Scientific data for edibles making

Dontdisrespectmylung

i'm literally so done with this, every single source online cites a different time and temp to decarb, i'm so tired of people pulling numbers out of their ass, i wanna know what's the most efficent way to get the most out of my bud.

how is it possible that there is no testing/ research on this, i was only able to find the old 90's study which is largely regarded as inaccurate

and this r/trees - Bongserpent's Guide to Decarboxylation

which does seem great at first, but people are saying this info is also incorrect..

does anyone have the temp and time to get the absolute most of the THC out of your buds? and perhaps something to backup their claims?

145c for 8 mins seems to get my higher than 120c for 30/40/50. but 145c seems wayy too high!

how is it possible that there is no testing/ research on this,....
As long at Marijuana is classified as a Schedule 1 drug in the US it is next to impossible to get approval from the federal government to do any kind of testing of anything connected to the plant, its flowers and its effects.

i'm so tired of people pulling numbers out of their ass, i wanna know what's the most efficent way to get the most out of my bud.
They are not pulling numbers out of nowhere. Most of them are mentioning what has worked for them in the past and the methods that have given them the best results. It is the way it is.

does anyone have the temp and time to get the absolute most of the THC out of your buds? and perhaps something to backup their claims?
I do not make edibles but do make a salve for sore joints and aching muscles. According to my notes and recipes I decarb one ounce for 2 or 3 hours at 180F or 200F. Then I will mix the buds and leaves with 300 to 400ml of melting Coocnut oil and leave that in the oven for 16 to 30 hours. Follow that with adding something like Shea Butter to firm up the product so it is not liquid at room temps. The only way I can back this up is that I have taken notes, written down recipes and that it works for me. The family members, friends and 'friends of friends' say the salve works for them and they come back to buy more.

The only way you are going to be able to get the best out of your flowers is to experiment and find what works for you. Once you find something that works there is no guarantee that it will make the next guy or gal happy.;).

As long at Marijuana is classified as a Schedule 1 drug in the US it is next to impossible to get approval from the federal government to do any kind of testing of anything connected to the plant, its flowers and its effects.

They are not pulling numbers out of nowhere. Most of them are mentioning what has worked for them in the past and the methods that have given them the best results. It is the way it is.

I do not make edibles but do make a salve for sore joints and aching muscles. According to my notes and recipes I decarb one ounce for 2 or 3 hours at 180F or 200F. Then I will mix the buds and leaves with 300 to 400ml of melting Coocnut oil and leave that in the oven for 16 to 30 hours. Follow that with adding something like Shea Butter to firm up the product so it is not liquid at room temps. The only way I can back this up is that I have taken notes, written down recipes and that it works for me. The family members, friends and 'friends of friends' say the salve works for them and they come back to buy more.

The only way you are going to be able to get the best out of your flowers is to experiment and find what works for you. Once you find something that works there is no guarantee that it will make the next guy or gal happy.;).
what about 250f for 30 min, is that acceptable/optimal as some claim?

can someone who uses the oven method weigh in? i don't do cannabutter i eat the weed straight withfat
If you use a higher temp it decarbs faster, but you can also hit the point where you're converting THC into CBN more quickly.
There are too many variables for scientific research to help much as the accuracy of the thermostat in your oven, the amount of weed, and the degree to which you've ground your bud all play a part in how fast and how thoroughly it will decarb.
I've used an oven but now I use a toaster oven at 230f, for 40 minutes. At that point I check the weed. The colour should have changed to take on a bit of a brownish hue. If it hasn't it needs a bit longer.
Having the convection fan on can make it happen a little faster, and a little more evenly, but it can also cause you problems if the fan is too powerful, or incorrectly positioned. I would turn it off.
It should be spread as evenly and as thin as possible on a nonstick surface (I use parchment paper on a cookie sheet) to get as even a decarb as possible. You may want to move it around so that the edges don't get overdone while the centre is still raw.
Hope that helps.

