Runoff or no runoff debate in coco

Grower2020

20210826_191326.jpg

So after speaking with the actual canna coco scientists I have managed to have sooooo much false information debunked, false information that is constantly circulating in the forums, mainly about runoff and also this watering every single day lie lol

Hey Grower2020,

I’m a soil grower who works the faq pages. I strive to be accurate but I’ve told new coco growers looking for help to feed quarter strength nutes every day once the plant matures beyond the seedling stage. I’ve also instructed them to feed until runoff.

In my defense - I didn’t just cook up this formula myself but rather I‘ve studied under amazingly great growers and countless others. If I have offered the wrong advice then I’m terribly sorry and will work to learn new methods.

Please give us the 411 and share what you have learned……

I’ve got to scramble for now - but will catch up later

Always been a firm believer of feed them when they need it vs everyday or twice aday.I can honstly say 50% of my
grow my ladies get feed once a day to every few days .I think the confusion comes with people saying feed twice or once a day not really stating IF there drying out the coco if its still moist it dont need feeding.Also i feel it has a lot to do with
pot size and how much your roots have filled that pot out.I always feed full strength recommended by supplier right
from the start nutes.But im also interested in what you have come up with.

Every grow environment is slightly different so nobody can give concrete advice, only reasoning based on experience
The bottom line is, if you can't recognize a plant's watering and feeding needs you're always gonna have a hard time
I grow in small pots and if I didn't water thoroughly every day, my plants would be dead
With respect, my friend, I don't think anyone is here to tell lies

Sorry guys I dropped the ball on an earlier post - totally my bad but let’s here from Grower2020 so we (meaning me -013] can learn what the coco scientist had to offer.
WTF is a 'coco scientist'? Load of bollocks if you ask me
Have they experience of using the stuff for the last 20 years? I doubt it

Hey guys, sorry for the long time reply.. single father duties and shopping day lol
First of all just wanted to say 013 that this post definitely was not directed at you brother. I'm grateful for all the help that I have had from you, skunksa,growings, Emilya. Bill etc Just been reading a lot of other people's journals and the advice they are given by a lot of others and I just thought I'd ask the canna team for their direct advice so I could bury a few myths for my own sake. I probably named the article a bit harshly but it was more so to attract attention. I Can almost always count on 013,skunksa,growings,Emilya for their genuine input and I you guys deserve the utmost respect for your relentless loyalty to the 420 magazine club.
Mainly my biggest concern was and always has been since I decided to have a go at coco growing is as follows.
In the beginning as you all saw I started autos off in 23L pots of straight coco for my very first attempt at it, being a new method of growing I knew that it surely would not run smoothly ...and i was right lol.
The thing that confused me the most was the whole nute build up problem and reading through the info that is around the place on multiple 420 websites not Just this one, and the general consensus is watering to runoff no matter what to avoid nutrient burn n salt buildup .
So in the beginning of my first coco Grow, roughly the first 12 days... was going good only feeding 1/4 strength nutes in small amounts to roughly where I thought the roots might be stretching to +10% of my estimation to allow the roots to grow outwards into wet medium. The amount was only small and I was doing multiple feeds a day at this very small volume.
They really powered hard and I was amazed at the speed that the seedlings reached vegetation stage. But I was caught in two minds and it was this.....how can I keep feeding these small amounts without getting any run off and knowing the roots wouldn't be filling the pots out until say day 30 atleast. So even though I had not seen any toxicity I had a panic attack(not really but I did panic lol) and decided I needed to do something about the nutes that would be building up from all my small feedings over the previous 12 days so I soaked the 23L pots with 1/4 strength feed and it just wouldn't dry out and lead to drooping and deficiency because of the lack of air in the straight coco mix.
So I basically gave up on them because it lost about 8 days after that trying to dry them out etc, complete disaster ‍♂️ but I did expect a disaster and I got it lol.
So I thought I would try to rectify it with another attempt and starting them off in 1gal pots to be able to get runoff from seedlings hoping it would dry out faster and also use 50% perlite.
Same thing....stressing about nute build up and making sure feeding to runoff. Young seedlings without root balls and I could not get the medium to dry out lol. So I decided to contact canna for their advice about my concerns with nute build up and not feeding to runoff, as I could see not feeding to runoff being the only way to not overwater them.
They replied and basically said the only reason you would want to feed to runoff with seedlings is to guarantee the whole medium is wet , and not to flush "salts out" they also said that its perfectly ok to either feed small 1/4 strength doses regularly to avoid overwatering when young until root balls form nicely and that basically you can get through the first 30 days without having to worry about nute build up with small regular feedings.
Then by the time you hit 30 days the root balls are big enough to feed to runoff and your plants will drink it fast enough to not be overwatered.
They also said if the medium is still wet and it takes 3 or 4 days to dry out then it is necessary to let the medium reach 50% dry to increase root growth.
I ended up looking on other 420 forums around the place and found a guy who said after about 30 days that he had not had runoff once during the whole first 30days and his autoflower ended up being about twice the size of its estimated maximum height by the breeder.
So I'm eager to try this method next time around and as a little test I'm going to take one of my autos that I'm currently feeding to runoff in 1gals and cease to feed to runoff for as long as I can before I start to have either toxicity or lockout so i can gauge to myself what is the maximum size final pot I can start small babies in and be able to get to runoff without having the problems before the roots can handle their first runoff.
Hoping to sort this out once and for all and do a very clear and informative journal from start to finish ironing out all these problems that new growers in coco find themselves having.
Hope you guys enjoy the read

