Sea of green set up

I’ve got one finishing up in there right now in Dwc, these were going out in garden I just kept reading how much nicer soil buds are and I’m intrigued.

nicest buds are the ones in the jars. i laugh at the soil or not debate. ten years ago if it wasn't hydro here you couldn't give it away. now all the same losers are claiming organics are the answer. it's just marketing and fashion.

when we sold we told them whatever they wanted to hear.

You definitely can grow SoG style from seed :peace:

I've done it many times to test a lot of strains fast or to clear out freebies and excess seeds.

My method, using soil, is a very easy and super lazy approach that won't interfere too much with life.
Exclusive of setting up and harvesting, I tend to my plants for a maximum average of 15 minutes per week (growing in two 4x4 tents).
  • All you gotta do is fill your tent with small fabric pots, preferably ½ gallon pots (5mm gap between pots is optimal - don't cram them together and don't have too much gap)
  • Pots are placed in a bottom tray (get a proper one e.g. Flexitray, don't trust the tent tray!)
  • Water straight into the bottom tray with 25-33% of the total pot volume, E.G. 16x ½ gallon pots = 8 gallon → water with 2 - 2.5 gallon - all plants are treated equally nutrient wise
  • 12/12 from start to finish
  • Go hard on nutes when the stretch begins - don't worry about burning some of the plants
  • No topping, no defoliation, no delarfing (if lights are underpowered you can pinch off the bottom 1-2 bud sites)
  • Make sure you check all plants regularly for hermies in weeks 3-6
  • Chop at week 9-12
Yes, a few plants won't like the small pot size and/or not vegging but they'll still produce some bud, and the speed and the volume of plants makes plenty up for this.

You'd probably be able to fit 16 or 25 pots in your tent.

I would recommend adding some perlite to the light/all mix to properly aerate the roots for this grow style ;)

Pot tip: When ordering pots add 10-15% to the advertized measurements, once you fill fabric pots with soil they always take up more space than the specs say!

This is from my latest seed SoG with 36x 1 gallon pots in a 4x4 tent (with 3 weeks 18/6 from planting seeds to flip AKA Semi-SoG :) )

IMG_20240418_153627.jpg
IMG_20240418_153705.jpg

IMG_20240418_153555.jpg
IMG_20240418_153647.jpg
IMG_20240418_153634.jpg
IMG_20240418_153515.jpg
IMG_20240418_153502.jpg

IMG_20240418_153614.jpg

yeah, 12/12 from seed works. they run the similar as autos for time. you need the light to do it though.
those look perfect @PurpleGunRack , no hard issues at all.

still, most sog runs over and over from mothers and clones. unless you have a source or make your own seed it's far cheaper.

edit : we only ran 1 cola per plant on the clone runs and had no side branching.

yeah, 12/12 from seed works. they run the similar as autos for time. you need the light to do it though.
those look perfect @PurpleGunRack , no hard issues at all.

still, most sog runs over and over from mothers and clones. unless you have a source or make your own seed it's far cheaper.

edit : we only ran 1 cola per plant on the clone runs and had no side branching.

Yes, I highly recommend hunting the right cuts and growing them out if you grow perpetually, there was a Terple (the purple blurry one) in this grow that would have been awesome to keep for that, but I'm clearing out old seeds, freebies, and Ethos fan club seeds before moving, so no keepers this round :)

If you only grow occasionally or have an excess of seeds, it's a nice way of getting some bud quickly and have a wide variety to choose from + it's actually makes it more fun when you've grown for many years to see that variety pack unfold than just producing as usual :)
And a seed SoG grow fits perfectly in a 3 month sublet apartment ;)

Definitely need a good amount of light to get good results, I ran the lights at 700w for this grow.

Yes, avoiding side branching and increasing the plant count is always a good idea, side branching makes it a bitch to spot hermies, a true SoG is soooo much easier to handle than a semi-SoG :)

Yes, I highly recommend hunting the right cuts and growing them out if you grow perpetually, there was a Terple (the purple blurry one) in this grow that would have been awesome to keep for that, but I'm clearing out old seeds, freebies, and Ethos fan club seeds before moving, so no keepers this round :)

that's how to do it. :cheesygrinsmiley:

If you only grow occasionally or have an excess of seeds, it's a nice way of getting some bud quickly and have a wide variety to choose from + it's actually makes it more fun when you've grown for many years to see that variety pack unfold than just producing as usual :)

variety is always good.

