Pot Commited's First Grow Grape Ape - Soil - 4x4 - From Clones

Pot Committed

Hello, this is my first grow and I'm excited. Here's what I'm working with.

*Sun Hut 4x4 tent
*Lithonia Lighting 2' grow light (2)
*Vornado Auto Whole Room Vortex Heater
*FoxFarm Ocean Forest Soil
*Xtrasun White Hood Reflector
*Xtrasun 1000w Ballast
*AcuRite Thermometer 00827A1
*EcoTester PH meter
*PlantMax 1000w bulb
*Lasko box fan
*8" 705 CFM Hydroponic Max Mixed Flow Inline Fan
*General Hydroponics FloraGROW, FloraMICRO and FloraBLOOM

I'm only starting with 6 baby's that I picked up at my local dispensary about a week ago. I'm only using water at the moment with no added nutrients. Just the PH up or PH down. The current light cycle at the moment in 18hr/6hr. I try to spray my baby's with club soda 2 to 3 times a day and water when I feel it is necessary. Sometimes when I water them all at the same time they don't become dry all at the same time so i just use the finger method and water when they need it. I try to keep a clean work space.
I'll post an update with more pictures every week. Wish me luck.

Any advice is appreciated.

P.S. I know committed is spelled wrong in my name

IMG_005419.jpg

IMG_004820.jpg

IMG_005321.jpg

IMG_005223.jpg

IMG_005026.jpg

IMG_005125.jpg

IMG_004926.jpg

Re: Pot Commited's first grow GRAPE APE/SOIL/4x4/FROM CLONES

Hey Pot Com!!! Welcome to 420 Mag!!:420: Very nice setup and grow journal so far, very impressive!!! I'm definitely in for this grow :) If ya need any help just ask and there are ton's of incredible members here that will help you if needed :) Just a suggestion to you, I would probably be careful with those ph up and downs...they have a lot of salts in them :)

Just a suggestion to you, I would probably be careful with those ph up and downs...they have a lot of salts in them :)

thanks I try to never over due it with thoes PH solutions. Maybe 5 drops at the most in a Quart. Is that ok or to much. Usually if I feel like I'm adding to much PH solution I just dump out the water and start again.

Really clean looking setup man!!! can't wait to follow along! Are you going to do any types of training on the girls?

! Are you going to do any types of training on the girls?

I'm not sure what you mean here. I was just going to use the t-5 bulbs till they get taller then use the blooming nutrients to bud them out with the hps bulb. I'm completely new growing cannabis and there is a lot of things I don't know.

Do you think they are tall enough to use nutrients now or should I wait 2 weeks? I have only had these plants for 1 week and only using water.

I'm not sure what you mean here. I was just going to use the t-5 bulbs till they get taller then use the blooming nutrients to bud them out with the hps bulb. I'm completely new growing cannabis and there is a lot of things I don't know.

Do you think they are tall enough to use nutrients now or should I wait 2 weeks? I have only had these plants for 1 week and only using water.

It's all good, your in good hands here at 420... :) We will all help you to reach your goals with this grow :)

Training is using different ways to maximize your grow by manipulating the plant...it sounds complex but its actually quite easy and I would suggest looking into LST, topping, FIM and supercropping. These are all different method's in which you can control the way your plant grows, and overall creating more tops (where the buds form), therefore more overall yield :)

LST is the one that I would recommend because it is the least stressful to your plants, and doesn't stunt growth vs. the other methods. What you you do is you take twine, pipecleaners, or some kind of tie down material, and somthing to attach the tie down material to...like a nail, binderclip, pushpin, tape... What you do is you gently bend your plant over so that the main stem curves horizontal instead of vertical. By doing this it tricks the plant into thinking it is broken/stepped on/ and it pushes the 2ndary stems upward to create tops... You let the plant grow a few days, then tie it down again, and it create's a nice bushy plant with plenty of bud sites :) You can start tying them down about 1 week after they have shown new growth, but with your pots and the tallness of the plant's it may be tricky, so if you do LST, wait until you re-pot/transplant your ladies, and then LST all the way until you flower if you want :)

Just a suggestion, but here is a link that supplies everything that you will need to know for growing...tons and tons of useful info on the link :)

How to Grow Marijuana Everything You Need to Know

Now about your plants/nutrients etc... First off I would suggest holding off on any nutrients for at least a good 2-3 weeks and I will explain in a min why. Also you want to keep your humidity in the 40-60% range for the veg state, especially with the young ones, because they need to develop a good root base before they can supply the leaves properly... Keep your soil moist, but don't water too frequently, or too little. The pot lift method you mentioned is probably the best to judge when to water...Less is more when there little because you want the roots to "explore" the soil for moisture.

