Pruning effects on yield?

They’re actually called ‘leaves’
not ‘removes’
or prunes...

like... duh ;)

There's a lot of that in the average defoliation thread ;). It has its uses. So does fire, though, but most people don't run around torching everything in sight. That's my biggest gripe with the practice - some folks seem to think it's supposed to be done all the time, like... Yeah, ya wants to grow yer pot, ya gots to shine a light on them plants, ya gots to feed them b!tches, ya gots to water them, ya gots to go in there regularly and rip off their leaves, ya gots to... Leave your f*cking brain at the door, I guess.

F*ck sakes, if I want a healthy plant in DWC, I'd better plan on keeping its root system in a tank of water. That mean all you soil growers need to keep the bucket of dirt soggy, lol? I think not. And y'all probably get that, because...
like... duh ;)
...but apparently the whole "defoliation" thing bypasses people's brains altogether.

My favorite part of discussions about the practice is when someone chimes in that they did it and it must have been a good thing - because their plants grew new leaves to replace the ones the person had removed.

Because then my time spent reading the thread wasn't wasted - it produced a laugh. . . .

No Pain,

Agree to disagree - we all on the same team. :passitleft:

I don't always grow nug trees. Got some Haze going now - they are perfect shape for a scrog.

Left my nets at the door cause I have Chemdawg in the back row. She's a monster and so are her sisters - @ 8' indoors. I need room.

I do cut off all the low down LAF at flip. Mainly because air flow, pests and hermies. lol

No Pain,

Agree to disagree - we all on the same team. :passitleft:

I don't always grow nug trees. Got some Haze going now - they are perfect shape for a scrog.

Left my nets at the door cause I have Chemdawg in the back row. She's a monster and so are her sisters - @ 8' indoors. I need room.

I do cut off all the low down LAF at flip. Mainly because air flow, pests and hermies. lol
Agreed
yes for airflow and to keep pest at bay I hear you … this is my AK47 in the main room before and after taking a 13gal bag full of fans during flower and adding a support trellis again just the fans it was a jungle in there I tell ya . It definatley aided with airflow and help me keep an eye on things .
IMG_5518.JPG
IMG_5521.JPG
IMG_5523.JPG

Good conversation all round. What I find disheartening with ‘defoliation’, besides the word itself which brings to my imagination horrors of the Vietnam war, is that so many new growers seem to be so driven to do it, at all stages of growth.
It goes like this-
‘It had so many leaves so I chopped a bunch off’.
I really don’t get it. Where are they getting this idea I wonder...

I'm thinking it's like this: Tell some kid to do something in his cannabis grow. He does, manages to produce a harvest (because of, in spite of, or purely as a coincidence) - and that thing is now locked into his methodology tighter than coins in a miser's fist.

I'm starting to think the best thing we can do for young would-be cannabis growers is to leave them alone. They'll figure things out on their own, eventually. It's not rocket science.

Good conversation all round. What I find disheartening with ‘defoliation’, besides the word itself which brings to my imagination horrors of the Vietnam war, is that so many new growers seem to be so driven to do it, at all stages of growth.
It goes like this-
‘It had so many leaves so I chopped a bunch off’.
I really don’t get it. Where are they getting this idea I wonder...
I hear you weasel . I feel that it has become ever so popular after the book "3 a light" had been published. Now I never read it but to the best of my knowledge it timed extreme defoliation such as what I did to my test ak47 on the first page that is a week or so ahead of my main grow. I would be lying if I didn't say that I felt bad as I felt that I truly devastated the plant . Anyway im sure they are getting the idea when searching how to increase yields and a big downfall is they aren't even familiar with the plant or issues that a grower will come across in a grow let alone having their environment dialed in. I didn't start plucking leaves , topping , lsting or supercropping until I started scrogging and it was due to necessity in my eyes for that style grow .

The reason you have that question is the reason I did my best to give a description as to how ,why and when it could be necessary. We can only offer up as much truthful information as we have from all sides of the spectrum and it is up to the grower be it them being new or vet'ed to decide whether its doe or not .

Its kind of like common question "is it ready" and even with all the information and tools at their disposal they still pick it early . We are living in a world that craves quantity and instant gratification. To me Growing Cannabis is an art no matter your style or technique and above all requires patience especially in the end ….Let it start to die I say ...let the leafs start to change color and then start looking at your trichs.

I use my profile pjcture as an example all the time but its because i literally busted every growers myth in a onner.
Its an auto that was fimmed,
lst'd the shit out of.
Supercropped all over the place.
Tied down some more,
grown with shitty 10 year old blurples and generally shouted at quite a lot.
Only went over half strength nutes for 3 weeks in early bloom,
ran the res at 25*c+ most of the time,

And most importantly,
I was chopping bits off her pretty heavily from week 3 right the way through.
Must have chopped at least 3 shopping bags full of leaves for the grow and i took about 2 dozen colas off her during the stretch to make room and i still got 22oz..... from an auto....
Not a snowballs chance in hell i wouldve got anywhere near that if i hadnt pushed her to the limit with trimmi g and training every other day.
5oz of it was a little bit cheeky but no complaints.

If you leave your plants to grow naturally then you shouldnt have to trim them as they naturally grow in a pretty convenient shape..... outdoors.... or if you have 10ft high ceilings and enough light for a 5 a side pitch.

For the average grower who has to bend and train their plants because otherwise the lights will fry them.
Or those cavemen types like myself who still use blurp,e power then it generally becomes a bit of a neccesity in order to fully develop the plant.

