Pollen chuckers paradise

Is a ziploc bag with rice in the freezer OK for short term (months) pollen storage?
The concept sounds good and would work in theory.

I have tried that and failed horribly. Keep in mind that moisture is the enemy when storing pollen. The fridge works well too and can keep the pollen viable for years.

Currently, by personal experience, I have kept pollen viable by adding some baked off rice to a vial of pollen that snaps closed. Placed that vial in a ziplock back with a few silica packs and place that in the fridge.

I was able to pick the brain of a well-known breeder. He mentioned he had pollen from about 40 different males stored and all of the containers have been kept in the fridge, not the freezer specifically. He mentioned the viability of about 10 years from his experience. He doesn't elaborate too much on anything so I couldn't decipher the science but he's crafted some bangers and that's proof enough to me.

I also have had my first storage success in the fridge.

Jar in dresser drawer was a complete failure for me.
I've read pollen is has viability for years out floating around in a house/tent. Seems like in a sealed jar in same environment would be better. But it's why I did freezer method too. On my next run I'll try some from the dresser as a experiment and post it here :D if it doesn't work it's not too big of a deal. I have lots of Chernobyl crosses.

My next breeding project will be with different strains all together. I have some nice OG's from Rare Dankness I'd like to preserve. I also have some Jack the ripper seeds from TGA from 6 years ago I would like to preserve. Was always one of my favorite strains

@Buck5050 what's up. How's it going with your garden :D
Everythings going well. I have been using the new 2-part MegaCrops and it's keeping things very healthy. I was able to get some pheno hunting done outside and set-up for some outdoor seed making this season. The way it looks I should have a male from a line I created hitting 4 different females, making some f2s and bx2s in the process. I am looking forward to getting some pollen collection in as well for future possibilities.

I have some stored in a tiny vile sitting in a tiny glass jar full of rice in freezer. Also another packaged same, but kept in a dresser drawer. Hopefully one of those will work. It's first time I've stored pollen so I thought I'd try couple of ways
Glad to see I'm not the only one trying all types of storage methods with pollen , fridge, freezer, sock drawer, flour, rice, In plant form.... To male plant preservation!... lol ...Think I'm gonna love pollen chuckers paradise! :)

Everythings going well. I have been using the new 2-part MegaCrops and it's keeping things very healthy. I was able to get some pheno hunting done outside and set-up for some outdoor seed making this season. The way it looks I should have a male from a line I created hitting 4 different females, making some f2s and bx2s in the process. I am looking forward to getting some pollen collection in as well for future possibilities.
Sounds cool! Post up pics when you get time :D Glad to hear all's well too

Hey folks, I think my colloidal silver project to get a stankberry x blue dream cbd mix lady to make pollen is starting to get balls! I have balls on the brain right now. Anyone see what I see and think it's starting to ball up? I'm thinking yes but don't know.

I have an idea for breeding but I don't want to use my tent as I figure I will have to clean it to ensure there is no left over pollen. If I just put the male outside with the female(s) I want to cross it with will that work? Also once that plant makes flowers should I just grow it out til the trichomes are amber to make sure the seeds are matured? I guess a more clear way to ask that is how long until the seeds are mature enough to plant?

Hey folks, I think my colloidal silver project to get a stankberry x blue dream cbd mix lady to make pollen is starting to get balls! I have balls on the brain right now. Anyone see what I see and think it's starting to ball up? I'm thinking yes but don't know.

I think this will be what they call S1 seeds. It seems like you essentially hermied the plant and it will seed itself. Please correct me if I am wrong, I am just tring to figure all this stuff out!

I think this will be what they call S1 seeds. It seems like you essentially hermied the plant and it will seed itself. Please correct me if I am wrong, I am just tring to figure all this stuff out!
Appreciate the "stab at it" Enjoying, I hope you're wrong. I hope to wake up tomorrow and find pods where you think there might be seed. That was the mission anyway. I'm going to have to find out.

S1 seeds is from self pollination. The colloidal silver is used to change the sex of a female to male.

Back
Top Bottom