With the pots currently your using, you may want to add some more soil into the pots to cover the rockwool cubes, fill your pots leaving about 1" from the top of the pots to the soil. (you don't have to but just a suggestion) Also, Those pots you have the plants in will be good for about 2 more weeks and then I would suggest that you replant (possibly sooner) into larger pots. You don't want to risk your plant's to become rootbound and for your size tent, and a 1000w light.

I would recommend going with at least 3 or 4 gallon pots, but would really suggest a 5 gallon pots :) There are many different types of pots, plastic, smartpots/fiberpots, air pots, and they all work well, but I would say I have seen very good results with smartpots and have seen others around this site very pleased with airpots :) Smartpots and airpots use air touching the roots to "air prune" the roots. Instead of circuling around the pot like a normal plastic pot, air pruning pots stop the growth, and force it to branch out, creating a large amount of fiberous roots. This allows you to grow bigger plants in smaller pots, plus allows the plants to keep from becoming rootbound :)

As far as the nutrients I mentioned before, I would hold off until a few weeks after transplanting the girls. Fox Farm Ocean forest has plenty of nutrients and minerals to supply the plant with growth for 2-3 weeks. Once you transplant, give it a good week or 2 before you start adding nutrients, and this should result in very happy plants. When you re-pot your plants, I would suggest looking into some additives to help your soil bring more nutrients to your plants. Check out worm casings, guano's, rock powders and minerals like azamite, greensand, soft rock phosphate...etc.. also getting some Mychorrizae or root inoculant's will help speed up root growth and increase plant health...just some things to think about when you transplant. Also tons of good info on soil mixtures in that above link:)

I personally am an organic grower, and don't use synthetic fertz, so I can't comment too much in that area, but also would encourage you to check into organics eventually. Look into compost tea's as well, they are incredible for your plants, easy to make, and requires nothing more than a airpump, 5 gallon bucket, airstone, and some good soil :) You could actually give your girls compost tea at this time and will see very noticeable growth :)

Your T5 bulbs will be fine for quite a while until your plants are getting too large to get good light coverage with them. With any lighting, the further your light's are away from your plants, the intensity drops quite a bit, so keep those T5's close to your plants (Just like you have them now :) ) , and you could always add CFL bulbs as secondary lighting if needed when the plants get larger :)

Hope all of this helps :) others will chime in eventually and help you along the way also. I will try to give you the best info that I can to help you have an amazing 1st grow :) Feel free to visit my grow journals in my signature link. I try to leave tons of detail for other's to learn, just as I did :)

Your doing a great job, and by the way...I love grape ape :)

Hello I am just giving you guys an update. I have decided to move the girls to the 5 gallon pots just because they were going taller that expected.I am thinking of putting up the 1000 watt light tonight just because I feel like the 2' grow light is not big enough. I have purchased a "genuine phat filter". a 8" MaxFan 705 CFM mixed flow inline fan and some 6" ducting.
I have all the stuff ready to assemble but Im not sure how to set it up.
I know that I need to connect the filter to the fan the out of the tent. there are also some holes in the hood that are meant for ducting. Do I need to connect FILTER>HOOD>MAXFAN>OUT OF THE TENT ?
Of corse here are some pics.
IMG_005918.jpg

IMG_006021.jpg

IMG_006116.jpg

IMG_006216.jpg

I don't want to do this wrong so any advice would be helpful.

Thanks

Re: Pot Commited's First Grow GRAPE APE/SOIL/4x4/FROM CLONES

nothing out of the ordinary has been going on. i was trying to set up the 1000 watt light and when I turned it on it got really hot. I have not used it yet I'm still using the t-5 bulbs. I didn't have a glass cover for the hood but I ended up getting one at the local hardware store near me.
I have been thinking of when to use the 1000 watt light. I have some ducting and a MAXFAN to hopefully keep it cool enough so my room temp. is not effected.
the only problem with the fan is that its so loud you can certainly hear it from outside and I would need to keep it on for 12 hours. the man at the hydroponic shop told me to just cover it with a sleeping bag. Is that right?

I did look up LST Cropping and it looks cool but I think I'm just going to top the plants at some point.

Anyway I know I'm not the most educated in this subject I'm just trying not to fuck this up.

here are some pictures ENJOY!!!

IMG_008122.jpg
IMG_008424.jpg
IMG_008520.jpg
IMG_008619.jpg
IMG_008720.jpg
IMG_008816.jpg
IMG_008916.jpg
IMG_007822.jpg
IMG_007924.jpg
IMG_008020.jpg
IMG_009015.jpg
IMG_009121.jpg

thanks for looking!

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info! :blushsmile:

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

I am moving this to abandoned journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world!

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine!

Back
Top Bottom