Seems some Canadians are uptight about legal cannabis

BAKIND

I was shocked to read this article about Quebec and other provinces. Quebec will not be allowing smoking in public or indoor cultivation, and it seems as there are some other provinces that will not be allowing public smoking either.

It almost seems that they are more uptight than Americans. A recent poll found that 62% of Americans think cannabis should be legalized. I was shocked at this coming from Canada.

62% of Americans think cannabis should be under regulation as opposed to prohibition, essentially a superficial meaning of legal, and some unknown percentage of those people think it should be 100% legal. They (we) don't want folks parading it in the public eye for god, children, and country to see. Most people that I know seem to think it should be treated as alcohol is, so that seems reasonable to the highest percentage of that 62 percentile in my eyes. Honestly, I don't know where I stand on the issue personally, but I agree with all the "family friendly regulations" and disagree with people telling me what I can do in my own house.

But yea, Quebec is giving their citizens the shaft HARD simply because of how its politicians feel emotionally about cannabis. They should probably realize they need to cater to their constituents instead of their own feelings. It sucks, but that's been the story for politicians and pot for decades. They think pot corrupts society, like when they thought it'll turn you gay and you'll start hanging out with coloured people, maybe start listening to rock and roll and kill your parents. It's not the 50's, but I think people are actually dumber now so it equals out somehow.

Canada got over the biggest hurdle. With time, things will change. There are probably a lot of misinformed people that were scared witless, that cannabis was legalized. It is an emotional debate on both sides. People need time to come around. And the powers that be, are evolving.

Already huge shortages of legal pot everywhere. Bet they wish they hadn't got rid of the black market so soon. ;)

:peace:

I was shocked to read this article about Quebec and other provinces. Quebec will not be allowing smoking in public or indoor cultivation, and it seems as there are some other provinces that will not be allowing public smoking either.

It almost seems that they are more uptight than Americans. A recent poll found that 62% of Americans think cannabis should be legalized. I was shocked at this coming from Canada.

Gotta remember that Quebec is a country unto itself and not like most of the rest of Canada. Got a lot of screwed up laws and attitudes there. Language police FFS! Here in Alberta we have some of the best prospects for those interested in opportunities in the legal market.

All the brick and mortar stores are to be privately owned like the liquor stores with online sales handled by the liquor and gambling branch run by the gov't. Smaller micro-grows will be allowed like micro-breweries and distilleries.

Doesn't affect me anyways. I just got my medpot permit upped from 8 - 12g/day and will be applying for my grow permit very soon. 59 indoor plants and almost 6 lbs allowed for storage so I won't be forced to buy gov't approved, chemically sprayed and irradiated schwag like all the sheeple. Finally get legal after almost 20 years of growing here and another 20 before moving here.

Each province is allowed to make it's own rules about whether to allow growing or how and where pot is allowed to be consumed. Quebec is about the worst. BC is pretty harsh tho too and they are like San Francisco north out there.

The black market isn't going anywhere and for them it's business as usual. That will fade tho as the gov't smartens up and lowers the price of legal pot. Here it's about $7/g for crap and close to $20/g for top shelf. Street is about $150 - $200/oz.

:peace:

Donald Trump is getting ready to, not legalize at the federal level, but basically, relax the laws, and leave it up to each state to pass their own laws, from what I read. U.S has now 9 states where cultivation is legal and I think that list will be growing.

Where I am at in Buenos Aires, it's illegal, however, from what I have heard, if you grow for personal, which is what I plan to do, and you don't bother anyone, they won't bother you. There are tons of grow shops around town here, and you're able to find whatever you need. Argentina could legalize at some point. Uruguay already has, and Chile and Brasil have very, very relaxed laws and attitude towards cultivation, although I believe it is still technically illegal.

This is long, rambling, and probably doesn't contain any useful information, lol. For those who cannot read well, have tiny little cell phone diplays instead of monitors, short attention spans, are allergic to my posts, etc., this post may be safely skipped ;) .

I didn't read the article, but if you meant smoking in public enclosed spaces (in other words, buildings), I'd be in favor of that restriction. I've been a heavy (when I could afford to) cigarette smoker for 77% of my life, and even I hated it when people were aloud to light up in restaurants.

62% of Americans think cannabis should be under regulation

I'm one of the United States variety of Americans; I don't know about how the Americans in Canada, Mexico, Cuba, Costa Rica, Greenland, Costa Rica, Peru, Guyana, or any of the dozens of other countries that make up the Americas... But I'm one of the people that are in favor of at least minimal regulation when it comes to buying and selling cannabis. When I was 15, I had an awesome (in my eyes ;) ) beard, so I got pestered pretty regularly by other teenagers who wanted me to go buy beer for them at the grocery store or harder stuff at the liquor store - because those places wouldn't sell to people who didn't look old enough to purchase it. Strangely enough, however, no one ever came up to me and asked if I'd go buy a joint (etc.) at <DEALER> because the person wouldn't sell to them, lol. I guess the dealers figured, since there was no age at which it was actually legal to buy whatever they were selling, then there wasn't exactly a minimum age, either. Or something, IDK.

