SCROG Nets

They're one of the best methods to using an entire grow space and maintaining an even canopy, in my opinion. Scrogging is a method of LST, it's just the net is the one keeping everything "down" instead of plant ties / string etc. I scrog exclusively since it gets me the best yields. I'm not sure what there is to be skeptical about

Would LST = SCROG ?
No, but LST is used to create a SCRoG. LST is used to shape your plants, including but not limited to SCRoG, Quadlining, and NugBuckets Mainline.

Do they actually work? I'm skeptical....
Their purpose in a SCRoG is usually to help fill a horizontal space with your plants. They take the place of other forms of tie downs. I use a screen to support the plants when they get too high for the tie downs. They can be a foot or more above that level.

Here's my tent:

full

Inside Tent Showing Plant Training and Support

Automatic Waterer / Early Training Screen:
These are 5" X 9", 1" mesh cage material. They are clipped to the caged grow bags when my plants are transplanted into them. They provide a handy place to tie down branches for training, as well as support for the dripper rings.

Adjustable Net:
The net itself is 2" square 16ga cage material clamped with 1 X 2 lumber. The lumber has been ripped so the net is clamped between two pieces of wood. The slides are 1/4" plywood backed with 1 X 2 lumber. They have 3/4" nylon cable clamps fitted around the upright tent poles to keep them aligned. Once the plants get large enough the net is bolted to the slides, and used for training. As they mature the ties are removed, and the net is raised to provide support for the branches.

Plant Yoyos:
Some branches always seem to grow faster, ans stretch longer than others. Some don't get as thick as the others and want to fall over. I use Plant Yoyos to provide additional support in both of these cases.

Here is the progression of a scrog I did. It works great to keep everything even. Super easy just keep spreading the branches under the screen.. If one starts getting above the rest bring it another square out to make the vertical part shorter. Don't let things start growing up above the screen at all basically until a few days into 12/12.

Wah, nice, see what is meant by the plants are evenly spaced. That'd be a lot more light exposure.

Do you set the net at a height based on the number of nodes?

Here's my tent:

full

Inside Tent Showing Plant Training and Support

Automatic Waterer / Early Training Screen:
These are 5" X 9", 1" mesh cage material. They are clipped to the caged grow bags when my plants are transplanted into them. They provide a handy place to tie down branches for training, as well as support for the dripper rings.

Adjustable Net:
The net itself is 2" square 16ga cage material clamped with 1 X 2 lumber. The lumber has been ripped so the net is clamped between two pieces of wood. The slides are 1/4" plywood backed with 1 X 2 lumber. They have 3/4" nylon cable clamps fitted around the upright tent poles to keep them aligned. Once the plants get large enough the net is bolted to the slides, and used for training. As they mature the ties are removed, and the net is raised to provide support for the branches.

Plant Yoyos:
Some branches always seem to grow faster, ans stretch longer than others. Some don't get as thick as the others and want to fall over. I use Plant Yoyos to provide additional support in both of these cases.

Practical setup. I dig the bag cage idea.

Do you find a second (third, really) net is unnecessary and opt for the yoyos?

I just ordered supplies to build a DIY adjustable SCRoG net from Home Depot / Amazon, were 2" squares chosen for a specific reason(s)? Thanks man.

This size was something I saw used in a stealth grow cabinet back in the late '80s or early '90s on the 'net. The author used it for SCRoGs. After thinking about it, I thought I could move a net with that spacing without damaging the branches during a grow, and even slip a leaf or two through the mesh. This has proven to be true.

As I looked through more modern operations using nets made from cordage, I noticed that the plants forced this flexible netting to bulge often a lot. I wanted a more rigid support, so I stayed with the wire.

The idea for caging the grow bags came from the limited floor space, and seeing the uncaged bags bulge enough that I couldn't get four of them in my tent. I built hundreds of small animal cages in my teen aged years, so I used the skills and knowledge gained.

I'll search my archives. I think I have that early stealth growing article somewhere. It could easily be updated for more modern growing techniques.

Edit: The article is actually a series of posts from 1997 newsgroups. The instructions for building the cabinet are not included, so I won't repost it.

This size was something I saw used in a stealth grow cabinet back in the late '80s or early '90s on the 'net. The author used it for SCRoGs. After thinking about it, I thought I could move a net with that spacing without damaging the branches during a grow, and even slip a leaf or two through the mesh. This has proven to be true.

As I looked through more modern operations using nets made from cordage, I noticed that the plants forced this flexible netting to bulge often a lot. I wanted a more rigid support, so I stayed with the wire.

The idea for caging the grow bags came from the limited floor space, and seeing the uncaged bags bulge enough that I couldn't get four of them in my tent. I built hundreds of small animal cages in my teen aged years, so I used the skills and knowledge gained.

I'll search my archives. I think I have that early stealth growing article somewhere. It could easily be updated for more modern growing techniques.

Edit: The article is actually a series of posts from 1997 newsgroups. The instructions for building the cabinet are not included, so I won't repost it.

Huh, neat how setups evolve to meet people's specific needs. No one right way of doin something if it gets the results you want. Cant wait to make my tent streamlined and efficient as possible - then I can start learning LST techniques. My first plants I let grow naturally so I've got something to compare it to. Appreciate your experience. Has helped immeasurably. :thumb:

Huh, neat how setups evolve to meet people's specific needs. No one right way of doin something if it gets the results you want. Cant wait to make my tent streamlined and efficient as possible - then I can start learning LST techniques. My first plants I let grow naturally so I've got something to compare it to. Appreciate your experience. Has helped immeasurably. :thumb:
This is a SCROG with LST - Notice how the main stem is trained to be bent horizontal:

scrogging-diagram_1.jpg

Ah yea get it now! I thought the plants just grew straight up through so I was thinking what's the point of that! Lol
Yes, :) Some use it to support as well as space the colas evenly but they aren't doing LST. When I do mine it will be like the picture I posted... that is my aim anyway. TBH, if one just supercrops the main stem you end up with a pretty flat canopy anyway without using a net. I've done a few in soil.

Yes, :) Some use it to support as well as space the colas evenly but they aren't doing LST. When I do mine it will be like the picture I posted... that is my aim anyway. TBH, if one just supercrops the main stem you end up with a pretty flat canopy anyway without using a net. I've done a few in soil.

Hmmm... with a net you could manually spread the shoots out in squares like in the photo. That sounds really good if space is tight!

My LST is done before the branches reach the main screen. As you mentioned, mine is used to space the colas on a 6" (15cm) grid. Using the screen, I can get 32 colas from a 2' X 4' (60 X 120cm) tent.

Back
Top Bottom