1st Grow: Grape Ape, 3x3 Tent, In Soil

Flipping at lights off tonight.

20210919_164754.jpg

Day three of flower. I have really thought for a while now that the back right plant was male. It's always been taller, with longer internodal spacing, but it's really sending me mixed signals. At this point I'm leaning toward it being a hermaphrodite. I feel like I can see different organs on different branches. It's crazy because the other three are DEFINITELY female, that one just doesn't seem to be maturing sexually quite as quickly so I just don't feel comfortable pulling it yet. Lord knows I need the space though! Raised the light a bit today, as I started to see some white tips on the top leaves, hopefully caught that in time. Up to about 20" now, at about 90% on the @Mars Hydro TSW2000. So far it's been great in the 3x3 tent.
20210923_175723.jpg

Questionable plant in the back left here.
20210923_174233.jpg

And then there were 3

20210927_173758.jpg

Went ahead and pulled this guy today. He finally decided to show out. My initial hope was two, so having three females is really a bonus, but I hated pulling this plant. What I gain though is a good amount of extra room in the tent for a proper dehumidifier and some additional training to open things up a bit for the ladies. So this is where I stand 1 week into flower:
20210927_175838.jpg

I was planning to hang a net, mostly for bud support, but now I guess I'll be able to use it to spread my canopy as well. I can see they are going into full stretch mode so planning to move into bloom nutes with the next feeding. Not sure what to expect but pretty excited for the next steps!

About three weeks in to flower, buds are starting to stack up and getting a little frosty.

20211011_181421~2.jpg

20211011_181538.jpg

And the group shot.
20211011_181654.jpg

Anyone have any advice or feedback on my canopy thickness? I know I'm about out of time for any major defoliation, so i guess I'm just looking for advice to make sure I'm not going to light on the defoliation at this point. How much should I really be taking off of each cola to ensure the best light penetration?

I personally don’t like a scrog net, mainly cause I hate the word scrog lolllinggg.

But you manage to make a scrog look good.

That looks like a very happy sea of green you have there :)

I personally don’t like a scrog net, mainly cause I hate the word scrog lolllinggg.

But you manage to make a scrog look good.

That looks like a very happy sea of green you have there :)
I'm not really liking the scrog net at this point either, mostly because I just don't like the plants being locked in place, but there are also few spots where the net is in the way of some bud sites. That's probably me being a dumbass and putting it in though, tbh.

I'm not really liking the scrog net at this point either, mostly because I just don't like the plants being locked in place, but there are also few spots where the net is in the way of some bud sites. That's probably me being a dumbass and putting it in though, tbh.
I did buy one when I set up my tent, btw I think we have the same Mars Hydro light and tent :)

I didn’t find the net worked for me. I like to get my plants out and fuss about. And I grow half day sun half day Mars Hydro light.

They are a great lights aye?

I did buy one when I set up my tent, btw I think we have the same Mars Hydro light and tent :)

I didn’t find the net worked for me. I like to get my plants out and fuss about. And I grow half day sun half day Mars Hydro light.

They are a great lights aye?
The light and the tent are great. And I absolutely agree, I like to be able pull them out and work when I need to. I'm too damned old to be on the floor trying to defoliate or water or just admire my handy work. Which I do a lot of .

Today is the last day of week 3 flower. A few pistols starting to turn red.
20211017_191230~2.jpg

Two of the three are showing some nice purple.
20211017_191052.jpg
20211017_190613.jpg

One not so much, but still looking nice and frosty.
20211017_190535.jpg

And the group. I still feel like I have left too much foliage but I'm not sure I want to take much more this long into flower.
20211017_190227.jpg

Also cut out the scrog... I must have put it in late or too high or something, but it was impacting bud sites so BYE! Looking forward to these girls bulking up the flowers over the next few weeks.

Looking nice. Even without the net - a well spread canopy. You must have trained them well in veg.

i guess I'm just looking for advice to make sure I'm not going to light on the defoliation at this point

My 2c. If I look through the plant underneath the canopy and I can’t see the wall on the other side I find that’s a problem. I will pluck leaves until I can see there is good air flow.