If you use a higher temp it decarbs faster, but you can also hit the point where you're converting THC into CBN more quickly.
There are too many variables for scientific research to help much as the accuracy of the thermostat in your oven, the amount of weed, and the degree to which you've ground your bud all play a part in how fast and how thoroughly it will decarb.
I've used an oven but now I use a toaster oven at 230f, for 40 minutes. At that point I check the weed. The colour should have changed to take on a bit of a brownish hue. If it hasn't it needs a bit longer.
Having the convection fan on can make it happen a little faster, and a little more evenly, but it can also cause you problems if the fan is too powerful, or incorrectly positioned. I would turn it off.
It should be spread as evenly and as thin as possible on a nonstick surface (I use parchment paper on a cookie sheet) to get as even a decarb as possible. You may want to move it around so that the edges don't get overdone while the centre is still raw.
Hope that helps.
when i was talking about the fan i was talking about the one build-in with the oven

when i was talking about the fan i was talking about the one build-in with the oven
Yes, I know. I would turn it off.
If you trust that the company that made it used the correct type of fan, and positioned it properly, then go ahead and use it. It'll cut down on the time to decarb, and increase the smell.

can someone who uses the oven method weigh in? i don't do cannabutter i eat the weed straight withfat
Oven method stinks the place out and not necessary for baking
I use it for cookies and gravy, which will be heated anyway
Seems to work :meditate:

also, is that fan assisted oven or not? because it makes a big difference,
Don’t use fan assisted and if you do wrap in tin foil first. Have ruined the temp monitors in 2 FA ovens, some sort of sticky stuff (possibly THC?) ended up in the motors.

2 separate times on 2 separate occasions years apart. Both never the same. Could cook a whole chicken in 15 minutes 😂😂

I agree with previous post that said people here just offering what they’ve tried. YOU are the scientist in all this 🤟

GW Pharmaceuticals was issued a patent for decarb process. Here’s what their white lab coats came up with . Data source is SensiSeeds website

A patent owned by the UK company GW Pharmaceuticals defines the ideal conditions for decarboxylation: It involves low temperatures and a relatively long period of heating. This process ensures that 95% of the cannabinoid acids are converted into their phenol form without many decomposition products being created. Another benefit: The aromatic terpenes remain intact. Terpenes are responsible for the aroma, taste and they also influence the effect of cannabis.

According to the patent, decarboxylation in a lab setting should be carried out in two steps:

1. First heat the cannabis briefly, to make any remaining moisture evaporate.
  2. Then heat the plant material twice more for longer periods.
The best results involve 15 minutes at a temperature of 105°C and then 60 to 120 minutes at the same temperature.

If you are using a marijuana variety which has a very high CBD content, (defined as >90% CBD as a percentage of the total cannabinoid content), then the second phase needs to be 30 minutes at 140°C.

GW Pharmaceuticals was issued a patent for decarb process. Here’s what their white lab coats came up with . Data source is SensiSeeds website

A patent owned by the UK company GW Pharmaceuticals defines the ideal conditions for decarboxylation: It involves low temperatures and a relatively long period of heating. This process ensures that 95% of the cannabinoid acids are converted into their phenol form without many decomposition products being created. Another benefit: The aromatic terpenes remain intact. Terpenes are responsible for the aroma, taste and they also influence the effect of cannabis.

According to the patent, decarboxylation in a lab setting should be carried out in two steps:

1. First heat the cannabis briefly, to make any remaining moisture evaporate.
  2. Then heat the plant material twice more for longer periods.
The best results involve 15 minutes at a temperature of 105°C and then 60 to 120 minutes at the same temperature.

If you are using a marijuana variety which has a very high CBD content, (defined as >90% CBD as a percentage of the total cannabinoid content), then the second phase needs to be 30 minutes at 140°C.
Amazing reference. Thank you 🙏

I’m so stoned I nearly said I’ve got a zed of decarbed weed here, I’ll show you how I did it tomorrow 😂😂

Lol. Will dig out the method I use in the oven, have to bloody convert it all from centigrade to Fahrenheit for y’all over the pond.

Feel like I’m in the matrix so will do it mañana 🤟😂

so i did 120c for 30 mins

weed looked golden brown when taken out. 0.5g of 18% weed.

it did get me high but not a lot....

whereas last time i did 0.3g of mid-grade hash at 145c for 8 mins and i was straight up on the moon

then i tried 0.2 hash for 40 mins at 120, didn't get very high.

the thing is, 145c should be way too much! i don't understand

what do you guys suggest i try next? i def think 0.5 of weed should've gotten me much higher off a edible, especially because my tolerance isn't very high at all

weed looked golden brown
That sounds like you went too far. Mine is a brownish green when it's done. I don't know why you didn't get high from it when you did from the second batch.

Back
Top Bottom