Question about clones from seeds, Ethos Genetics

corinth

So I'm pretty new to growing from seed and ill probably never go back to nursery clones, about a year ago I picked up a few packs of beans from ethos and grew 11 moms out and took 3 clones from each . I kept 1 clone in vege and I flowered the other 2. The 2 each in flower produced some of the biggest tightest most fragrant buds I've ever grown in 8 years of growing from clones. I had my favorite strains picked out of the 11 and then from the 3 that I kept in vege I started to clone the strains I liked the best but when they went into flower I noticed they didn't grow as healthy and came out nowhere close to as good as the initial clones I took from the moms. I'm thinking now I shoulda just kept the initial mom from the 1st bean I grew? Does recloning separate generations of the same plant degrade the overall genetics? I'm on my 2nd attempt to grow from the new batch of clones and I notice there not performing as well as they did last year... whats going in should I just quit with these and buy new beans and start from them again and make sure I keep the moms all year long and only take clones from them?? Please chime in , I've probably wasted a few grand trying to figure this out..

Welcome back to 20 Magazine @corinth

It would be a lot easier to help if you could post some images?
Are you growing in soil?

Here's some helpful info.

Welcome New Members - Please Read Before Posting

Here is some information if you would like to start a a grow journal How to Make a Grow Journal

If you want to see want other growers are doing, here's that link. This is where you place your journal.

Journals in Progress

Current and Ongoing
www.420magazine.com

Check this out.

Rosin

A more natural, solvent-free cannabinoid extraction process using heat and pressure
www.420magazine.com

And, after you have over 50 posts you can vote and enter our contest to win free grow stuff from our sponsors.

420 Contests
Win Cool 420 Prizes
www.420magazine.com

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,

Tok..

defs not an expert, just a gardener trying to learn…

the rule of a clone is threefold… a clone is always same gender, same genetics and same age as the host plant it was cut from. Its not just a copy of the mother- it’s a living segment of the original host plant that is now rooted and doing it’s thang…

Yes the best practice is to keep clone moms. In theory one can successful clone generation after generation, but in reality there are limitations on how many generations we can successfully clone out and that we introduce pathogens over time doing the clone after clone after clone deal causing loss of vigor.

everything about cutting and handling clones needs to be sterile clean… Agree if you have already experienced loss of plant vigor- it’s best to cut bait and start over with fresh genetics from seed.

Anywho that’s my understanding and if I’ve got it wrong here then I’m always happy to be corrected.

the rule of a clone is threefold… a clone is always same gender, same genetics and same age as the host plant it was cut from. Its not just a copy of the mother- it’s a living segment of the original host plant that is now rooted and doing it’s thang…
Yes. Some of the "thangs" it is doing are the same as the mother plant was doing.:).

Yes the best practice is to keep clone moms. In theory one can successful clone generation after generation, but in reality there are limitations on how many generations we can successfully clone out and that we introduce pathogens over time doing the clone after clone after clone deal causing loss of vigor.
I thought I had hit that point about 20 months ago and was going to be forced to give up on my Blue Dream clones from clones. But, I kept at it and my Blue Dream plants are back on track. And what a ride it has been since about October, 2021. Anyway, the first photo is Blue Dream #4.2.7.8.1.1.2.1.3.1 several minutes before I put it into the flowering tent on 05-01-23. This particular plant is 9 generations plus the original plant from seed. So, BD 4 is the seed, and BD 4.2 would be a cutting from the next generation of clones and BD 4.2.7 would be a cutting taken from plant BD 4.2 and BD 4.2.7.8 would be a cutting from BD 4.2.7 and so on. Hope you can follow that.

The plant was 32.5 inches tall from soil to the tip of main growing bud on 05-03 and has been holding at 39 3/4 inches since 05-25-23.

full

And the second one below is the same plant but from earlier today. I am planning on pulling it out of the flowering tent and harvesting on July 3rd or 4th (8 weeks from the development of the first stigma/pistils). The 2nd photo shows approximately the top half of the plant. Think of what the main stem of buds would look like if they had all grown off of the main stem instead of being a clone with the usual many side branches. There are more heavy buds on major growing branches in the bottom of the plant but I did not include that portion in this photo.

Not sure how much I will get off this one clone but am figuring it will be a 80 to 100 gram harvest dried when the lower half is included. The lower half seems to have a fair number of 2 and 3 inch buds.

Sorry about the quality of the second photo. Should have moved it to the other side of the tent.

full

Back
Top Bottom