Recommendations for Coco soil

rjgrowbig

420 Member
Hi my beautiful 420 geniuses!
We’ve ditched our Hydro… 2nd round, both rounds had root rot :(
We are sticking with soil only now, and would like to try coco.

My question is what brand is best, I don’t plan on mixing it with soil - I’d like to use it straight and see how we go. But if that’s not advised, I’ll gladly take recommendations :)

Wondering what the best brand is and other suggestions for a great grow!

Thanks in advance :Namaste::love:

Sorry My friend I am an organic soil grower but I do use coir in my worm bin and I think what you want to look out for in Quality is good ph balanced salt free coir I'm sure you'll get a response from someone else here with alot of knowledge on this subject and the folks like to help so .....✌️ Ron from Michigan

Hello @rjgrowbig - I use Canna Coco Pro+
I've tried other brands and the compressed brick coco, and none of it is anywhere near as good

Whatever coco is available in your area make sure it is washed and buffered, and not wet or compacted
Most of my grows are completed with coco, Canna A/B, CaMg and PK 13/14 and that's it

Hey @rjgrowbig,

I'm an outdoor greenhouse grower, and I use a custom-made soil mix containing coco coir (there's a link in my signature). If you want to grow in coir only, you may want to also add some perlite, and worm castings. I have been getting my coir blocks locally, from someone who imports them, but I also found "Hydro Crunch" coir blocks online – looks like a quality product, and not too expensive. It's flushed and pre-buffered with Cal-Mag.

Hi my beautiful 420 geniuses!
We’ve ditched our Hydro… 2nd round, both rounds had root rot :(
We are sticking with soil only now, and would like to try coco.

My question is what brand is best, I don’t plan on mixing it with soil - I’d like to use it straight and see how we go. But if that’s not advised, I’ll gladly take recommendations :)

Wondering what the best brand is and other suggestions for a great grow!

Thanks in advance :Namaste::love:

It's important to understand that coco isn't soil. It's specifically known as soil-less media. The growing method for coco is different than soil. Most people water daily or even multiple times a day. If you really want to grow in coco, there is a website that has very good information exclusively for coco. However, I don't recommend using coco.

Peat and perlite produces the same results or better and you only have to water 15x a month. It's also not soil. It's soil-less media. It's cheaper than coco. The only disadvantage I see is it's buggier than coco. So I bomb it with peroxide in the beginning. This kills the insects and nasty microbes.

Local hydro shop.
And buy anything 60/30 60/40 should do the trick.
Canna comes plan 100% coco i think so your need to add something.
It is great coco but i feel over priced.

Gold label
ecohive
@Plagron (just tried last grow seems fine nice stuff to work with)
biobizz

Also to save the planet peat is being fazed out of cause it will take years and prob not be fazed out everywhere.
But its getting harder to find local.

Peat and perlite produces the same results or better and you only have to water 15x a month. It's also not soil. It's soil-less media. It's cheaper than coco. The only disadvantage I see is it's buggier than coco. So I bomb it with peroxide in the beginning. This kills the insects and nasty microbes.
I happen to love coco coir, and it's characteristics are much different than peat moss. I add it to my custom organic living soil mix. Another drawback of peat moss is that it's acidic and must be adjusted.

This is coco with a handful of perlite, watered from the bottom and wicked up by the coco

coco-roots-jpg.2586532

What's the percentage of perlite that you are using?
Canna's Coco comes without perlite, correct?
Hi KB - that is a 3L pot with maybe a cup of perlite - just in a handful to pad out the coco really
I would guess that's about 1:10 or 10% - too much and the pot dries more quickly
Think there are variants with a bit of perlite or clay pebbles in the mix but I'm generally happy with straight coco

Hi KB - that is a 3L pot with maybe a cup of perlite - just in a handful to pad out the coco really
I would guess that's about 1:10 or 10% - too much and the pot dries more quickly
Think there are variants with a bit of perlite or clay pebbles in the mix but I'm generally happy with straight coco

I'd love to see your results.

Back
Top Bottom