And a seed SoG grow fits perfectly in a 3 month sublet apartment ;)

lol. i'm a bit less nomadic these days. :laughtwo:
i still grow under ... odd circumstances. it's technically legal. i'm split between two places but can't legally move plants in flower.

makes for an interesting trip in my vw during the grow. i've had kids in cars pointing and yelling as i drive past .. it's mostly a short freeway trip on the city outskirts so it can be fun as there's no getting stopped.

Definitely need a good amount of light to get good results, I ran the lights at 700w for this grow.

sweeet, there is no replacement for light. are you running co2 as well ? i've tried but never made it work for the cost.

Yes, avoiding side branching and increasing the plant count is always a good idea, side branching makes it a bitch to spot hermies, a true SoG is soooo much easier to handle than a semi-SoG :)

not sure if you saw my 2L hempy grow for the previous pages, it's very similar as your as it's from seed.

full

those are 6 buckets but i've run up to 12 in the same space.

we used to do clone runs in dozens of 1 gallon ice cream buckets in hp yrs ago pre cloth buckets. i still use a cheap hp promix and hp garden / potting, plus perite mix for a lot of things. water only till it's rooted and flip in sog and then fed at veg levels to finish.

the cloth pots are a game changer though. wish we had them

sog is most often run off mother plants and a lot of clones. the structure of a plant from seed is not the best for sog, and you included dwc as a possible method, which does not lend itself to sog at all.

search for hempy sog if you want to run an easy set up.

here is an example

full
Sorry to blow up the narrative but the pic you posted was done with all seeds.

I would never plant 2 seeds in one pot on purpose. They would fight each other for root space, then they would also compete for nutrients, strongest one wins other one dies or gives little to no yield.

It can be successful but why risk it on purpose
I ran 3 different clones in one 7 gal cloth pot......

Next time I do that I'm going to run a slow motion live feed called Battle of the Buds so that people on FB can watch and see which cultivar beats the others. The finale will be me test smoking and reviewing!!! 😆

You definitely can grow SoG style from seed :peace:

I've done it many times to test a lot of strains fast or to clear out freebies and excess seeds.

My method, using soil, is a very easy and super lazy approach that won't interfere too much with life.
Exclusive of setting up and harvesting, I tend to my plants for a maximum average of 15 minutes per week (growing in two 4x4 tents).
  • All you gotta do is fill your tent with small fabric pots, preferably ½ gallon pots (5mm gap between pots is optimal - don't cram them together and don't have too much gap)
  • Pots are placed in a bottom tray (get a proper one e.g. Flexitray, don't trust the tent tray!)
  • Water straight into the bottom tray with 25-33% of the total pot volume, E.G. 16x ½ gallon pots = 8 gallon → water with 2 - 2.5 gallon - all plants are treated equally nutrient wise
  • 12/12 from start to finish
  • Go hard on nutes when the stretch begins - don't worry about burning some of the plants
  • No topping, no defoliation, no delarfing (if lights are underpowered you can pinch off the bottom 1-2 bud sites)
  • Make sure you check all plants regularly for hermies in weeks 3-6
  • Chop at week 9-12
Yes, a few plants won't like the small pot size and/or not vegging but they'll still produce some bud, and the speed and the volume of plants makes plenty up for this.

You'd probably be able to fit 16 or 25 pots in your tent.

I would recommend adding some perlite to the light/all mix to properly aerate the roots for this grow style ;)

Pot tip: When ordering pots add 10-15% to the advertized measurements, once you fill fabric pots with soil they always take up more space than the specs say!

This is from my latest seed SoG with 36x 1 gallon pots in a 4x4 tent (with 3 weeks 18/6 from planting seeds to flip AKA Semi-SoG :) )

IMG_20240418_153627.jpg
IMG_20240418_153705.jpg

IMG_20240418_153555.jpg
IMG_20240418_153647.jpg
IMG_20240418_153634.jpg
IMG_20240418_153515.jpg
IMG_20240418_153502.jpg

IMG_20240418_153614.jpg
Is 300w led strong enough ? They 75x75

Could I have some shorter indica dominant with some Sativa dominant like Jack herer and Durban poison if I tie down branches to lst for even canopy? Or will
This use too much recovery time?

no reason not to try. it will increase canopy size for each plant trained. managing space for what you want to do will always be the number one issue in that size.

Could I have some shorter indica dominant with some Sativa dominant like Jack herer and Durban poison if I tie down branches to lst for even canopy? Or will
This use too much recovery time?

Sure, you can train plants if some get out of hand and push the minimum hanging distance of the light too far upwards for the overall canopy.

Bend, break, and tie away at any point throughout the grow to make them fit (if you snap branches just mend with some tape).
One of the advantages with SoG is that you can afford to take a hit and sacrifice a plant or two without losing much of the overall yield, so don't worry about being rough with them or bending a crazy stretcher into a 90° angle mid-flower.
It's incredible how much abuse this amazing plant can tolerate and still produce great results :)

You can also put something under short plants to raise them or hang the light at an angle and arrange plants shortest to highest, and of course use any combination of the different ways to manage the canopy and get the most out of the light.

Sure, you can train plants if some get out of hand and push the minimum hanging distance of the light too far upwards for the overall canopy.

Bend, break, and tie away at any point throughout the grow to make them fit (if you snap branches just mend with some tape).
One of the advantages with SoG is that you can afford to take a hit and sacrifice a plant or two without losing much of the overall yield, so don't worry about being rough with them or bending a crazy stretcher into a 90° angle mid-flower.
It's incredible how much abuse this amazing plant can tolerate and still produce great results :)

You can also put something under short plants to raise them or hang the light at an angle and arrange plants shortest to highest, and of course use any combination of the different ways to manage the canopy and get the most out of the light.
Excellent info mate appreciate it. If I use coco would they get too big in your opinion?

Excellent info mate appreciate it. If I use coco would they get too big in your opinion?
Any medium will do, just keep pH within a decent range and be somewhat on point with watering :)

I would mos likely do 3-4 weeks 18/6 then flip but let me know your thoughts on this.
That's what I did in the pictures above, I would advise to do more plants in smaller pots and go 12/12 from the beginning, but sure it works, you just gotta delarf at flip and again after 2-3 weeks.

It's even possible to top above the very first node (some prefer above 2nd node and remove the lower set of side branches) and have 2 mains (AKA Double SoG), might require a little more veg time for some plants to bounce back like a week maybe two weeks extra.
You can always mix and match and try topping one or two of the most vigorous plants to test it out.

Good tip is to not adjust light, nutes, water etc. by looking at the 2 best plants or the 2 worst plants, keep the middle-class happy and you'll stay in power ;)

Any medium will do, just keep pH within a decent range and be somewhat on point with watering :)

That's what I did in the pictures above, I would advise to do more plants in smaller pots and go 12/12 from the beginning, but sure it works, you just gotta delarf at flip and again after 2-3 weeks.

It's even possible to top above the very first node (some prefer above 2nd node and remove the lower set of side branches) and have 2 mains (AKA Double SoG), might require a little more veg time for some plants to bounce back like a week maybe two weeks extra.
You can always mix and match and try topping one or two of the most vigorous plants to test it out.

Good tip is to not adjust light, nutes, water etc. by looking at the 2 best plants or the 2 worst plants, keep the middle-class happy and you'll stay in power ;)
I like the idea of topping for 2 cola I think in coco that would fit perfect for rebound time as it’s faster in veg than soil.

I like the idea of topping for 2 cola I think in coco that would fit perfect for rebound time as it’s faster in veg than soil.
You think

cheers for The help too mate got a big trigger happy buying seeds and I’d like a mix of strains for my shelf. 🤙🏻

Back
Top Bottom