Thats my 50p. Its 02.12 and im fairly sure i managed to do that without swearing lol.

I'm thinking it's like this: Tell some kid to do something in his cannabis grow. He does, manages to produce a harvest (because of, in spite of, or purely as a coincidence) - and that thing is now locked into his methodology tighter than coins in a miser's fist.

I'm starting to think the best thing we can do for young would-be cannabis growers is to leave them alone. They'll figure things out on their own, eventually. It's not rocket science.
Right let them get to know what it is they are growing … when I first started in the early 90's the only thing I had was ask "Ed" and a growers handbook . There was no one to reach out to, if it wasn't in the book it was called figure it out . I must have read through that book 10 times over . lol Not to mention I was running Hydro back then.

I use my profile pjcture as an example all the time but its because i literally busted every growers myth in a onner.
Its an auto that was fimmed,
lst'd the shit out of.
Supercropped all over the place.
Tied down some more,
grown with shitty 10 year old blurples and generally shouted at quite a lot.
Only went over half strength nutes for 3 weeks in early bloom,
ran the res at 25*c+ most of the time,

And most importantly,
I was chopping bits off her pretty heavily from week 3 right the way through.
Must have chopped at least 3 shopping bags full of leaves for the grow and i took about 2 dozen colas off her during the stretch to make room and i still got 22oz..... from an auto....
Not a snowballs chance in hell i wouldve got anywhere near that if i hadnt pushed her to the limit with trimmi g and training every other day.
5oz of it was a little bit cheeky but no complaints.

If you leave your plants to grow naturally then you shouldnt have to trim them as they naturally grow in a pretty convenient shape..... outdoors.... or if you have 10ft high ceilings and enough light for a 5 a side pitch.

For the average grower who has to bend and train their plants because otherwise the lights will fry them.
Or those cavemen types like myself who still use blurp,e power then it generally becomes a bit of a neccesity in order to fully develop the plant.

Thats my 50p. Its 02.12 and im fairly sure i managed to do that without swearing lol.
yes you did barney ...you are turning quite the leaf ...without cursing and writing how to posts ! My Hat is off to you !

Ahh bollocks, managed about 30 words and 4 lines. Only swore once though lol
I wouldn't really call "shitty" truly cursing as you used it as a "dramatic description " not as an angry statement .:passitleft:

It pops up on friends and big bang in the middle of the day so i concurr. Not a swear word if used in my context. Thanks for havin ma back bro lol
you got it brother !

I defoliate about 20 days into flower :ciao: but only upper most fans and only about 15 - 20 at a time :cheesygrinsmiley: this keeps the plant from stressing and opens bud sites to more light :nerd-with-glasses:then about 40-50 days in (depending on strain) I defoliate again to open more bud sites:thumb: ...Just my 2 cents
No defoliation before 12/12 flip ? this help in transition and bud sites

I hear you weasel . I feel that it has become ever so popular after the book "3 a light" had been published. Now I never read it but to the best of my knowledge it timed extreme defoliation such as what I did to my test ak47 on the first page that is a week or so ahead of my main grow. I would be lying if I didn't say that I felt bad as I felt that I truly devastated the plant . Anyway im sure they are getting the idea when searching how to increase yields and a big downfall is they aren't even familiar with the plant or issues that a grower will come across in a grow let alone having their environment dialed in. I didn't start plucking leaves , topping , lsting or supercropping until I started scrogging and it was due to necessity in my eyes for that style grow .

The reason you have that question is the reason I did my best to give a description as to how ,why and when it could be necessary. We can only offer up as much truthful information as we have from all sides of the spectrum and it is up to the grower be it them being new or vet'ed to decide whether its doe or not .

Its kind of like common question "is it ready" and even with all the information and tools at their disposal they still pick it early . We are living in a world that craves quantity and instant gratification. To me Growing Cannabis is an art no matter your style or technique and above all requires patience especially in the end ….Let it start to die I say ...let the leafs start to change color and then start looking at your trichs.

It's called "Schwazzing" they do a heavy defoilation at week 4 of veg - 1 day before 12/12 flip and then again at day 21 in flower. They do this because of light pentration to bud sites - it works but it/s strain dependent - i that bbok you metioned cost $300.00 !!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAY TO MUCH

Ooh er mate, you could choke a donkey with that thing!
:rofl::rofl: That's funny cause someone else said it looked like "some donkey wangs going on" :rofl::rofl:...I was and still am rather proud of her :thanks: just wish I had a better camera @ the time :hmmmm: ...hoping my manifold does even better :thumb: we'll see :cheer::cheer::cheer:

and before she went into flower

:rofl::rofl: That's funny cause someone else said it looked like "some donkey wangs going on" :rofl::rofl:...I was and still am rather proud of her :thanks: just wish I had a better camera @ the time :hmmmm: ...hoping my manifold does even better :thumb: we'll see :cheer::cheer::cheer:

and before she went into flower

GREAT MAMIFOLD

It's called "Schwazzing" they do a heavy defoilation at week 4 of veg - 1 day before 12/12 flip and then again at day 21 in flower. They do this because of light pentration to bud sites - it works but it/s strain dependent - i that bbok you metioned cost $300.00 !!!!!!!!!!!!!! WAY TO MUCH
Yep that's it and yes way to much … I did mine at day 20 of 12/12 and then around day 50 on my test Ak47.

Back
Top Bottom