Should I install a SCROG net ?

popolino77

My tent is 30/18/36 inches w/d/h. the plants i am growing is early miss auto they grow to be around 3 feet tall. My plants have not even popped up out of the soil yet. Will i have to install a SCROG net ? And if yes how big do i let them grow before installing the net or should i install the net now before they start growing ? And can i use a car cargo net ?

My tent is 30/18/36 inches w/d/h. the plants i am growing is early miss auto they grow to be around 3 feet tall. My plants have not even popped up out of the soil yet. Will i have to install a SCROG net ? And if yes how big do i let them grow before installing the net ? And can i use a car cargo net ?

scrog is usually done to take advantage of florescent lights and their low penetration abilities. SCRog is to allow you to get as many of the top buds lined up horizontally on the screen as you can, no more than 4" from the lights. In order to do this, most scroggers use a lot finer mesh screen than a cargo net, I used 1 1/2" chicken wire when I did mine, because holes too much larger than that do not give you the control that you need to go horizontally with an even canopy. Scrog screens are usually installed about 10" above the soil and then the plants are severely bent to fit under that screen, and everything from that point is trained to grow under that screen. Scroggers are advised to continue in veg, until that screen is 40% full, and then when the switch to flower is made, during the two weeks of stretch, the screen is filled, and only at the very end of stretch do you allow all the individual buds to start growing vertically through the holes.

a cargo net on the other hand would be a wonderful way to provide additional support for taller plants, and you might be onto something here... going to think about that one... I might just have an application, but in your short tent, I think you might have to be a little more forceful than this and think seriously about a proper SCRog screen.

DSCF29132.JPG

While chicken wire will work, might I suggest you build your own out of string instead of wire. Much easier at harvest time, just snip the string and pull it out of the way. If you are not sure how to make one it is simple, build a pvc square out of 3/4" PVC pipe and fittings then what I did was put screws into the PVC every 3 inches apart but did not run the screw all the way in. The use the screw to wrap the sting around to create a grid always going over one then under the next. Just think of graph paper and you will know what I mean.You can make what ever size opening you think will work best for you.
You do not have to instal your SCROG until you have your plants at or slightly above your desired height. I set mine at 33 inches above the floor of my tent. Just make sure you make it high enough so you can crawl under to do plant maintenance and watering.

While chicken wire will work, might I suggest you build your own out of string instead of wire. Much easier at harvest time, just snip the string and pull it out of the way. If you are not sure how to make one it is simple, build a pvc square out of 3/4" PVC pipe and fittings then what I did was put screws into the PVC every 3 inches apart but did not run the screw all the way in. The use the screw to wrap the sting around to create a grid always going over one then under the next. Just think of graph paper and you will know what I mean.You can make what ever size opening you think will work best for you.
You do not have to instal your SCROG until you have your plants at or slightly above your desired height. I set mine at 33 inches above the floor of my tent. Just make sure you make it high enough so you can crawl under to do plant maintenance and watering.

just a matter of personal preference there... I reused that screen many many times over a couple of years back then when all I could afford was that big T5 x 8 array. Chopping the plants free of the screen is not that hard, and I found that the chicken wire gave me the strength to support the canopy that was lacking with string (my first attempt) and I got a much more even canopy because of it. I still have that screen by the way, it now lives on top of my 4x4 tent in case I ever need it again.

I want a square net i can tie its 4 corners to my tents frame, i will tie it level and very tight. If i do low stress training bending branches and holding them with zip ties, will this do the same thing as having a net ?

Back
Top Bottom