:thumb:

Starting Week 5 of flower. The flowers have been stacking longer along the stem and taller up top, I'm hoping they start to fatten up over the last several weeks. I'm super excited about the frost these buds are showing. When the light hits just right they sparkle like diamonds.
20211025_212953.jpg

20211025_213730.jpg

20211025_213700.jpg

20211020_193931.jpg

The bottom right plant has been lighter green than the other two since flipping, not sure if it's just hungrier than it's house mates or if it's in the genetics. I'll feed a little extra this week and see how she reacts. This is supposed to be a 7- 8 week strain, so I won't have much time to try and correct if that number holds true. Honestly, with it being my first grow, I'm just holding on for dear life at this point hoping not to make any tragic mistakes . But I'm learning a TON along the way, and already working on the next crop. I will definitely change quite a bit as I don't feel like it's been as efficient as it could be. Super happy with where I am, but I can see a good bit of room for improvement.

Starting Week 5 of flower. The flowers have been stacking longer along the stem and taller up top, I'm hoping they start to fatten up over the last several weeks. I'm super excited about the frost these buds are showing. When the light hits just right they sparkle like diamonds.
20211025_212953.jpg

20211025_213730.jpg

20211025_213700.jpg

20211020_193931.jpg

The bottom right plant has been lighter green than the other two since flipping, not sure if it's just hungrier than it's house mates or if it's in the genetics. I'll feed a little extra this week and see how she reacts. This is supposed to be a 7- 8 week strain, so I won't have much time to try and correct if that number holds true. Honestly, with it being my first grow, I'm just holding on for dear life at this point hoping not to make any tragic mistakes . But I'm learning a TON along the way, and already working on the next crop. I will definitely change quite a bit as I don't feel like it's been as efficient as it could be. Super happy with where I am, but I can see a good bit of room for improvement.
Impressive 1st grow

Tomorrow starts week 6 of flower, so I'm thinking 2 to 3 weeks to the finish line. You'd think by now I would have decided on the great flush debate, or to wet or dry trim, bag cure or jar, but you'd be wrong :laugh:. I'd love some feedback from anyone out there with more experience than I have. So basically everyone! I feel like I found the end of the internet reading posts and articles with "indisputable facts" all supporting one side or the other on just about all of these topics. Some folks get pretty intense. I'd like to recommend to them a fine medicine that helps people to relax a little and find some harmony and flow :rollit:

How about a little preview? I don't have a "favorite" (I do), but two of the three are far more photogenic. I think the third girl is just shy, but still beautiful on the inside where it counts.

20211031_190906.jpg

20211031_191056.jpg

20211031_191114.jpg

20211030_180123.jpg

20211031_185417.jpg

20211031_191449.jpg

I appreciate you fine folks that have kept up on this journey with me. I know the journal hasn't been great in terms of detail or method. I don't want to dilute content with my freshman year studies or help you all rediscover the basics :laugh: so really just enjoying sharing the progress while quietly doing my best to learn from my mistakes and recognize my opportunities to be a better grower. Being discreet is my number 1 priority for many reasons, so it's nice to have an outlet, so for that, thank you all again!

I'd like to recommend to them a fine medicine that helps people to relax a little and find some harmony and flow :rollit:
:high-five: to that!

Flushing isn’t a real thing, at least for the reasons adherents ah.. adhere to.
Rinsing chemical residues from inside your flowers somehow while they are alive by rinsing the roots with clear water - that just doesn’t happen. Some nutrients have mobility from some plant tissue structures to others, other nutrients don’t. No amount of rinsing the roots (beyond normal hydration) will affect this.
As you have noticed some very skilled gardeners have learned to rinse/flush, learned no doubt from an old school grower who showed them what to do.
I’m not here to cast aspersions on anyone’s beliefs or practices. If you were lucky enough to get well intended help you might have learned to flush. We’ve all learned a lot over the years.
Sometimes a flushing regime has given a noticeable result to taste/yield/resin, etc. Sometimes not. Why?
Because with holding nutrients from your feed water mimics a form of drought stress to the plant. No matter that water is there, because water-borne nutrients are not the plant will sometimes respond to this stress (it is a form of stress inducement) with an increase in resin production. Sometimes not. Other factors affect hydrostatic pressures and other things within the plant.
I say feed to finish. That’s my tax free two cents.

Back
Top Bottom