized seeds, that's basically what would happen if they accidentally pollinated your Bubble Kush.

Yo Fertiliser, you be fertilising my mind with green wisdom!

Thanks so much - its posts like this that really make me appreciate this 420 site.
Ill definitely consider that clone. Im really hoping that the seed will germ too.

Ill keep you updated.

So far i havent seen any more seeds

One random things - some of my buds in the big nuggs on the Jackie are showing a little gray / purple tinge on the buds themselves - particularily the big ones. Its definitely not bud rot ive chekced anyway (very low humid and loads of wind). I dont think it is the lights but it could be - i have a 9 spectrum light Both are 9 band - but one uses 5W epileds and one uses 3w epileds. is it a trick of the light. Its too subtle to photograph.

Also - i posted in FAQ about germination.

My humidity all time low is now 27 %, but usually around 35 % humid.
Maybe a silly question but will this low humidity have any impact on the dry / cure times. i dont think so - its more too do with trich prod - if its wet - its wet - right?

Also - is overnight (12 hours) at 40% hum too dry for curing?
Im learning curing as i go with little samples but i am new

Just bought some nice 0.5 and 1l mason jasors and i have 62 percent boveda humidity packs.

so far ive only lost a tiny bit to bud rot because i literally threwn0.5 gram or so in a little tub while training in curing and forgot for 2 days - only a tiny bit of like yellow flower mould in the middle but obv threw it away.

otherwise im trying to tread the line between drying too quick and too slow.

With optimal drying conditions - how long should it be until the buds enter the mason jars with 62 percent humidity. I have the luxury of being able to open the jars 3 times a day.

hope you dont mind my freind request.
be good to have some help with my grows.

sadly i need to smoke so dont have months and months to wait to cure.

after a two day dry and 3 day cure i have so far found my bud smokeble and tasty - the green hay taste has gone

i generally find that when i grind - i can tell if it is not cured because of the way it chops / tears and the green look and smell - it comes out - suprised i have not seen that as a tip anywhere

One more question

The Jack Herer was meant to be an autoflower. bought as an auto. interestingly other people have had superbs results with this strain. many said its the best to come out of RQS.

at 7 weeks of veg i barely say any flowering - maybe super early signs of preflower but so subtle - i was searching a lot - certainly no flourish of white pistils.

could this mean that is carries LESS of the ruderalis gene? or was it not actually an auto.
wil it affect your predication. will it come out auto?

RQS?

I didn't get a friend request, or at least I don't know where to look to tell...

Well, 7 weeks isn't really the amount of time I would expect to see an auto start to flower in, but I say that having no real experience with them. It takes about 3-4 weeks from a seedling to go to true vegetative stage, and then you'd probably expect at least 4 weeks after that before it was mature enough to make pre-flowers. But I'm confused, it did start flowering at some point otherwise you wouldn't have the seed right?

Some autoflowers do take a little longer to start flowering, especially if there's a lot of sativa lineage in them.

It's possible to breed the ruderalis genes out of it, but I really don't know enough about breeding and genetics to tell you how or when that would occur, plus it would be a lot of pointless work as you could just buy photoperiod Jack Herer easily. But just to try to kind of explain... I think you'd have to back-breed... So say you took a clone of the Jack you have now and left her alive and fertile, then you took the seed that you got from her, grew it out, and then pollinated the mother Jack. That's going to make certain genes more dominant in that offspring, but it will be a weird variation... 75% of the plants will still have the ruderalis hybridization, but 25% of them will be either more ruderalis or more Jack Herer. Then supposing you were tryng to breed the ruderalis out, you'd take these pure Jack plants and then back-breed them back with the auto mother. The resulting crop will then be a lesser percentage of ruderalis, and you rinse and repeat until you've stabilized the ruderalis genes out.

So with S1 seeds, you're not losing or adding any genetic variety, so it should behave pretty close to its parent plant but the catch is that not all strains are very stable and have many different phenotypes. Jack Herer isn't really a particularly stable strain, it's a hybrid with carefully selected and bred genetics, so when it reproduces itself it has a lot of different genes to use to do so. That plant could turn out nothing like the one you have now, because of how varied the genes in Jack Herer are.

The catch with self-pollenated seeds are that you can't continually make them self-reproduce without degradation of the genetic makeup. You can self-reproduce to about 6 generations until they just don't survive, but within those 6 generations the quality of the plant will drop each time.

Wow deep thanks.

Love jack herer but yes amazing how she had so much genetic breadth,

Fan leafs are thin, but she is very squatty wide and dense like an indica.

The bubble Kush went 2.5 times as tall on stretch but jack was more like 1.8 X

She flowered because I flipped the lights to 12 12. According to rqs she should harvest 70 days after planting (9 to 10 weeks). I just about had pistils at week 10 and her veggie
Growth was great. I think she is on day 125! After I flipped the lights I saw a big change within a few days. Maybe she was an auto going slow ... in my reasearch lots of people experience this and yet others say they are done in 70 days! I've heard of autos into day 150 plus.

Back
Top Bottom