Always been a firm believer of feed them when they need it vs everyday or twice aday.I can honstly say 50% of my
grow my ladies get feed once a day to every few days .I think the confusion comes with people saying feed twice or once a day not really stating IF there drying out the coco if its still moist it dont need feeding.Also i feel it has a lot to do with
pot size and how much your roots have filled that pot out.I always feed full strength recommended by supplier right
from the start nutes.But im also interested in what you have come up with.
Your absolutely right and is in line with what the guy from canna said

Hey guys, sorry for the long time reply.. single father duties and shopping day lol
First of all just wanted to say 013 that this post definitely was not directed at you brother. I'm grateful for all the help that I have had from you, skunksa,growings, Emilya. Bill etc Just been reading a lot of other people's journals and the advice they are given by a lot of others and I just thought I'd ask the canna team for their direct advice so I could bury a few myths for my own sake. I probably named the article a bit harshly but it was more so to attract attention. I Can almost always count on 013,skunksa,growings,Emilya for their genuine input and I you guys deserve the utmost respect for your relentless loyalty to the 420 magazine club.
Mainly my biggest concern was and always has been since I decided to have a go at coco growing is as follows.
In the beginning as you all saw I started autos off in 23L pots of straight coco for my very first attempt at it, being a new method of growing I knew that it surely would not run smoothly ...and i was right lol.
The thing that confused me the most was the whole nute build up problem and reading through the info that is around the place on multiple 420 websites not Just this one, and the general consensus is watering to runoff no matter what to avoid nutrient burn n salt buildup .
So in the beginning of my first coco Grow, roughly the first 12 days... was going good only feeding 1/4 strength nutes in small amounts to roughly where I thought the roots might be stretching to +10% of my estimation to allow the roots to grow outwards into wet medium. The amount was only small and I was doing multiple feeds a day at this very small volume.
They really powered hard and I was amazed at the speed that the seedlings reached vegetation stage. But I was caught in two minds and it was this.....how can I keep feeding these small amounts without getting any run off and knowing the roots wouldn't be filling the pots out until say day 30 atleast. So even though I had not seen any toxicity I had a panic attack(not really but I did panic lol) and decided I needed to do something about the nutes that would be building up from all my small feedings over the previous 12 days so I soaked the 23L pots with 1/4 strength feed and it just wouldn't dry out and lead to drooping and deficiency because of the lack of air in the straight coco mix.
So I basically gave up on them because it lost about 8 days after that trying to dry them out etc, complete disaster ‍♂️ but I did expect a disaster and I got it lol.
So I thought I would try to rectify it with another attempt and starting them off in 1gal pots to be able to get runoff from seedlings hoping it would dry out faster and also use 50% perlite.
Same thing....stressing about nute build up and making sure feeding to runoff. Young seedlings without root balls and I could not get the medium to dry out lol. So I decided to contact canna for their advice about my concerns with nute build up and not feeding to runoff, as I could see not feeding to runoff being the only way to not overwater them.
They replied and basically said the only reason you would want to feed to runoff with seedlings is to guarantee the whole medium is wet , and not to flush "salts out" they also said that its perfectly ok to either feed small 1/4 strength doses regularly to avoid overwatering when young until root balls form nicely and that basically you can get through the first 30 days without having to worry about nute build up with small regular feedings.
Then by the time you hit 30 days the root balls are big enough to feed to runoff and your plants will drink it fast enough to not be overwatered.
They also said if the medium is still wet and it takes 3 or 4 days to dry out then it isn't necessary to let the medium reach 50% dry to increase root growth.
I ended up looking on other 420 forums around the place and found a guy who said after about 30 days that he had not had runoff once during the whole first 30days and his autoflower ended up being about twice the size of its estimated maximum height by the breeder.
So I'm eager to try this method next time around and as a little test I'm going to take one of my autos that I'm currently feeding to runoff in 1gals and cease to feed to runoff for as long as I can before I start to have either toxicity or lockout so i can gauge to myself what is the maximum size final pot I can start small babies in and be able to get to runoff without having the problems before the roots can handle their first runoff.
Hoping to sort this out once and for all and do a very clear and informative journal from start to finish ironing out all these problems that new growers in coco find themselves having.
Hope you guys enjoy the read
Fair comment, respect

Fair comment, respect
All good man just trying to get my head around this new to me method of growing. I repotted two plants from the 1gals into the 5gal pots today so hopefully have a successful uppotting. I'm also going to buy a set of good scales that can weigh heavy weights of up to say 50kg but also all the way down to about 1kg accurately so I can start to get a grasp on how fast and how regular the feedings need to be to reach the 50% dry target that is apparently optimal.

