Potentiometer

Hi guys

I have another question for you all. I have finished my build and the potentiometer is connected. Without the potentiometer I am getting 440w out of the wall, but with it I am getting 390w. Is this ok and normal ?

That is an indication that you don't have enough resistance value for the pot. When the drivers see essentially infinite resistance on the dimmer circuit it runs at 100% driver output. As the resistance decreases, the driver interprets that as commanding a reduced output.

Cheese, measure the resistance of the pot with an ohm meter. I'm going to bet that you find max resistance to be less than 100k. I grabbed a meter and measured pots at Radio Shack when I bought mine and found two that were under spec.

Measure the resistance of the pot with an ohm meter. I'm going to bet that you find max resistance to be less than 100k. I grabbed a meter and measured pots at Radio Shack when I bought mine and found two that were under spec.
Thanks for the reply Rider

It is a 50k as I am using it on 2 drivers, and it is from eBay. So you are probably right. I suppose I will just except it.

Just spit ballin' here-because you have a dual gang pot you could wire those two circuits in series so that when you twist the knob it doubles to 100k.

Hi guys

I have another question for you all. I have finished my build and the potentiometer is connected. Without the potentiometer I am getting 440w out of the wall, but with it I am getting 390w. Is this ok and normal ?

Sorry been busy. This is totally normal. If you have a B version Meanwell driver and you don't use the dimming, you will actually get over 100% of the rated power. I believe it's somewhere in the 5% area of bonus power. If you're running 2 hlg-185's which give you 200w of power each then 390 would be typical with 2 drivers. 440 would also be typical if you cap your dimming leads and don't use them.

Back
Top Bottom