These days, it's pretty difficult for people "under the minimum legal age" to purchase alcohol or cigarettes around here. But apparently they have no trouble purchasing whatever their particular drug-of-choice happens to be. I'd be in favor of regulation for that reason alone. But here's another: Most growers I've known wouldn't sell product that they wouldn't consume. But I have read some horror stories. And almost every week, it's like there's another news story about something nasty discovered in one of the food products that companies sell - and that stuff IS regulated to one degree or other. So I find myself wondering, "Just how much worse would the food & beverage industry be if it wasn't regulated?" And there are lots of people using cannabis for medicinal purposes who have depressed immune systems and suchlike, yeah? If it is legal to sell cannabis in an area, those people should have... They ought to be able to have a reasonable expectation of getting clean / unadulterated / no viable spores / no pesticides / et cetera meds.

As for regulating what a person chooses to grow for their own use, in their own home? F*ck that! I favor the attitude that Alaskans had as far back as the '70s: Dear Government, stay the <BLEEP> out of our business and our homes!!!

Already huge shortages of legal pot everywhere. Bet they wish they hadn't got rid of the black market so soon. ;)

Lol. You don't "get rid" of a black market industry. That only happens if/when the people involved in it can no longer compete with the legal alternative. It's not like the "darker" side of things is regulated (that's why they call it the black market :rolleyes: ).

Gotta remember that Quebec is a country unto itself and not like most of the rest of Canada.

As a non-citizen, I admit to being ignorant of 99.999+% of what goes on up there. But I have found myself wondering why the rest of Canada hasn't tried to make a deal with the United States to swap Quebec for a few states that don't really fit in with the prevailing "instant-gratification @ssholeness" attitude that seems to be the New "American" Way down here. New Hampshire, Maine, maybe Michigan. People I've met from those states seem a lot more "Canadian" than the average US citizen.

Have to quit speaking French, though, and learn to speak Spanish like the rest of the recent entrants.

Donald Trump is getting ready to, not legalize at the federal level, but basically, relax the laws, and leave it up to each state to pass their own laws, from what I read.

Yeah, he'll do something good if and when he needs something to shift publicity away from the most recent time he becomes involved in a scandal or gets caught wiping his arse with the U.S. Constitution and it finally threatens to actually get him in trouble.

So... Flip a coin, I suppose?

I live in Quebec and I was just raided for 6 plants and a few OZs of dry flower in jars. I even have a medical prescription for 7g a day and even that didn't stop them from taking everything I had and leaving me with nothing but a court date.

And so my battle starts...

Oh, man, that's rough. I hope you manage to come out of it with your freedom (and, with luck, a little more than that).

Seven grams per day... 49 grams per week. Figuring nine weeks in flower and four weeks vegetative growth phase (which is conservative for a lot of people / setups /strains), that means you'd go through... 22¾ ounces from harvest to harvest - and that's assuming you begin the next round a day after harvest (and that your buds become magically dry and cured as you snip them off the branches).

And they confiscated "a few" ounces?! Huh... I guess I'm preaching to the choir, but down here they're not supposed to take people's medicine if the person is in prison, FFS. And I was assuming that, since the Canadian government is selling the stuff (isn't it?), and that the same government considers it to be your medicine, well... What the f*ck?

The above is, IMHO, how possession limits ought to be calculated for medicinal-use folks. How much is approved per day x how many days it takes to go from harvest to harvest (but I'd add a reasonable amount to cover the time between harvest and it actually being ready to start using).

I live in Quebec and I was just raided for 6 plants and a few OZs of dry flower in jars. I even have a medical prescription for 7g a day and even that didn't stop them from taking everything I had and leaving me with nothing but a court date. And so my battle starts...

Bummer. Good luck.

Oh up here its just a fine for plants. Its also a fine for having weed not inside a Quebec sold container from their own store. Since they are the only ones allowed to sell it yet they never have any lol. Website has been sold out since day 1.

They literally had over 20 police officers over here in my apartment, it took them 7 hours to dismantle my setup and take it all away. They even took my damn E-nail thinking I was using this to make rosin.... They don't even have a fucking clue what they are looking for or what anything is and they are in charge of busting people? lol.

They actually tried to tell me the only reason anyone would have a box of nitrile gloves is to sell weed....

Are the courts pretty choked up there, or do people routinely just pay the fine(s) and move on?

I was actually the first one they went for in this town haha. They just started this task force to search for illegal weed. Basically its being pushed 10x harder than when it was illegal. My court date is in Jan so not sure if its the holidays or just normal time. They move really fucking slow with everything here anyways.

Back
Top Bottom