Sativa plant growing too tall

SugarMunchkins

420 Member
Hello everyone and thank you for accepting me into this community! It's my first grow and I have done extensive research before I began but using a bagseed I wasn't sure what plant I was gonna get. it turned out to be sativa when I switched it to flower (it had broad indica type leaves during veg and I was 100% sure it's an indica which is weird considering how they have thinned out in flower).

I switched to flowering on May 9th and it's still growing taller. I'm using Cree cob 3590 (3500k) 100watts as my light. I have already bent and tied the branches sticking to the light and I don't have any more space to tie them. What else can I do at this point? Can I cut branches off? I know that sounds horrible but I'd rather have few good colas than ruining the whole plant.

Attachments

• IMG_9729.JPG
    IMG_9729.JPG
    674.4 KB · Views: 143
  • IMG_9730.JPG
    IMG_9730.JPG
    623.9 KB · Views: 107
  • IMG_9731.JPG
    IMG_9731.JPG
    952.6 KB · Views: 108
Hi,
I suggest you watch some instructional videos on super cropping. Unless the branches have turned too wooden, and if you're patient enough, you should be able to make 90 degree bends on your branches.

I did previously bend the main stem but the other problem now is that I also don't have any more space across the scrog to bend into. I'm so lost right now

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    487.5 KB · Views: 83
If you look into one the pictures in the first post, the plant is just too densely packed. Can I remove 50% of the smaller leaves to allow more light penetration into the plant?

Have you exhausted all possible ways to get the light higher?
Any way to lower the pot?
Can you pull the light to the side and let it hang on an angle and shine sideways a bit? Then let the plant grow past the light.

Yes, you can defoliate. But remember, each leaf you remove is feeding a bud with energy. I defoliate a lot, and I always assess each leaf wether it'll be better where it is or removed to give energy to other lower buds instead.

It's only one plant. Yes that's the highest the light will go. And i thought of putting it to the side but I have already made fixture in the middle and if we're to move it anywhere else I would have to make another hanging fixture which isn't possible at this point.

What would happen if I snapped off half the stem and left half of it? Would it still bud?

Hard to see clearly what the shape of the plant looks like but I suppose it’s just a big thicket. Yes you can remove half the branches if you want, thin it out, supercrop and bend over the rest. It won’t slow it down much. A little slowing won’t hurt at this point anyway, it’s just barely starting to bud now and looks you have at least a couple more weeks stretching to go.

Also no real reason why you can’t transplant if you want, but the plant seems healthy enough as is. Flowering the sativas in small pots like that helps keep their size down, as long as you don’t mind having to water often.

It is a very teeny container and a very teeny amount of light though as Nun Yabiz said. I’m confused you say it’s only when plant when the pic shows two containers (?)

Mate dont panic. you can get the biggest fan leaves out of there without any issues buds can grow close together if airflow is good so less leaf means better airflow. The fan leaves are better suited to wild growing in nature and competition from so many other plants ect.... With indoor grows , we provide so much constant daily light at the right spectrum for ALL the leaves to get busy using chlorophyll. The big fans are great workhouses when your grabbing every possible fractal of light in a wild environment but again for us , we shower it in light and keep it that way by training , defoliating ect... so the big fans have a lot less work to really do so can be removed to gain bud sites more light. There are some brutal defoliations on here that have produced monsters from getting light around more. try opening her up a little more , then see where you can supercrop the bigger tops without blocking another bud.

You've got good help here. Welcome.

Oh lol no sorry for the confusion guys. The small cup is seperate that I cloned from this plant for colloidal silver experiment. The main plant in picture is in a 4 gallon pot. I can't take a picture now because it went to sleep lol but yeah it's in a large pot. However if the situatation is as you say weaeelCracker that's just starting to flower then I'm in big trouble I already thought it's been a mont and it was done with stretching because I flipped it May 9th. I can't imagine what I'll do now. In the meantime I'll defoliate tomorrow morning in the day cycle.

Hmmm I hate that word ‘defoliate’. Not 100% sure what you mean by that but if it means going through and pulling a lot of the leaves off -you’re still going to have a mess after.

Honestly IMO all you need to do is thin out the number of branches to a reasonable amount, remove shaded undergrowth, and bend (supercrop) and organize the remaining limbs so they lay down instead of growing up into the lights.

How long in flower?

Like Weasel said

Trim a bit to open it up. Bend the tops, say 12" down, into itself so you don't make it wider

I got a few pics I'll try and find, just did it a couple weeks ago

Basically this is what my grow is looks like but you're right it's a huge thicket forest packed in itself. My sketching skills are bad and iPhone doesn't really help either but hope you get the idea. I have all night to plan for tomorrow and I'll take your advise about removing some stems and thinning it out.

That and what Chris Scorpio has done with his plant which is something I have never seen in my life before it's very impressive!

Attachments

• IMG_9739.PNG
    IMG_9739.PNG
    205.3 KB · Views: 72
Back
Top Bottom