Pruning?

Manic Mike

Greetings Manic Mike here. Here is my set up.
7'x8' room with a 6'x3' tray- tight! 7' ceiling necessitates a scrog grow
4" rock wool blocks on top of Hydrotron (Mr. Souls?)
top feed drip irrigation 3 times a day
2 600w MH/HPS lights, 6" fan and ducting to outside air for cooling, Galaxy switichable (400w, 600w)ballasts
Hydrofarm dehumidifier, A/C, Titan Automatic CO2 controller
Temperature/ Humidity monitoring and Grow Check Combo Ph/ TDS Monitor
70gal reservoir that I run up to 60 gal in. This has a 290 gph pump with a 3 outlet manifold and venture aeration
7.8 l/hr air pump and 2 air stones
4" inline fan and carbon filter for smell

I am a degreed Biochemist and I have the Basics down. Worked in plant control for 20 years; unfortunately killing them. Now I need to figure out how to grow them. My priorities are quality only; cost and yield are irrelevant. I have a SCROG grow in Week 4-5 where I just flipped the light cycle 1 week ago. The grow is insane and I am having trouble keeping it below the net. I snapped a main stem or two and knocked off a couple of beautiful fan leaves last training session. I hear not to remove the fan leaves unless they are covering a budding site; would this refer to the apical meristem (top of main stem)? Plants are getting crowded with definite overlap of the fan leaves just below the screen. I feel like I need to thin things out, yet my training tells me to leave the fan leaves alone. Should I remove the Fan leaves and get open space or let them Grow. Last question- on MrSouls grow (rock wool on hydrotron top feed drip irrigation) did I read correctly, that they are running the nutrients 24/7? Tried for the pictures, but I have not figured them out yet- too small.....

P10209171.JPG
P10208911.JPG
P10208851.JPG

I wouldn't worry too much about the plants growing up through the net/screen for a scrog...thats what is supposed to happen :) As far as your pruning question....the answer is really about personal preference. With a scrog I would wait at least until about 3-4 weeks after your flip, usually around day 25 or so and you can remove leaves that either are too crowded to allow for better airflow, or ones that cover budsites. Some people remove no leaves and just let them die off before removing them, and some remove all fan leaves 5-6 nodes down from the top of the apical meristem. (remove all that are below the 5th or 6th leaf...) I have done both and really haven't noticed too much of a difference. With a scrog a mild/medium defoliation will help air transfer through the canopy and will help prevent Powdery Mildew and also help keep temperature down under the canopy. Really it is a matter of preference and the way I look at is, leaves are where much of the key photosynthesis processes takeplace, so to me, leaving them on is only helping the plant. I only remove dead leaves, ones that crowd the canopy too much and ones that are covering key budsites from direct lighting. Hope this helps...there really isn't a right or wrong though as I have found it really is up to each grower.

Back
Top Bottom