Popping My Hydro Cherry

GreenMakana

Hello my good green friends!,

I have been a 215 patient since 2004 after losing the ability to walk. I have that ability back by the graces of the powers that be, albeit limited at times.

I am so grateful to all the resource I see here and I know I have much to learn. I am a long time outdoor organic grower from sonoma county where the green grows greener. I am in a bit of a colder climate now and have just had my first successful indoor flowering after a few failed attempts (in 5 gal buckets with soil).. I have cloned off of them as they are first gen from mother plants. 2 Blueberry 1 Trainwreck (supposedly a blueberry when we got it but I think it got mixed in because there is no mistaking that smell). I have fairly small flowers and I am close to harvest after doing my last FF Tiger Bloom 1 1/2 weeks ago and flush. I stopped watering the day before yesterday and I plan to harvest sunday.

The clones I took from them I put into an Aero Gro and it flourished like mad. I had to take one and put it into a bucket with a fish pump and a stone in it. I have been feeding it the same nute tabs that came with the aero but I know my first (soil) "successful" indoor harvest is coming up and now I want to go Hydro. I have bought most of the equipment and I want to stay with FF nutes and get the Hydro package they have. I bought a PH test kit today but I plan on getting a 6-1 monitor once I can make the drive that far... lol

Any advice would be helpful.!!

I have a reservoir (large square storage tub from walmart) and 4, 5 gallon buckets a nice pump 1/2 inch in and 3/4 inch drain back to the reservoir. (filled one bucket too fast during the leak test so 4 should be fine) and variable control air pump. There is only a 1 inch drop in the drain hose from the bucket to the reservoir... Is that enough?

I plan on putting an air stone in each bucket. I don't have the stones for the baskets yet and I heard ones made from coconut are great. The lights I have are 1 metal halide (400W I think) and 2 fluorescent fixtures with "full spectrum" bulbs in them. The room is 14 by 7 and well insulated with reflective insulation material (Prodex I think) with fiberglass insulation behind that. I have a 4 in tube coming in for air and a cyclone fan I have not installed yet. It is my understanding now, that I need to have an "in/out" port as well.

I took a few quick pics today some are better than others. I need to size them and start uploading.

I want to document my hydro experience and I cannot think of a better place than with my Green Family!

By the good of the green go I....

~M~ :grinjoint:

Ok well I went yesterday to the local Hydro store. I got what supplies I could and a load of gravel for my driveway. Then my truck would not start... I ended up borrowing a vehicle today and made the long drive to Oregon and found In & Out Garden in Medford.. Great place! Great people! and well informed. I think I have all I need. I am just waiting to harvest my dirt crop tomorrow. I will take more pictures of the equipment.

Cheers!

~M~

Well I did it... The system is built and the lights are on for 18 hour cycle. I started on week 2 (since they are pretty far along) of the FF hydro feeding schedule. I figure it to be about 25 gal total and mixed accordingly. I slept in the room to make sure the timers were all set correctly. The plants looked like they were in a bank heist this morning (put your hand in the air!). all the leaf tips were pointing up instead of drooping like they were when I went to sleep. I took a bunch of pictures but it is taking me a little time to downsize them. The chart for the Ph says 58. to 6.3 is optimal. I had to Ph down it last night and it was just above 6.0. I just checked it a little while ago and it was almost 7.5. it is now at 6.0 or just below.

ok heres a few images
2SDC10625.jpg

2SDC10614.jpg

2SDC10612.jpg

I have been checking my Ph level every few hours just to make sure it does not stray again. I doubt it will. I was either the Hydroton ( I rinsed 3 times before using) or the air bricks that I soaked as well.

Hmm

At least it is stable now

2SDC10628.jpg

I went into town today to get my dehumidifier and there were none.. :( Damn... I am going to have to watch it really close until I get one in there. I have the sentinel to monitor it once I pick it up
2SDC10614.jpg

This is what they looked like before I put them into the buckets.
3 from the aero grow and one from the yellow bucket that I pulled from the aero grow due to it taking over and stunting all the others

2SDC10623.jpg

2SDC10622.jpg

Ok... if you notice my plants were pretty yellow when I put them into buckets. The good news is that the veins are turning dark green agaiin. That a healthy sign right?

Arrrg! I went and checked my PH this morning and it was over 7.0 again. Why does the PH go off so far over night?

2SDC10648.jpg

2SDC10647.jpg

2SDC10646.jpg

21SDC10645.jpg

2SDC10644.jpg

2SDC10643.jpg

2SDC10642.jpg

2SDC10641.jpg

2SDC10640.jpg

2SDC10639.jpg

This is what I found at 10 am... PH was off and restored... I will check it again... Why is it going off balance? It was stable all day yesterday then when off over night. This is the second time today I have had to PH down.

FF Hydro Grow Big, Organic Big Bloom , and Tiger Bloom... It didn't smell like that yesterday... I am not sure how to describe it.. It is like a sour yeast smell.. It smelled a bit more earthy yesterday. Fed them the day before yesterday when they went into the pots..

Thanks Japanfreak

2SDC10630.jpg

I started on week 2 of the feeding here and I figured I am running about 25 gal maybe a little more. It would put the nutes on the light side if anything and I figured that might be safer.

Back
Top Bottom