Seedlings won't Veg?

Denwa51

Greetings,
My bag seed seedlings won't grow, they just turn yellow. I am growing in DWC with rockwool cubes. I ph'd the rockwool prior to putting germinating seedlings in, the cotyledon appears and everything stops. They are in a grow tent under a mars300 LED as well as a CFL. I keep my ph at 5.8-6.1 and ppm is 250 without nutes (filtered water and let sit for a few days) cubes are moist not soaked. Tent temps/humidity are good. What else am I missing? I've tried no nutes, few nutes and lots of nutes and nothing works. Any advise? I'm using DNF Grow A&B.

Re: Seedlings won't Vegg

Wish I could help but my first grow in 30 years was in rockwool and I had zero luck with it. :goodluck:
I suspect PH problems. I did what you did but the PH swung constantly - and by a lot.
Then came the root aphids... :surrender: :rip:

A ppm of 250 seems high. Your pH is a bit too high also. If you can find a way to get a filter for your water. Bring your pH down to 5.5. I would also turn of the Mars LED and only use your CFL until they get some growth going. Hope this is of help to you!

What should you do if seed is overwatered? Put in just damp soil or would moving it cause more damage?

Holes in the bottom I haven't watered it since planting why take an led out and use a cfl? For heat?

LED's can be a bit intense for young plants. Seedlings and weak clones will have a hard time under LED's. If you have a Fluro bulb laying around test it out. I would bet money you'll get faster growth from the fluro than the LED. Once they have some body on them (2weeks) put them under the LED and they will take off!

Fluro = fluorescent? No don't have one but can pick up a cfl. What Kelvin should it be? 5500k?

The world does not CARE how much you know, until they know how much u care.

I suggest using a rooter plug or something more natural than rock wool to start out your seedlings. Rockwool is an unnatural fiber made from compressing chalk at like 3500F and the debris from it is hazardous to our health. It doesn't provide much breathing room or nutrition to young plants so it's not suggested for use by some.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

I suggest using a rooter plug or something more natural than rock wool to start out your seedlings. Rockwool is an unnatural fiber made from compressing chalk at like 3500F and the debris from it is hazardous to our health. It doesn't provide much breathing room or nutrition to young plants so it's not suggested for use by some.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App
Yeah I had luck with the normal soil mix I plan on using, I only tried rockwool with radishes that I didn't care if the seeds sprouted or not. They did, but I didn't like using that near as much as a perlite or peat medium I tried in an egg container. I might try sprouting one in just perlite, but it's miracle grow so it has trace nutes in it. I dunno if it's enough to ruin the plant, I assume not, but I dunno if I should rinse it off, mix half of peat with it, both or neither!

The world does not CARE how much you know, until they know how much u care.

13 posts and still no pics. Oh well let's take a stab in the dark shall we
More like a recap of what others have said...

#1 the ambient temperature in the root zone is too cold
#2 the rockwool is over watered / constantly wet.
#3 your lamp doesn't simulate heat like the sun makes

Fix all 3 and you should be fine :thumb:

Hydro is hit or miss for noobs because it's very easy to damage the plant's root system. Trust me I've destroyed enough roots to know! And to this day I continue to destroy them in the name of science.

Plants growing roots like warmth. 76F is nice.

V:bongrip:

I'm not using rockwool or hydro...

420-magazine-mobile328006203.jpg

Here are more pictures of you want I only have one that sprouted and is about day 4
First Grow - Low Budget - Advice Welcome

Rock wool ah...

This sort of stuff normally needs to be PH corrected first before use a simple dunk or soaked in a PH adjusted water for a few hours will do just fine.

Rock wool can hold onto a lot of moisture & can be detrimental to plant health of a young seedling if placed directly in any form of dwc/nft system using such ! you would be far better off starting your plants of in rock wool in a simple tray & wait in till roots protrude from the sides before placing in final system as to avoid any over watering problems etc.

Ye i know people can get freaked out with PPM or nutrients when feeding seedlings with most thinking of grow/veg nutrients... well some brand names do offer nutrients design for seedlings and very young plants extremely low NPK which host a lot of micro nutrients to aid in root growth & very early stage of growth, just need to shop around & look for root complex/juice type stuff !

Back
Top Bottom