proper watering in hot temperatures

Outseider

Hi
I have planted some plants in my balcony . Where I live, the weather is hot, about 90 - 92 F (32 - 34 C ) at noon and sun is almost direct and sharp. It's almost dry here I can say humidity is 13% . It is my first time grow, but I actually rummaged the internet for best information to grow my plants. My problem is that my plants seem to suffer from the heat and sunlight, as you can see in photos the lower leaves are burnt although I try to prevent the soil from being dried out.
I read somewhere that to prevent overwatering marijuanna you better water whenever 2 centimeters of soil is dried, otherwise you risk your plants for overwatering, which minimizes the amount of THC produced. I found that this method doesn't work for me as I water at morning and 24 hours after that the top layer of soil is still kind of wet but the leaves are limp and floppy and at noon the lower leaves start to burn even more while the soil in the pot is yet to dry out (still wet) . I don't know what to do about it since I have the fear of overwatering my plants.

Another problem I have is that my plants seem to to grow slower than usual It's more than 2 months that I have planted them as seeds but you see the sizes (I don't know if they have been stressed, it's a Probability).

I would be grateful if anyone who has the experience or knowledge help me on this.

IMAG002431.jpg
IMAG002333.jpg
IMAG002230.jpg
IMAG002126.jpg

Thank you for reading.

Put them in a bigger pot. I can bet they're rootbound by this point. That will also help with water retention.

I prefer to water just after sunset. I figure it gives the water the maximum time for absorption before the sun comes around again to dry things out.

It's just too hot for them. If you can, put a black mesh like nursery's have, above the plants. Build a simple wood frame to staple it to. They'll get enough light but the heat will be filtered out. In my area peak heat is around 4:30 and I'm lucky enough that my plants get morning sun until 3. The healthier the plant is the better it will do in the heat. Typically anything in the 90's they pretty much shut down which explains the stunted growth. Droopy plants with moist soil means they are stressed.

Put them in a bigger pot. I can bet they're rootbound by this point. That will also help with water retention.
Well I just finished changing the pots... hope it works. I'm very eager to harvest my first grows and I'm tired of waiting.And yes I guess they were rootbound. tnx anyway.

It's just too hot for them. If you can, put a black mesh like nursery's have, above the plants. Build a simple wood frame to staple it to. They'll get enough light but the heat will be filtered out. In my area peak heat is around 4:30 and I'm lucky enough that my plants get morning sun until 3. The healthier the plant is the better it will do in the heat. Typically anything in the 90's they pretty much shut down which explains the stunted growth. Droopy plants with moist soil means they are stressed.

You mean something like a net? And what about daytime shadows ? I mean putting them in places while it's totally light but only is hidden from direct sunlight. does the plant absorb light while in the daytime shadow , hidden from direct sunlight?

tnx for reply.

I've grown cannabis in temps reaching 110F (sun temps) and it did well. Repot it, water more often, and she'll be fine.

Back
Top Bottom