Quick trimming question

So my plants are growing fine.. but i noticed today that i had some massive fan leaves that were growing under the canopy, and they ended at just the leaf, no offshots, nothing out the end of the stalk.. just stalk, then leaf... ok to remove these so they don't waste energy?
Who told you that these were wasting any energy? There are many valid reasons for removing leaves under the canopy that are not going to get light, and for trimming off shoots that will never reach canopy height so that energy is not spent in developing those buds. Removing a leaf that is producing sugars and energy for the plant, as well as storing up nutrients for future needs, should be avoided if possible. In late veg, right before going to flower, a lot of people will trim almost all growth below the canopy for added airflow, and to concentrate energy to the top buds... but any leaves that are getting good light are helping you to produce your final yield... remove them at your own risk.

Who told you that these were wasting any energy? There are many valid reasons for removing leaves under the canopy that are not going to get light, and for trimming off shoots that will never reach canopy height so that energy is not spent in developing those buds. Removing a leaf that is producing sugars and energy for the plant, as well as storing up nutrients for future needs, should be avoided if possible. In late veg, right before going to flower, a lot of people will trim almost all growth below the canopy for added airflow, and to concentrate energy to the top buds... but any leaves that are getting good light are helping you to produce your final yield... remove them at your own risk.

Thank you Em, This one was not getting much light at all.. but know better for the future now.. i normally remove the tiny leaves way down on stems that are burried.. but this was the first really big one..

@Icetech I'm right here with you on the trimming dilemma, my girls are squat little tangled messes with ALOT of shaded leaves and off shoots! My friend told me leave 4 or 5 nodes on your main shoots, clear the rest below, but I'm not sure when and the thought pretty much terrifies me to cut those cute little shoots. I know I can try and clone them but I'm not quite knowledgeable or set up for that and already have seedlings going for another grow (too early, too many, germination obsession is a bad thing). Before I do anything I guess I need to get my shit together on cloning. I might have some surplus LA Confidential's here soon MI growers!

I'm not a pro, but i have no issue at all pinching off those little tiny ones right near the main stem.. i can't see them ever getting much light or doing anything.

@Icetech I'm right here with you on the trimming dilemma, my girls are squat little tangled messes with ALOT of shaded leaves and off shoots! My friend told me leave 4 or 5 nodes on your main shoots, clear the rest below, but I'm not sure when and the thought pretty much terrifies me to cut those cute little shoots. I know I can try and clone them but I'm not quite knowledgeable or set up for that and already have seedlings going for another grow (too early, too many, germination obsession is a bad thing). Before I do anything I guess I need to get my shit together on cloning. I might have some surplus LA Confidential's here soon MI growers!

i did a manifold and i constantly look at the plant from the side and get right under the canopy and snip off little shoots that i know wont ever amount to anything because they wont reach canopy.
i also defoliate bid fan leaves that overgrow and cover future bud sites in the canopy if i dont jave the space to tuck them under or keep them out of the way.
i really am regretting doing the mainline method, it seems to encourage big fan leaves covering bud sites because of the way the plant is defiliated and trained. im going to stick with just normal topping and lst from here on out.

Back
Top Bottom