Dude let me offer my sincere apologies- I will absolutely take heat because I know I’ve typed stuff about feeding each time to run off in coco without giving enough context

Absolutely the rules change as we move from seedling to veg to sexually mature plant then on to flower.

cool, cool, cool - man I hate the problems but I’m glad you are moving beyond it. Thanks for the correction man - jump in any time,

Dude let me offer my sincere apologies- I will absolutely take heat because I know I’ve typed stuff about feeding each time to run off in coco without giving enough context

Absolutely the rules change as we move from seedling to veg to sexually mature plant then on to flower.

cool, cool, cool - man I hate the problems but I’m glad you are moving beyond it. Thanks for the correction man - jump in any time,
Bro please don't beat yourself down I honestly didn't have you on my mind when I posted this thread. Have nothing but respect for you man your intentions are good and your knowledge is pretty up there also. And your always one of the first to come to reassure me my plants could look a lot worse than they do at times, so please don't take heat for what I'm not directing at you brother your not in that category of completely false information. We all good bro I promise.
Everyone that commented on this post are honestly my fave peeps at 420 mag.

Hey. no worries man! At times I’m guilty of dumping general advice when I should be way more specific. The main thing is your garden is returning to green hopefully. I’m bookmarking this one for future reference.
Just with the situation of me not actually confirming this method myself I wouldn't refer to this method for the time being until I can vouch for it, even though I am confident the guy from canna would be pretty spot on I don't want to say " this is fool proof " until I actually trial it and succeed with it myself and can 100% stand by it.

I always feed full strength recommended by supplier right
from the start nutes.

some nutes run real hot. that's where the 1/2 1/4 nute strength thing comes from. it really depends on the line.
if you've fed by ppm/ec and switched up nute lines in the middle of a run you would see what i mean.

i ran by ppm/ ec with GH and AN and couldn't have run a full sched in either unless i wanted crispy plants.

i use MC now and the full sched is bang on and also hits the same ppm/ec targets i was getting with a half strength AN sched.

Every room is dif and most of time pots how long we have them in veg what coco we use how old is it what we mix with.
What nutes we use how old are they the list goes on.What ever works for you , and gets the results you want your doing it right you dont time to tweak the information given is a guild due to the above problems/issues. Anyone willing to put them self out there to help gets a big :thumb: from me.Glad everything is on the up your get to love coco does speed things up some.

Kinda bet me to it but never had an issue in coco going with reco. 90%of them its 1ml to L any how pretty weak if u ask me in the bands i have used canna/shogun but cant say i have used that many on the market tbh.Now later in my grow i dont keep using reco stength as i find that to hot. ;)
some nutes run real hot. that's where the 1/2 1/4 nute strength thing comes from. it really depends on the line.
if you've fed by ppm/ec and switched up nute lines in the middle of a run you would see what i mean.

i ran by ppm/ ec with GH and AN and couldn't have run a full sched in either unless i wanted crispy plants.

i use MC now and the full sched is bang on and also hits the same ppm/ec targets i was getting with a half strength AN sched.

Awesome comments lads and yes the Information I provided above from canna is canna specific information only, other nutrients may be less or more during the first 30 days when not watering to runoff and starting in final pots. A quick way to tell is to just mix up 1L at recommended dose for that L and see how hot the mix is and dilute your ppm accordingly to stay within the ppm required for each stage of growth.

Have a few things going on in my tent at the moment, all zkittlez auto except for 4 plants which are in the top right hand corner and are clones of sugar black rose which I took from my sick mother plant that had been eaten by root aphids when it was living outside. Managed to keep the strain by way of cloning so I am happy I have the strain without having to order more seeds and I'm going to keep them root bound in with the autos in the corner of the tent under 20hrs to keep them in veg then take fresh clones for a photo grow after these autos are done . So all up there is 17 germimated and in seedling stage living in slow release potting soil that I had to flush right away because i sampled the first runoff after germination and I recall the pallets of potting mix being in the sun at the store and I took the bags from the top and I am thinking the humidity nside the bags has broken down too much of the fertilizer and has made it hot. Flushed it with 5 times each of the pots size with plain rain water and each pot is now at around 600ppm runoff , down from 1800-2200ppm . I knew right away that there was a lockout happening and only hrs later they were standing back up again praying. Then there is 4 in coco in 1gal pots that will live out there life in them pots with no runoff to see how long it takes to have toxicity/lockout occur to see how many days it's possible to feed without having runoff. Then I have two that I transplanted into the 6gal fab pots to see how big I can get them to continue their growth and into flower for the first time without any overwatering issues or any issues at all for that matter.
I'll keep reporting here as I go and keep you all updated

20210828_154308.jpg

Back
Top Bottom