Salad anyone? How many fan leaves can you pull off safely?

HappyDays

Genuinely how many fan leaves can you pull off (big leaves) without harming the girl ? I've heard different opinions I would love some insight

IMG_20220718_095204611.jpg

IMG_20220718_095158595.jpg

IMG_20220718_091324578.jpg

IMG_20220718_091226661.jpg

I try to keep the actual fan leaves as long as I can, I never remove them until/unless they've become too damaged to work any longer.
But I do pull small leaves from the bottom of my plants in veg. regularly because I have two cats addicted to chomping them, they get 3-5 leaves each either daily, or every other day. (They only eat the tip half of the leaves) I haven't yet seen a noticeable negative response from the plants for doing this.

Small or otherwise weak plants may have a different opinion of said activity.

Genuinely how many fan leaves can you pull off (big leaves) without harming the girl ? I've heard different opinions I would love some insight
The question would be: Why are you removing fan leaves? If they are damaged, diseased, blocking bud sites, or something similar then it's OK, to a point. I prefer to tuck, not pluck, leaves whenever possible. The fan leaves are the power generators for the plant. IMHO, when you remove leaves you take part of the energy producing part of the plant along with all the nutrients and minerals in the leaf, which are now longer available to the plant. The plant then has to gather more resources to replace the leaf. Of course in nature the leaves are damaged, eaten by pests and otherwise degraded, so it won't kill the plant, but I'm not sure if any real research has been done to determine how many leaves you can take off before the plant suffers.

You could take off more without killing the plant.

Container instead of in-ground, heavy (mud?) soil, and evidence of bugs at that site... I don't think your raping of its leaves is the limiting factor, lol.

The question would be: Why are you removing fan leaves?
My same question. I typically don't remove any leaves until the plant starts into flower, except for ones that have signs of mold or insects, or have gone yellow. At the beginning of flower, I have a pruning method that I follow.

IMG_20220718_095204611.jpg

IMG_20220718_095158595.jpg

IMG_20220718_091324578.jpg

IMG_20220718_091226661.jpg
She is an outdoor girl, I don't understand why you would strip her naked.🥶
I don't defol outside girls they need fans for growth.
Now she will grow more fans instead of bud sites.
When she recovers from the shock of being attacked by a deer or something she thinks.
Defeating the purpose further slowing growth.
IMHO
:Namaste::Namaste::Namaste::Namaste::Namaste::Namaste::Namaste::Namaste::Namaste::Namaste::Namaste::Namaste::Namaste:

Stay safe
Bill284 :cool:

I really like your photos in this thread and the other threads you have started. They are in focus, good lighting control and at a decent distance that we can still still what is going on. It gives us an idea of what is going on.

We can pull off as many as we want when it is our plant. Only thing is that photosynthesis takes place in the leaves and the plant will grow as many as it can starting from 'Day One'. This is an attempt to match the production from the photosynthesis with the size of the above and below ground parts. Plus, the plant will store all excess sugar production for the days of low light and then later once flowering starts and it needs twice as much as it does now.

As has been mentioned the plant will start to replace them with new leaves as long as it did not loose the growing tips from too many of the nodes along the stems. This replacement should start to be noticeable within a week to 10 days. How soon it will have grown as many and as large as before is unknown at this point.

Just about everyone growing outdoors in the North American continent who is north of the 35th Latitude or Parallel line will start to notice early flowering starting by the middle of August, or about 3 weeks from now. And, as flowering begins the plant slows down on new fan leaf production and starts to focus on flower growth and those 'sugar leaves' which will provide photosynthesis but not in the levels that the fan leaves do.

Good news is that with some decent weather and a decent watering and fertilizing schedule everything will be OK.

Have to agree with whats been said.
Out door MYSELF would not dream of taking to many.
Unless she has a few weeks of veg to help replace some.
And im a plant abuser tbh as im in doors.
But each to there own what works for me might not for you.
;)

Back
Top Bottom