Re-intro

JV44

420 Member
Hello everybody...I actually joined the 420mag forum maybe 10 to 15 years ago but rarely posted anything because I've been flying by the seat of my pants with regards to growing and was (and still am) rather intimidated, or maybe overwhelmed is a better word, by so many growers with so much more experience and knowledge than I...such that I quit visiting any cannabis growing forums altogether. For years. And then on Aug. 1 last year my home state of Minnesota made adult recreational cannabis use, possession, growing LEGAL--with some limitations, of course. This has changed everything! :D

A brief synopsis: I've always grown only autoflowers only, trying to make coco coir a workable growing medium with Airpots (and lower priced knockoffs) with limited success. I've gone through a number of cheap plastic ph meters and have given up on them until I can save up enough to get a really good one--I do have a small, cheap, plastic tds meter but need to learn how to use it. This year I'm trying photo period fems for the first time ever, I have three girls started already, 2 Red Banana Berry (Growers Choice Seeds) one is 50 days old, the other is 41 days...and 1 Red, Red Wine by Perfect Tree Seeds also @ 41 days. I plan on digging in all 3 in their Autopots into the ground sometime in mid/late May--I may add an auto fem just for comparison.

Another huge obstacle for me has been settling on a grow mix that would work consistently with my Autopots. My best friend Marcus, who I taught everything I know about growing, swears by ordinary Miracle Gro potting mix which, for me, does NOT pair well Auto Pots--it tends to burn seedling s. If I duplicate EXACTLY what Marcus does--straight up MG potting mix in solid-sided plastic pots, water ONLY--no nutes at all (!) through to harvest...then it works for me! But I refuse to give up my (many) airpots and revert to inferior solid-sided plastic pots.

O.K., I need to sleep now--I'll post again later after I wake up and deal with my insane chronic pain--later people, hope you all have a great day!

Mike

Hello everybody...I actually joined the 420mag forum maybe 10 to 15 years ago but rarely posted anything because I've been flying by the seat of my pants with regards to growing and was (and still am) rather intimidated, or maybe overwhelmed is a better word, by so many growers with so much more experience and knowledge than I...such that I quit visiting any cannabis growing forums altogether. For years. And then on Aug. 1 last year my home state of Minnesota made adult recreational cannabis use, possession, growing LEGAL--with some limitations, of course. This has changed everything! :D

A brief synopsis: I've always grown only autoflowers only, trying to make coco coir a workable growing medium with Airpots (and lower priced knockoffs) with limited success. I've gone through a number of cheap plastic ph meters and have given up on them until I can save up enough to get a really good one--I do have a small, cheap, plastic tds meter but need to learn how to use it. This year I'm trying photo period fems for the first time ever, I have three girls started already, 2 Red Banana Berry (Growers Choice Seeds) one is 50 days old, the other is 41 days...and 1 Red, Red Wine by Perfect Tree Seeds also @ 41 days. I plan on digging in all 3 in their Autopots into the ground sometime in mid/late May--I may add an auto fem just for comparison.

Another huge obstacle for me has been settling on a grow mix that would work consistently with my Autopots. My best friend Marcus, who I taught everything I know about growing, swears by ordinary Miracle Gro potting mix which, for me, does NOT pair well Auto Pots--it tends to burn seedling s. If I duplicate EXACTLY what Marcus does--straight up MG potting mix in solid-sided plastic pots, water ONLY--no nutes at all (!) through to harvest...then it works for me! But I refuse to give up my (many) airpots and revert to inferior solid-sided plastic pots.

O.K., I need to sleep now--I'll post again later after I wake up and deal with my insane chronic pain--later people, hope you all have a great day!

Mike
You came to right place Mike, when I first got started I knew nothing. But I was accepted into a family of friends who are excellent growers and have been growing ever since. Stick around and ask questions you’ll have all the help you need. Welcome to the 420 Magazine family. CL🍀. :thumb: :welcome: :circle-of-love::theband::circle-of-love::party:

Welcome back to 420 Magazine @JV44

Do you have any images of your current grow?
What kind of nutrients do you use?
Well you be starting a grow journal?

Here's some helpful info: Welcome New Members - Please Read Before Posting

Here is some information if you would like to start a grow journal How to Make a Grow Journal

If you want to see want other growers are doing, here's that link.

This is where you place your grow journal.

Journals in Progress: Current and Ongoing

And, after you have over 50 posts you can vote and enter our contests to win free grow stuff from our sponsors.

420 Contests: Win Cool 420 Prizes

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,

Tok.. :bong:

Mike
Glad your legal now my friend. :thumb:
Looking forward to chatting with you.
Hope everything grows well for you.

Stay safe
Bill284 😎

OK, just looked @ the "Welcome New Members"--lots of good stuff, I need to learn about posting photos among other things--also how to quote a specific question to answer it properly...so for now I'll just answer questions simply....and before I forget--thanks for the warm welcomes...this place may become a catharsis of sorts for this old man.

First ?--do I have any photos? Ah, yes, I just took three shots of my girls, now I need to find the short cable that connects my digital camera to my computer--as soon as I find it I'll post those pics. I do have lots of photos of girls I've grown over the past 15 years if you want to see some of them.

2nd ?:What nutes do I use? That's another big decision for me since I'm kind of starting over with growing and completely break from trying to make Miracle Gro potting mix work for me with my airpots. My choice of potting media to use for now and this growing season is Fox Farm. I read a lot of reviews on the 'zon--very good for the most part. I ordered (stupid me as you shall see..) a small size bag each of Ocean Forest, Happy Frog and Coco Loco almost 2 months ago and started some seeds. So far they are growing extremely well, such that I quickly realized they're outpacing my blooming girls and I actually gave 4 plants to my good friend Al to grow out--just give me some of the bud in return! None of the seedlings got "burned" at all, so already I like the FF soils.

About 12 days ago I sowed another 6 seeds in FF...three each of Sweet Seeds Red Gorilla Girl XL & Tropicanna Poison XL. They're all two weeks old w/ 2 nodes and kinda lanky--which baffles me as this would suggest lack of light, correct? I have them about 40" below a 3,000W LED (white full spectrum--not those purple things) most of the time, and full sun in a SSW facing window when we have sun. These also don't seem "burned" either, they pretty much look normal.

As for a Grow Journal, yes--eventually. I have a LOT to learn before that will happen. Today I started a book (of blank pages) with info about the flowering girls I have now--again, this is a first for me. But I want to get better @ growing, more solid buds, better techniques for bigger yields...one of these I'm reading about here with great interest--quadlining! Especially with autos, however I'm also interested in doing it with photo fems, one of the reasons I sowed those three photos to begin with.

I'll stop here for now, will write more later tonight or to morrow--gotta find that damn cable!

Have a great day everybody....

Mike

Great, so I managed to find the USB cable for my camera--the 3 pics I took last night are crap, all out of focus. I'm gonna try again after I finish posting this quick note.

In the meantime I've been having some issues w/ my left eye the past three days, kinda like darkness...called the clinic that did my cataract surgery last year--they got me in today @ 2:00, and they determined I have a detached retina! Got an appt. tomorrow @ 7:30 a.m. for something that takes up to three hours, then surgery to re-attach the retina...either tomorrow or Sat. (possibly Sunday) down in Mpls/St. Paul! Luckily my good friend Al--who I gave the four girls to last week--can drive me down there and stay the night--I have to stay there overnight after the surgery. Needless to say I'm just scared shitless!

Anyway, back in a bit with some better photos. I can't see worth a damn at the moment but I'm all wound up and freaked out and need to do something to occupy my mind...

Great, so I managed to find the USB cable for my camera--the 3 pics I took last night are crap, all out of focus. I'm gonna try again after I finish posting this quick note.

In the meantime I've been having some issues w/ my left eye the past three days, kinda like darkness...called the clinic that did my cataract surgery last year--they got me in today @ 2:00, and they determined I have a detached retina! Got an appt. tomorrow @ 7:30 a.m. for something that takes up to three hours, then surgery to re-attach the retina...either tomorrow or Sat. (possibly Sunday) down in Mpls/St. Paul! Luckily my good friend Al--who I gave the four girls to last week--can drive me down there and stay the night--I have to stay there overnight after the surgery. Needless to say I'm just scared shitless!

Anyway, back in a bit with some better photos. I can't see worth a damn at the moment but I'm all wound up and freaked out and need to do something to occupy my mind...
Good luck on the surgery. Here's hoping a quick recovery.

OK, I'm back. I'll post one pic alone first, not sure about sizing. Anyway this one is a Growers Choice Red Jack auto. I woke up one morning and now she's got 2 stems instead of 1--no topping or anything! She's 36" tall @ 83 days. No color whatsoever.

redjacktwintowers.JPG

Back
Top Bottom