Root damage during transplant

Armingrow

420 Member
Ok so I have this plant that was planted in coco coir in a 7l fabric potpla (plant is in veg). I noticed alot of roots going outside the pot and thought it needed a transplant. I cut one side of the pot and ''peeled'' the fabric pot of the soil and noticed that quite alot of roots were ripped off. Not too much tho but alot. Im worried this may have chocked the plant and that it will die.
Does anyone know if this is the end of the plant or if there are some things I can do to ''heal'' my plant or prevent it from dying

Ordinarily, when someone mentions having "removed" a portion of the root mass, I'd be strongly recommending they compensate / balance the plant, by removing a like percentage of the above ground portion. However, in your caase... it's not like the roots that were hanging around in the open air were contributing anything, lol.

So the plant appears to be dead? Is it already crunchy?

Ordinarily, when someone mentions having "removed" a portion of the root mass, I'd be strongly recommending they compensate / balance the plant, by removing a like percentage of the above ground portion. However, in your caase... it's not like the roots that were hanging around in the open air were contributing anything, lol.

So the plant appears to be dead? Is it already crunchy?
No the plant seems fine, but i did it not to long ago. How do you mean removing percentage of above portion?

No the plant seems fine, but i did it not to long ago. How do you mean removing percentage of above portion?
If for example someone was keeping a mother plant and wanted to keep it small, when it becomes root bound in a pot you can take it out of the pot and cut an inch or so of root mass and soil from the bottom and around the sides, then return the plant to a smaller pot or fresh soil.
As long as you don't mess with the main root from a seedling, the root mass is as versatile as the branches above. You can cut/trim a side root and it will grow more,sometimes two like topping node branches.
Some people when up potting a plant will score through the sides and bottom of the roots with a blade to open the root mass. I don't, some do.

That's not going to hurt anything at all unless you ripped out a whole lot of roots. Call it root pruning. It actually helps the plant grow more vigorous. I've had many plants grow roots out the sides of the grow bags. No big deal at all. They are self pruning & it's showing good growth when that happens.

Back
Top Bottom