Register now for the Capn's cook off contest

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheCapn

Prepare now to grow a big one, Capn Style.

I have had several people interested in my "simple hydroponics" thread. It is a easy and inexpensive way to grow a SINGLE monster plant, of which should turn out to be a ONE pounder. I have decided to put together a group grow, where we take cones at the same time, grow using the same method, and go to flower at the same time.

The winner is not based only on final weight, but will be a "best of show" type vote, and any member can vote. In the mean time, the prize will be "bragging rights" for the "Winner of Capn's cook off".

We will be using this thread to list rules for the contest, equipment list, dates, and keep track of entrants. For those of you who want to participate, please reply below, with a picture of your labeled plant, and we will get you registered.

RULES:
1. You can start from seed or clone, any strain is ok. Cut your clone, or plant your seed between June 15th and July 15th. That gives everyone a one month window. If you already have a seedling or clone rooted in the last two weeks, you can use it.

2. We will grow the plant in 18/6 (vegetative growth) until September 15th, and then we will go to flower, at 12/12 light cycle. Voting date will be November 15th.

3. Lighting. Max of 1000W, on your single plant. I have done the grow with 400W with amazing results. This time, I will be using a 600W Apollo brand ($19) HPS bulb.

4. Nutrients: Anything goes.

5. SCROG, super cropping, topping, anything goes.

6. Grow Method (top feed, rock wool): You will use up to a 10 gallon container, full of rockwool grow-cubes (aka croutons). The growing container can be any container you choose, and it must be top fed (no flood and drain, no DWC). You can top feed to waste and / or top feed recycle, via a submersible water pump in a reservoir. You can top feed no more than 8 times a day.

7. Will you start a grow journal here on 420mag, and update it at least every 10 days.

8. The Capn reserves the right to change or add to the rules above, so don't get crafty ;-)

The purpose of this contest, is to show beginners and advanced growers alike, how we can grow a monster plant, with a very inexpensive, simple to set up, and simple to maintain system. I thought about having all of us use the exact same set up, but most of us probably have similar equipment sitting around already, so there is no reason to buy new. For new-bees, you should be able to get this up for $50. It requires a couple containers, water pump to recirculate water, and an air pump for the reservoir. Below are two examples of different setups you can use, but you are welcome to get creative, as long as you stay within the 10 gallon limit.

setupA.jpg

systemB.jpg

I'm using a superoots air pot here, but you can use a simple 5 gallon bucket, by drilling holes. I know JLT likes drilling holes.

bucket6.jpg

Your top feed method can be anything you like, just remember we are limited to no more than 8 cycles per day. You can do this with a DIY PVC drip ring like this.

systemC3.jpg

Some 1/2" hose and a inexpensive water pump:
pump6.jpg

Grow medium: The most expensive part. A 1cuft bag should cost around $25 USD.
growcubes.jpg

Beginner growers are encouraged to participate. A 1lb plant might seem out of reach, but I have practically given a "step by step" how to, in the Simple Hydroponics article, showing exactly how to do this. In addition, myself, JLT, sling, and others will be here to help.

The Capn will be growing one along side of you all, but I'm disqualified from winning. So post the picture of your clone or seedling LABELED with your username in this thread, BEFORE July 15th! Then, start a grow journal called, "Capn's Cook Off - <username>". I will start and you can follow by example.

I'd be interested in playing, but the timing isn't gonna work for me. I can't get a setup ready by the entry deadline.

I'll be watching along though. :)

Hiker, cut a clone and throw it in some rockwool. Come on, mang! Certainly understandable though if you're limited by space and light.

So far, it's me, s1ling, and JLT. Sling are you busy cutting clones today?

Hiker, cut a clone and throw it in some rockwool. Come on, mang! Certainly understandable though if you're limited by space and light.

No Sir, I am on my way to town and will be picking up the grow cubes. Cuts will be in another day or two. Will take a pic and post it asap. Got a lil behind schedule with the 40 man hours it took us to trim. 20 hours x's two men

:confused::bitingnails: ummmm soo Cap idk if im going to make it either, i have been just geting caught up on bills and i dont know if i have time/space to put into this X o i will do this set up but i have to get my main grow started back up and set before i venture on to something like that lol

Sorry Capn

You saw my flowering room. I can't squeeze another plant in there. They won't finish until late August, so I'll have to try out croutons later.

Don't worry Cap'n I am only another day or two from taking cuts and I am not sure what cut to use for the entry. Prob. the OG Kush I have been working with this year, would love to see how obese she can get lol:)
I am still figuring out where I will put here, probably in room b. I will get some 8x6 inch hvac adapters and hang the 400 watt hid I should be using to the same fan thats cooling the 1000. Would love to use a thousand watt just for the one entry plant but am not sure yet what I will use??
Approx. ten days after I take cuts I will have my entry, do you think there will still be enough veg time? I do.
Happy 4th CAP

Hey s1ing, you will have plenty of time before you even need to set up for it. For now, after your clone is rooted, you can just sit it in an ordinary 1 gallon nursery pot full of grow cubes, water it generously every other day, and mingle it under light with your other dirt plants. When you transfer from cloner to cubes, remember to first soak your cubes in a very low nutrient solution with a PH of around 5.8. You shouldn't notice any transfer shock. If you mingle it in with the dirt plants, it will be cool to compare the growth rates.

After it is in flower, a 400watter centered over it is enough. A 1000w would be cool but is overkill. That said, if you want to use the 1000w you could always do two of them, side by side, from the same res, maybe in a 6' x 5' area.

1g per watt is easier to achieve with the 400.

man I love that cloner. I don't understand why so many other companies sell cloners with no humidome. In my opinion, it is necessary. They look happy in there. Nice clean set up, and I like your labels.

What is your recipe for the water ? And how often do you run the sprayers?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom