Removing larf buds on outdoor plants?

jokerlola

My current plants are all being grown outdoors in 5 gallon and smaller pots (some fabric, some plastic) in the Denver Colorado area. Does it make a big difference to the main colas to remove the larf buds further down the stems? If so, how far down from the main colas should I remove the larf buds? I don't really lollipop my plants since they are outdoor grown. Should I be?

My current plants are all being grown outdoors in 5 gallon and smaller pots (some fabric, some plastic) in the Denver Colorado area. Does it make a big difference to the main colas to remove the larf buds further down the stems? If so, how far down from the main colas should I remove the larf buds? I don't really lollipop my plants since they are outdoor grown. Should I be?
Hi @Jokerola - I would, the stuff under the canopy is usually pretty feeble

I would say I'm about at week 3 or 4 of flower with my outdoor plants. I wasn't the best at keeping the lower 3rd free of growth and now I have several buds that will just wind up being popcorn buds down there. Is removing them now too late to add any weight to the main colas or would it still be beneficial to the main top colas to remove them?

In other words, would removing them now make any difference to the top cola yield?

Heya jokerlola,

My research (limited) has turned up, some do some do not. All agree tho it does stress the plant when you do cut the popcorn flowers, and of course trim the canopy.

Personally, I trim those popcorn flowers and the lower leaves only twice in flowering, and the last trim I always make sure is at least three to four weeks before harvest. You can tell my girls are stress from this trimming for a couple days or so, but they come right back full force. Just keep in mind on the leaves, your girls will not grow new leaves once flowering has set in fully (like yours are now).

Now, on the flip side, and deciding to keep them. I've done this myself a couple times just to see how it effects yield. So come harvest, I have a ton more trim that I use for making oil and butter (WOOT).

Hope this helps =)

Depends on the plant ;)

Last grow was no meaningful trimming, my Gelato auto grew substantial buds all the way down but my King Gelato auto was a PITA to trim, sigh...

This grow I have taken everything off the bottom third And any branches that won't make it up high enough to produce.

Never noticed any stress by doing this slowly over a period of a month or so...

Bonus is a little bit of trimming up to the first week of flowering makes it a lot easier to trim at the end !

And larger product, not necessarily More but that's not my goal.

Cheers

I find most powdery mildew starts on lower leaves and bottom buds removing them makes prevention and management easier.

I grow in 5 gallon pots outside every year in summer till fall time. I find it's very beneficial to do some lollipoping and remove tiny insignificant bud sites. It Helps for airflow and also sends more energy to the bigger bud sites ubove. The extra airflow also helps in reducing powdery mildew and bud rot. Also spraying once a week on outdoor plants with a 4 oz apple cider vinegar to 1 Gallon of water. Will lower the leaf PH level and Inhibit fungal or mold growth on the leaves and bud sites growth during flowering phase as well as Vegative phase..

I will give another point of view...I don't on outdoor because 1, I don't have to really worry about PM or any molds due to the climate I live in...It's just not a thing here...and 2, I'm going to buck the whole thing and throw it into a frezzer for 24 hours before washing it in ice water so I could care less about the dense pretty buds.

I will give another point of view...I don't on outdoor because 1, I don't have to really worry about PM or any molds due to the climate I live in...It's just not a thing here...and 2, I'm going to buck the whole thing and throw it into a frezzer for 24 hours before washing it in ice water so I could care less about the dense pretty buds.
Everyone has Their Own personal preferences. Right? :rollit:

I recently started doing the fresh frozen material ice wash and I freeze it grind it and dry it. Amazing if you dab I don’t so I sprinkle some on as Im building a joint and it’s amazing flavours come through especially when matching the bubble to the flower mix.
@CelestrialNurseries you made a great case for leaving them on.
No pm I could only dream of a land such as this.
Happy 420!!

Hi @Jokerola - I would, the stuff under the canopy is usually pretty feeble
I guess my question is: Is it too late to do it at this stage and would I just be removing usable bud that won't necessarily cause the upper colas to grow bigger? Or will removing these already forming buds definitely cause beneficial growth to the upper colas?

I guess my question is: Is it too late to do it at this stage and would I just be removing usable bud that won't necessarily cause the upper colas to grow bigger? Or will removing these already forming buds definitely cause beneficial growth to the upper colas?
depends on how far along you're in, what week has it been since it started flowering? and removing them at any point could cause improvement as they have more energy to focus on the upper parts rather than worrying about the lowers, it's just at some point the stress it could cause during peak bud development could be detrimental to yield which is why it's always good to do it early, week 3-4 of flower is probably the latest I'd personally do it

I think it could be argued that it would have a positive impact from a theoretical perspective but I can't imagine anyone paying to do the research on it to measure the outcome.

My thinking is based the fact colas don't photosynthesize so they are a net photosynthetic loss to the plant. Also, unlike leaves that are below the light saturation point and, therefore, are a net photosynthetic loss, buds do not play a role in acting as stores of chemicals that can be shunted to the parts of the plant.

I remove them because they're a pain in the neck to deal with and, since so far, I've only used the flower part of the inflorescence, I don't have a reason to keep them.

The net net - off with their heads! :)

depends on how far along you're in, what week has it been since it started flowering? and removing them at any point could cause improvement as they have more energy to focus on the upper parts rather than worrying about the lowers, it's just at some point the stress it could cause during peak bud development could be detrimental to yield which is why it's always good to do it early, week 3-4 of flower is probably the latest I'd personally do it
I would say I'm in week 4 of flower with the plants in question. I have another plant that is just now starting to flower but I have lollipopped and pruned it. So I'm probably too late on my others. I only vape so the popcorn buds are all usable to me, just a pain to trim.

I would say I'm in week 4 of flower with the plants in question. I have another plant that is just now starting to flower but I have lollipopped and pruned it. So I'm probably too late on my others. I only vape so the popcorn buds are all usable to me, just a pain to trim.
right on honestly I don't trim the popcorns at all, I think sugar leaves are pretty Vaild along side the bud so it's definitely all useable for sure especially if you vape, no need to fret over the little things, pun intended

colas don't photosynthesize so they are a net photosynthetic loss to the plant.
What I keep coming across when reading up about photosynthesis is that any part of the plant that is green is using light and nitrogen and more as part of the photosynthesis process. It would follow that even the buds with their single blade leaves and the sugar leaves are capable of providing the sugars that the plant needs to finish ripening. I would not be surprised if even the younger thin stems which have a green color also have a small of amount of photosynthesis happening there.

There is no need to dry it..that's the beauty of the thing..from harvest to medicated in 48 hours!!

Bubble hash has to be dried Im not using dry ice. Once the frozen bud in ice water is washed the trichomes or bubble hash yield is wet. I find the easiest way for me to use it is to freeze it then powder it with a zester and dry it on parchment paper makes a dry powder like consistency instead of traditional pressed hash type consistency. Its personal preference.

Bubble hash has to be dried Im not using dry ice. Once the frozen bud in ice water is washed the trichomes or bubble hash yield is wet. I find the easiest way for me to use it is to freeze it then powder it with a zester and dry it on parchment paper makes a dry powder like consistency instead of traditional pressed hash type consistency. Its personal preference.
I'm such a baby I forgot not everyone has access to a freeze dryer...my apologies 😛

Back
Top Bottom