Questions about FFOF and Black Gold

Hondo23

Hello there everybody! Been lurking the forums for awhile and finally decided to post after my first grow...needless to say I did t have a green thumb my 1st grow it was a complete failure. We had alot of unknown varibles which led to the non succrssful grow. This time I want success. So I figured I'd reach to the community for help. So this time around I decided to go with autoflowering again this time white widow. So to the question. This time around I decided to go with frog instead of black gold. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to mix the two because I'm a bit nervous after reading more in depth about the soil it can sometimes come too hot. I was curious if you guys/gals thought it would be a good idea to mix the 2 or pick up a bag of ffhf and mix 50/50. I will also be adding perlite and dolomite lime to a 5 gallon pot. I'm not translating this time either germinate then directly into the soil. Any tips or advice to help me have a much better grow This time around would be most welcoming!

Sent from my LG-H910 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I'm sure you can mix them, I use fox farm coco loco. I have no problem with it being to hot. I mix 3 to 1 with perlite and start nutes week 3 or 4, just depends on how the plant is looking. Check out my journals if you have any questions just ask.

Odin's 2nd Go - Pineapple Express In Soil

Odinsmaster's Soil Girl Scout Cookies Grow Journal - 2016

Converting a 6.5x 5.5 closet for my second grow
Odin! Thanks so much and I have spend awhile looking at your journals god man you got a green thumb and a half holy hell. Very very nice work I can only hope to be half the grower you are. I saw in both your journals about topping an auto flower I thought you werent suppose to top but only lst them?

O wow I must have missed that do you know of any how to vids I'm not a botanist by any means and would have no idea where to cut I believe your cutting the main cola right? God I feel like a dumbass

420-magazine-mobile203594975.jpg

I top above the third set of main leafs

Odin's 2nd Go - Pineapple Express In Soil

Odinsmaster's Soil Girl Scout Cookies Grow Journal - 2016

Converting a 6.5x 5.5 closet for my second grow

thanks odin, im gonna take this nice and easy still a little scared about the topping but ill just take it slow and make sure not to screw up. I also subbed to your journal. You have some amazing plants there. I may even start a journal myself you have inspired me sir. thanks a bunch!

Hondo skip the Blackgold and cut the Happy Frog with perlite if you're really worried, but in my experience Happy Frog has been great for starting seeds so I've never seen it come too hot. Are you sure you're not reading about Ocean Forest? That has loads of Fish Emulsion in it, lots of nutrients, better to switch into that for flower or cut a mix of Happy Frog and Ocean Forrest 50/50. Happy Frog is basically their "living soil", it comes with a ton of beneficials in it. As the term implies, they're beneficial, especially for young plants.

Blackgold All Purpose is actually hotter than Happy Frog or Ocean Forrest if I remember right. I also avoid it now after having 3 out of 3 bags of Blackgold Natural and Organic come with free fungus gnats.

Happy Frog isn't very nutritious though, once you get into late veg and flower you're going to start running depleted and need to feed mostly with bottled or whatever supplementary nutrients you planned on using. Easy solution would be to transplant into Ocean Forrest after a couple of weeks, but I can't speak to the success of that since I'm only trying it for the first time now myself.

However, I HAVE flowered a few times with Black Gold and Happy Frog, and they really don't hold onto their own nutrients through mid flower. At that point you have to give the plants everything they eat via supplement so it's easy to starve or over-feed--maybe with autos you won't really run into this since they finish faster and stay a little smaller. Good practice if you want to transition into something like coco or hydro though.

Hondo skip the Blackgold and cut the Happy Frog with perlite if you're really worried, but in my experience Happy Frog has been great for starting seeds so I've never seen it come too hot. Are you sure you're not reading about Ocean Forest? That has loads of Fish Emulsion in it, lots of nutrients, better to switch into that for flower or cut a mix of Happy Frog and Ocean Forrest 50/50. Happy Frog is basically their "living soil", it comes with a ton of beneficials in it. As the term implies, they're beneficial, especially for young plants.

Blackgold All Purpose is actually hotter than Happy Frog or Ocean Forrest if I remember right. I also avoid it now after having 3 out of 3 bags of Blackgold Natural and Organic come with free fungus gnats.

Happy Frog isn't very nutritious though, once you get into late veg and flower you're going to start running depleted and need to feed mostly with bottled or whatever supplementary nutrients you planned on using. Easy solution would be to transplant into Ocean Forrest after a couple of weeks, but I can't speak to the success of that since I'm only trying it for the first time now myself.

However, I HAVE flowered a few times with Black Gold and Happy Frog, and they really don't hold onto their own nutrients through mid flower. At that point you have to give the plants everything they eat via supplement so it's easy to starve or over-feed--maybe with autos you won't really run into this since they finish faster and stay a little smaller. Good practice if you want to transition into something like coco or hydro though.
Hey fert I guess there was a typo i gotta fix it but it should have read that I have ffof now and I'm worried about that soil being too hot I have some left over black gold I was gonna mix it with. Does that make sense?

Hey fert I guess there was a typo i gotta fix it but it should have read that I have ffof now and I'm worried about that soil being too hot I have some left over black gold I was gonna mix it with. Does that make sense?

Ohh okay I misread probably. That sounds like it would be okay, I looked up the NPK of Black Gold and it was lower than I remembered. I only ever used their Natural and Organic brand before though--simply because it was cheaper. I can't recommend it after the fungus gnats, but clones and seedlings seemed very happy in it.

No no fert you were 100% correct. It was my fault for not proofing I was at work at the time of the post lol. So fert would you suggest grabbing a bag of happy frog to cut the of with? I will say that the last grow we had alot of fungus gnats it was really annoying. I would transplant but since its an auto I don't want to take the chance we translated our first grow and one of the plants never recovered but I also think ph lockout played a huge role in the first grow I just want a successful grow this time around . I was severely disapointed with the last grow.

Yeah I would bet the gnats came from the Black gold.

When you say that you germinated them straight into soil instead of transplanting I'm wondering what size pot you planted them into and was it the same one you finished in?

Ideally, you wanna start a pot plant out in a small container like a solo cup, and as it grows into that, you then unpot it and transplant it into a larger container. That would be ideal in this situation too because you can start your seeds in Happy Frog, then once you're deep into veg you can transplant into Ocean Forrest.

Hello there everybody! Been lurking the forums for awhile and finally decided to post after my first grow...needless to say I did t have a green thumb my 1st grow it was a complete failure. We had alot of unknown varibles which led to the non succrssful grow. This time I want success. So I figured I'd reach to the community for help. So this time around I decided to go with autoflowering again this time white widow. So to the question. This time around I decided to go with frog instead of black gold. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to mix the two because I'm a bit nervous after reading more in depth about the soil it can sometimes come too hot. I was curious if you guys/gals thought it would be a good idea to mix the 2 or pick up a bag of ffhf and mix 50/50. I will also be adding perlite and dolomite lime to a 5 gallon pot. I'm not translating this time either germinate then directly into the soil. Any tips or advice to help me have a much better grow This time around would be most welcoming!

Hey

I biggest failure first two grows was ph in soil was 7+ should be around 6 ish I didn't lst, top or properly adjust lights and monitor height weekly specially during vege. Don't over feed nutes to auto s. First four weeks just adjusted ph water that's it. After that your call to add nutes. I do by very little only once a week and every other week starting in preflower. What's Temps keep in yet 68-85 I heard and 82 I'd my sweet spot in my tent. Understand however, this is only my opinion I'm sure others would challange. To me if it makes sense I would go with it. Good luck on your journey.

How to grow in Coco - Feed schedule

Yeah I would bet the gnats came from the Black gold.

When you say that you germinated them straight into soil instead of transplanting I'm wondering what size pot you planted them into and was it the same one you finished in?

Ideally, you wanna start a pot plant out in a small container like a solo cup, and as it grows into that, you then unpot it and transplant it into a larger container. That would be ideal in this situation too because you can start your seeds in Happy Frog, then once you're deep into veg you can transplant into Ocean Forrest.
Well I'm growing auto and from what I read its not a good idea for them as they have a hard time recouping from the move,with the first grow we did we had 2 plants stunted from the move so I was going to put the germinated seed right into its final home and skip transplanting this time around. I think ill take your advice and not mix with black gold ill have to pick up a bag if happy frog to mix it with

Back
Top Bottom