Ready to switch to dark for 1-2 days?

CC420710

Okay I know I have had a lot of questions throughout the grow being my first time but I am at the end of grow or extremely close to harvest so this will be last question this grow. Don’t get to excited I’ll be back next grow which has already. So the question is she finally ready to prepare for chop? I know I have asked this question a couple times in the past amazing how far off I was looking back. I’m am fairly certain that she is ready now but could be wrong

Attachments

• A6F9914A-73F9-4D0D-819E-D049F36CDC38.jpeg
    A6F9914A-73F9-4D0D-819E-D049F36CDC38.jpeg
    611.9 KB · Views: 149
  • 68FFE83B-440A-488C-8314-65CF8E84DB58.jpeg
    68FFE83B-440A-488C-8314-65CF8E84DB58.jpeg
    776.3 KB · Views: 137
  • A32E9465-16D9-414D-A626-435EDA2DD9C0.jpeg
    A32E9465-16D9-414D-A626-435EDA2DD9C0.jpeg
    626.3 KB · Views: 148
  • 6A2029D5-9655-4058-B03E-1B2F0F5A8665.jpeg
    6A2029D5-9655-4058-B03E-1B2F0F5A8665.jpeg
    624.8 KB · Views: 142
  • A711D2DA-471B-408F-9F22-1B780F16F3F1.jpeg
    A711D2DA-471B-408F-9F22-1B780F16F3F1.jpeg
    629.2 KB · Views: 153
Hey there... looks like no one has answered you yet, so I'll chip in. I'm still pretty new, so be forewarned! :)

I see lots of cloudy, which means you are close if not done. If you want a more sleepy effect, I personally would wait for more amber. Also, you might think about getting a jeweler's loupe or magnifying glass to zoom in on the buds themselves - don't be fooled by the sugar leaves, as they ripen earlier. I have an inexpensive LED microscope that is pretty handy. It plugs into my laptop so I can scroll around to look at different parts.

Finally, there is an article in my signature about different harvest times and the resulting effect. It is a good read.

Nice looking buds - happy harvest!

I appreciate any help I can get being there seems to be a lot of different opinions when it comes time depending on preference. I started with jewelers loupe but it was too small for me. I just got my digital microscope today that I hooked to laptop and it helped a bunch but I am still unclear on how to judge them right. Like I see a few amber trichs on buds, many cloudy and a few clear still. So say I don’t mind a little sleepy especially at bedtime I want anything that will stop my dreams but prefer to be active when high usually. I like when I smoke and am still zoned in to tv not thinking about a cigarette for a bit but don’t want to fall asleep at the same time. What percentage amber do you prefer to reach?

I appreciate any help I can get being there seems to be a lot of different opinions when it comes time depending on preference. I started with jewelers loupe but it was too small for me. I just got my digital microscope today that I hooked to laptop and it helped a bunch but I am still unclear on how to judge them right. Like I see a few amber trichs on buds, many cloudy and a few clear still. So say I don’t mind a little sleepy especially at bedtime I want anything that will stop my dreams but prefer to be active when high usually. I like when I smoke and am still zoned in to tv not thinking about a cigarette for a bit but don’t want to fall asleep at the same time. What percentage amber do you prefer to reach?

Yes, I really like the microscope too. The loupe was too small and hard to use.

Personally, I grow mainly for sleepy meds in edibles. And so I look for about 25% amber, the rest cloudy. I really don't like a hyper buzz, so even for daytime use I look for all cloudy and a few ambers, and virtually no clear. Based on what you described you are looking for, I think you would like mostly cloudy, with just a few ambers. Hope that helps!

Personally, I grow mainly for sleepy meds in edibles. And so I look for about 25% amber, the rest cloudy. I really don't like a hyper buzz, so even for daytime use I look for all cloudy and a few ambers, and virtually no clear. Based on what you described you are looking for, I think you would like mostly cloudy, with just a few ambers. Hope that helps!

This is what my last plant looked like when I harvested. It was for daytime happy meds, not sleepy. Just a touch of amber...

Wed Jul 31 14-31-40.jpg

This is what my last plant looked like when I harvested. It was for daytime happy meds, not sleepy. Just a touch of amber...

Wed Jul 31 14-31-40.jpg
beautiful. I added more pics from my digital hope it helps

Attachments

• Fri Aug 23 18-00-16.jpg
    Fri Aug 23 18-00-16.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 134
  • Fri Aug 23 18-00-27.jpg
    Fri Aug 23 18-00-27.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 128
  • Fri Aug 23 18-00-32.jpg
    Fri Aug 23 18-00-32.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 124
  • Fri Aug 23 18-02-30.jpg
    Fri Aug 23 18-02-30.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 126
  • Fri Aug 23 18-02-09.jpg
    Fri Aug 23 18-02-09.jpg
    154.4 KB · Views: 118
  • Fri Aug 23 18-00-34.jpg
    Fri Aug 23 18-00-34.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 134
  • Fri Aug 23 18-02-34.jpg
    Fri Aug 23 18-02-34.jpg
    180.7 KB · Views: 141
The bards right... If you want a more heady buzz chop when trichomes are cloudy and If you want a body buzz sleep aide type buzz let the total % of trichomes be more amber then chop... Never chop when clear too early plant will have low thc and cbd... Good luck on the harvest :)

Personally, I grow mainly for sleepy meds in edibles. And so I look for about 25% amber, the rest cloudy. I really don't like a hyper buzz, so even for daytime use I look for all cloudy and a few ambers, and virtually no clear. Based on what you described you are looking for, I think you would like mostly cloudy, with just a few ambers. Hope that helps!l
Very much so thankyou for all the help

Pictures of trichs at harvest time. Also would like to mention that just because the trichomes are ready mean it's ready overall. Always wait till the pistols are most turned orange and then when trichs are ready. I have one out of 4 sisters that is running weeks behind being all sisters are harvested but she is still very hairy with white hairs. Trichomes say ready but hairs say not ready

Attachments

• Fri Aug 23 18-00-32.jpg
    Fri Aug 23 18-00-32.jpg
    209 KB · Views: 121
  • Tue Aug 27 14-30-35.jpg
    Tue Aug 27 14-30-35.jpg
    189 KB · Views: 125
  • Tue Aug 27 14-31-09.jpg
    Tue Aug 27 14-31-09.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 118
  • Tue Aug 27 14-37-26.jpg
    Tue Aug 27 14-37-26.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 114
Pictures of trichs at harvest time. Also would like to mention that just because the trichomes are ready mean it's ready overall. Always wait till the pistols are most turned orange and then when trichs are ready. I have one out of 4 sisters that is running weeks behind being all sisters are harvested but she is still very hairy with white hairs. Trichomes say ready but hairs say not ready

I have a bit a of a different take. I watch other factors like water uptake, pistils, leaf colour etc., but I harvest solely based on trichomes. I believe that all the THCa and CBDa are based in the trichs, so that is what determines when they get the axe.

I'm curious to understand your approach a bit better. Can you explain a bit why if the trichs are ready, you might wait for pistils? Just trying to learn a bit more.

From your pictures, your plants are what I’m waiting for on mine. I have about a week left I think. From everything I’ve read and seen with my grows the pistil color doesn’t matter. It is only used as an indicator for when to start checking the trichomes. When the trichomes are to the maturity you want for which effect, then they are ready. Here’s a picture of mine. I’ll chop mine when they look like yours

4515DDC6-9B00-4132-BC63-F46C744F72DE.png

From your pictures, your plants are what I’m waiting for on mine. I have about a week left I think. From everything I’ve read and seen with my grows the pistil color doesn’t matter. It is only used as an indicator for when to start checking the trichomes. When the trichomes are to the maturity you want for which effect, then they are ready. Here’s a picture of mine. I’ll chop mine when they look like yours

I agree with you on all of your points. Nice photo, by the way. :)

I agree with you on all of your points. Nice photo, by the way. :)

Thanks. I realized today that I have been taking pictures wrong with my USB scope. I was doing it while the grow lights are on and with the scope LED turned up. It would make clear trichomes look white. Now I have the grow lights off and the scope LED turned as low as I can get it. Now I can see the actual color of the trichomes. Has caused me to chop my last few grows too early :lot-o-toke:

Thanks. I realized today that I have been taking pictures wrong with my USB scope. I was doing it while the grow lights are on and with the scope LED turned up. It would make clear trichomes look white. Now I have the grow lights off and the scope LED turned as low as I can get it. Now I can see the actual color of the trichomes. Has caused me to chop my last few grows too early :lot-o-toke:

Good tip! I actually take a tiny cutting off the bud, and use a more stable stand for the microscope. Sample piece is tiny, but works just fine when magnified. You are completely right about the microscope light being turned way down.

Good tip! I actually take a tiny cutting off the bud, and use a more stable stand for the microscope. Sample piece is tiny, but works just fine when magnified. You are completely right about the microscope light being turned way down.
Yeah I’ve seen where people take a small piece. I just haven’t been able to bring myself to doing yet. I just turn the fans off and take a crap load of pictures all over the place. It’s a pain to get steady and focused pictures but I’m getting better at it the more I do it

I have a bit a of a different take. I watch other factors like water uptake, pistils, leaf colour etc., but I harvest solely based on trichomes. I believe that all the THCa and CBDa are based in the trichs, so that is what determines when they get the axe.

I'm curious to understand your approach a bit better. Can you explain a bit why if the trichs are ready, you might wait for pistils? Just trying to learn a bit more.
It’s just she doesn’t look ready other than trichomes. Still hairs sticking out white everywhere still. She hasn’t really filled out yet but is getting there. Two of her colas fell over with weight. Still attached not a problem. Her sisters were just harvested but she has another week or so to go. Otherwise I would be giving up a lot of her weight if I harvested based on trichomes alone as she has more swelling to do imho. I can post pictures tomorrow if you would like

It’s just she doesn’t look ready other than trichomes. Still hairs sticking out white everywhere still. She hasn’t really filled out yet but is getting there. Two of her colas fell over with weight. Still attached not a problem. Her sisters were just harvested but she has another week or so to go. Otherwise I would be giving up a lot of her weight if I harvested based on trichomes alone as she has more swelling to do imho. I can post pictures tomorrow if you would like

Sorry, I didn't mean to sounds like I was arguing with you, just trying to understand.

If the trichs are ready, then I would think it was done. If you let it go longer, the other things that you said (darkening pistils, filling out more, etc.) might indeed happen. But if the trichs are ready now, then they will continue to ripen/degrade. As I understand it, as the trichs move from clear to cloudy to amber, the effect becomes more and more sedative/sleepy. If that is the effect you are going for, then great!

Personally, I harvest when the trichs look like what I am going for, regardless of what the pistils say. :)

I want to say you are right on the week left from what mine did. I unfortunately didn’t have a microscope when they started turning it wasn’t until amber was starting when I got my digital one in mail but another week should do. You will know for sure when you check then. What is your plan for harvest? Are you flushing or not? Doing a dark period before harvest?

I’m planning on these two going down this weekend. (Yesterday pic)
14C36CE2-6291-419C-933F-3445DCC29772.jpeg

3E0532F4-04CD-4BD3-9EB7-17017A01C3D0.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom