Same Hydro Different Strains - So Different

209hpi1.png

Forgot the 4 inch intake fan....bottom right. still gives you folk the idea.

On another note the room is 8 feet high and 3 feet squared foot space.

This was not meant to be a journal but with the reading I have done and the help already on this forum, I feel confidant I could make this a journal.

I have a few questions left regarding soil vs hydro but if admin could place this in the journal area I would be more than happy to complete.

If it is moved I will do a detailed write up of all steps, failings and fortunes.

I sent the admins a message letting them know you want this moved to the journals section. If you need this done in the future, you can click the small triangle on the bottom left with the exclamation point inside of it !, under your post, and send them a quick message requesting the post to be moved.

I run hydro and that's why I keep my buckets separate once they go into there 5 gallon homes in case i need to pull one flush it, etc, etc , And I'm running 3 different strains right now and they are 3 weeks difference between then. Always remember start smaller when your new learn then go bigger I use to only grow 2 plants till I got use to them now I'm on 4 in flower 5 in veg and slowly expand it takes time to figure what each plant wants. High temps in hydro I recommend peroxide to help never used tea but I heard that good too.

Are you using any beneficiaries like cannazyme or aquashield they prevent root rot and keep your roots very healthy, plus help make your plants more resistant to higher temps.

Well I will do a quick recap and then a few pictures after I take them tonight.

I am just going to jump right to the start of the grow room build, before that is back story no one needs to know.

My grow room is 3 foot squared and 8 feet in height, it had no ventilation but is ideally positioned in my house to receive any and all necessary work.

I started by deciding hydro or soil, my decision was based off a friends earlier hydro grow and me being completely new to this so a 4 pot wilma was first.

I will just list the other items and moan about my choices later.

600w Lumii Digital ballast reflector and bulb.

Hydroponic Fan Carbon Filter Duct Kit 4 inch

Black orchid axial flow intake fan 4 inch

Air Pump 210L/H with air stones

12" Oscillating fan

Clay Pebbles 50L

Black and white mylar sheeting.

25w rootit cfl and stand (2feet)

Now on to the seeds.

I knew from very early 4 strains of the same would be best, makes sense really but I have and always will be a white widow kind of guy, my budget for seeds had taken a hit with a blown of tyre on my truck so I went for 3 feminized AMS and a white widow auto.

I fitted the grow space out and made sure everything worked as it should and was happy with the results, it was quiet, no light bleed in or out and a very pro looking finish with the mylar.

I germinated by using the paper towel method and it worked flawlessly, all seeds popped and the tail on each was about 5mm, I moved these to rockwool blocks and let them all show before putting the cfl on them 24/7.

I waited for the second node and then transplanted to my wilmas clay pebbles, I made sure to rinse clay in water but it was not PH balanced.
I have no real excuse, but at the time it seemed reasonable to assume my friends water was the same as mine and his was 6.4 from the tap.

I put them in the hydro but kept the cfl on and hand watered for the next few days, then I started the HPS...this is where it all fell apart.
I checked them 3 times a day and had the light over 3 feet from them with the cfl as a secondary much closer.

I noticed on the first day with the HPS my temps were around 39c, after a talk with my friend he assured my 39c was not to hot but dont get the light to close to the plants.

The plants seemed to be doing ok after the 9th day but I was completely unprepared for what came next, my light cycle is 18/6 so its set for 7am start and 1am finish, I woke as always at just after 7, checked my plants and went to work, 9 hours later and the warmest day of the year, I came home to get some food and check my plants...my temps were showing 44c with a highest reading that day of 49c, my little plants looked like I had put them in an oven.

I put off the HPS and just stuck with cfl the next day all plants looked a little better but I just kept with the cfl as it was another warm day, after 4 days the white widow and one of the AMS were looking healthy but the other 2 AMS looked really sickly.

From the move to the clay I had been on 1/4 feed jungle juice with nothing else but tap water I neither let sit to get rid of the chlorine or PH balanced.

I asked my friend so many questions during all of this but kept getting the same answers, he does it this way he kept saying i was over feeding and it wasn't the heat, it wasn't my PH etc etc....

I could think of nothing else to do as googling these things just seemed alien.

Im my own head I was just flat blaming the heat, with one thing and another I was super short of funds so I ended up swapped my HPS for a 400w older light with new bulb and a cooler hood. I also got given 4 soil grown at this time.

Around this time I had joined 420mag so was just asking some random panicked questions (sorry)

Not wanting to spend any more cash on fans and such I jury rigged the cooler hood to my carbon filter and its fan, that seemed to work enough for me to feel safe to put it back on, max temps that way on a warm day ended up around 34c.
I knew in my heart and from some good advice here that keeping a nice atmosphere was key so I splashed out on a TD silent for the hood and fitted it a few days ago....OMG never above 29c 90% of the time the heat is 27.7c very stable stuff.

I also bought a PH meter and PPM meter.

My PPM is perfect (my measurements were always good so I feel the PPM meter is a touch un-needed but my PH was 7.4, I got some ph down (and ph up, twin pack) and fixed that so now I drop the PH to 6.4 and let it creep up to 7 before dropping it again to 6.4, and now let my water sit for 24 hours before adding anything.

I have missed out on the grow areas constant upheavals and such but the plants are looking good now.

I topped the WW auto and fimmed another and LSTed another, I lolly popped yet another and left another to its own devices.

Pictures might be up in a few hours but might be tomorrow as Im unsure if my camera has the battery power to take any.

I will also update on every change or every 3 days what ever comes first.

pH_chart7.jpg

Do I follow this for PH??

Having real issues with my rechargeable battery's, used my phone but its only an old HTC desire so the quality of two of the pics are rubbish....

I will buy new battery's tomorrow but moving them to take pictures is a pest so I am only going to concentrate on the AMS and WW just now.

I don't have a great deal of time when I can look after my girls I am all about the temps PPM, PH and such.

I promise better pic but I did say I would get pics up...sorry.

Anyway have now dropped the PH to 5.5 and will let it creep up from there.

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read the photo gallery tutorial: Photo Gallery Guide: How to Resize, Upload & Post Photos

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Thanks and hope all is well in your world.

Love and respect from all of us here at 420 Magazine.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom