Pot good for depression

I'm not a doc, and I don't play one on TV :) I do know I was diagnosed with and have suffered from anxiety & depression most of my life. I spent almost 4 years in my late 20's/early 30's under a doctors care & constant monitoring while we played with different prescriptions and titrated the levels. In the end I was on a pretty heavy dose of Xanax for the anxiety/insomnia and Zoloft for the depression. Neither drug had desirable side effects, and Zoloft about cost me my sanity and marriage. During the whole time, I had stopped smoking and drinking - trying to give the meds and my Doc an honest attempt/effort. Then I just got sick of the Zoloft and stopped cold turkey one day - then I called my old "source" for some marijuana. While not a miracle drug, and certainly not for everyone, marijuana worked for me. I have been off of the prescription drugs for almost 15 yrs, successfully using marijuana for my stress and depression, all the while being a productive member of society as a professional in the workforce. YMMV.

:peace:

I have Major Depression, I have had it all my life. I was not diagnosed until 2005. I am 40ish. I also have degenerative disc diesease. Life has been hard. The medications have been hard on my body and my mind. I have recently changed meds, again..this time for the better. Marijuana has changed my life. I use it in conjuction with meds from my docs, it helps tremendously. When my pain meds don't do the trick, cbd does it every time. when my mood dips, a little sativa picks me up. We are all different, yet we all need Love, Food, Warmth, Shelter and Medicine. I do hope and pray that this helps someone, it has helped me just to write it. Y'all have a great night.

i would say the exact opposite of this:

as someone who went through a bout of depression, i found that marijuana only made you "ok" with the depression. Chronic MJ usage depletes serotonin to the point where you dont really have too many highs or lows, so to that end i could see this helping.

If you're in a depressive funk, get outdoors and live life. It may sound stupid or hard headed but i went through it myself. Quit smoking because you are just masking symptoms that can be made infinitely better by simple things such as getting sun, exercising and eating well.

worked for me.

... This is what anti-depressants do, regulate your serotonin to take away "highs and lows".
I have depression and always have, and while you are right about getting your own endocannabinoids working by being active and getting all your endorphins pumping...
For some people this wont fix everything, and I would say MMJ is a darn good treatment over pharma drugs that may have ill side effects on your brain further down the road.
I would say your BEST recommendation that people do NOT hear enough of is eating better... Most people don't even know how to, and a lot of doctors skip out on nutrition classes... Then push drugs when a simple diet change can really help with so many things its almost disgusting!
Hell, I have crohn's disease and my doctors did not push diet change enough. And while eating healthier and "getting out" helped with both that and my depression... I have no doubt that MMJ is one of the reasons I am less depressed as of the last few years than... I can remember, this is the best I have felt in my life.

I'm not a doc, and I don't play one on TV :) ....

This reminded me of a video of this guy from a forum (NOT a competing cannabis forum!!! just a silly site).. He was being interviewed, he is a doctor of english.. They ask about his title of Dr. in the interview to which he replied "I am not a medical doctor, I just play one on the internet to sell prescription medicine online..."
This was on G4 tv, he proceeded to lie about everything having to do with himself and the site he works for, it was HILARIOUS. I will look up the rules about posting this kind of stuff.
Laughter is medicine right? I think it goes GREAT with MMJ! :yummy: BACK TO THE TOPIC MATTER!

Smoke2J's, if you are on anti-depressants, because their main method of action tends to be to regulate serotonin.. some of them interact with cannabis. I would be very careful, they don't exactly do interaction studies for pot.. I know when I was on one, I would smoke and feel it for days.. Which scared me. Be healthy, be safe!
I remember I had seen a chart talking about interactions with MMJ and the specific types of anti-depressants.. I will try to locate it. :Namaste:

I've been suffering from a type of depression called cyclothymia for 15 years.

I suffered a lower back injury that took 18 months before I could walk in 1995.

I was put on antidepressants and antianxiety pharmaceuticals, which I still take under the supervision of my Psychiatrist for pain relief.

I've found that strains like God bud, Northern Lights#5, and Master Kush help me along with my other drugs.

So I grow these varieties.

Legalize NOW!

Smoke2J's, if you are on anti-depressants, because their main method of action tends to be to regulate serotonin.. some of them interact with cannabis. I would be very careful, they don't exactly do interaction studies for pot.. I know when I was on one, I would smoke and feel it for days.. Which scared me. Be healthy, be safe!
I remember I had seen a chart talking about interactions with MMJ and the specific types of anti-depressants.. I will try to locate it. :Namaste:
My med mimics MMJ, and works alongside it. It is something my VA docs and I talked about, I wanted to make sure that I would not go batshit crazy and start painting ballons on everything.

My med mimics MMJ, and works alongside it. It is something my VA docs and I talked about, I wanted to make sure that I would not go batshit crazy and start painting ballons on everything.

Thank you Smoke2Js, you have just given me a smile after being a gibbering wreck for most of the day. :bigblush: (ps I know that the going batshit crazy isn't funny...but your way with words really tickled me because I know what batshit crazy is like!)

...and I must show my other half your post. He swears I made the phrase "batshit" up! :phew:

Back
Top Bottom