Seriously - What's the best LED setup?

Were they doing anything with sulfur plasma lighting when you were there?

Contain no mercury and are (pardon the pun) Hella bright, so bright that big buildings will run one and distribute the output via LONG light pipes. I haven't read anything here about the technology in seven or eight years.

That thing appears to be professionally built, while still managing to look homemade, lol. What's with the threaded... rods(?)? Is the arc adjustable for some purpose? Regardless, it looks cool.

The arc gap width has been set to the best output while taking into account the burn back of the cathode over tip. I had to build a vision system that measured that gap before they sealed the lamp

I dont lnow anything about plasma lights. Sounds crazy.

I briefly glanced at an article the other day that listed lots of different lighting technologies. Some of them seemed a little out there, lol, and I have seen no mention of such things in relation to grow lights. Gee, I wonder if they'd appreciate an inquiry about sponsoring our favorite forum, heh?

The screwy looking things behind the anode and cathode are wires made from Tantalum.

I figured that out on the eighth or ninth viewing (really poor vision).

Theres no way to make it perfectly clean.

Manufacture it in space, outside of spacecraft and at a good distance from any significant mass, and you could come pretty close, lol. There are only, what, three or four hydrogen atoms per cubic meter or something like that? And a person only has enough mass to cause things weighing about what a hydrogen atom does to orbit about him/herself, so you wouldn't pick up much in the way of contaminants.

Write NASA with a proposal, then start punching out grant applications. Stranger things have happened (and such a trip would be nearly priceless, even if you didn't actually get to leave orbit).

I briefly glanced at an article the other day that listed lots of different lighting technologies. Some of them seemed a little out there, lol, and I have seen no mention of such things in relation to grow lights. Gee, I wonder if they'd appreciate an inquiry about sponsoring our favorite forum, heh?

I figured that out on the eighth or ninth viewing (really poor vision).

Manufacture it in space, outside of spacecraft and at a good distance from any significant mass, and you could come pretty close, lol. There are only, what, three or four hydrogen atoms per cubic meter or something like that? And a person only has enough mass to cause things weighing about what a hydrogen atom does to orbit about him/herself, so you wouldn't pick up much in the way of contaminants.

Write NASA with a proposal, then start punching out grant applications. Stranger things have happened (and such a trip would be nearly priceless, even if you didn't actually get to leave orbit).

Dude you know your stuff!! We regularly used high vacuum to clean various pieces. Vacuum furnaces were also very popular. I ran an experiment using a bell jar and high vacuum to heat Tungsten to almost 5500F. That was a crazy experiment. The light that came from the Tungsten was truly amazing. I lost vacuum once and destroyed a $16000 turbine vacuum pump once. The bell jar base wasnt flat enough and an oring failed. So funny you picked up on the vacuum. Its rare for someone to put that together.

I know very little (and less every day). But thank you for the kind words. I've just read a lot since I was almost four. And a couple of brain cells still function. But this LED stuff still confuses me. Admittedly, most of that is because half the stuff out there is published by half-@sed LED product sellers, and I haven't read enough of the other half. But I'm slowly trying to pick it up, here and there.

LOL at work destruction. The most I ever did was take out a $3,000 garage door (with a $35,000 car). Car was fine. Sort of. Certainly wasn't $16K worth of damage. I'd have had to go TWO years without a raise over something like that ;) .

Back in the day, high school science teachers would approve most any kind of experiment that didn't completely break the law of common sense. Now days, I am surprised that they still teach such subjects. Someone might stub their toe. Or... you know... learn something.

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled LED discussion. . . .

Isn't "white" light the same? Made up of a combination of other colors, I mean? If so, HtH do they produce it with a mono LED?

Yes, but white light is usually a set Kelvin termperature which emits a wide range of lightwaves which appears white to the human eye.
To get the purple you have ie. a diode that's 465-485nm (blue) and one that's 650-670nm (red).
Remember that the human eye is most sensitive in the green and yellow spectrums, so what ratio you need to get a perfect purple in your pimped hot tub I wouldn't know :)
But I know cannabis likes to eat photons and a lot of them, so first get your entire canopy to 1000 PPFD, and then start tweaking with some extra signalling wavelengths ;)

Yes, but white light is usually a set Kelvin termperature which emits a wide range of lightwaves which appears white to the human eye.
To get the purple you have ie. a diode that's 465-485nm (blue) and one that's 650-670nm (red).

Right, but I mean how do they make a "white" LED, then? I know they aren't actually heating something up to that "color" temperature, lol. I know because I just touched a white-light COB and didn't vaporize my finger clear down to the ankles. The whole "color temperature" thing is just a reference to what temperature a black body would have to be to emit a certain color of light. Right? Ya. So blurple I mean purple has to be made up of blue and red lights. Because there's no "purple" light. Gotcha. But there's no "white," either - it is made up of all the colors that my $2 prism splits it back into when I hold it up to an open window. (As evidenced by the fact that if you remove one of those colors from that light, you just changed its color.) So, again, what's the difference, in technical terms?

I know very little (and less every day). But thank you for the kind words. I've just read a lot since I was almost four. And a couple of brain cells still function. But this LED stuff still confuses me. Admittedly, most of that is because half the stuff out there is published by half-@sed LED product sellers, and I haven't read enough of the other half. But I'm slowly trying to pick it up, here and there.

LOL at work destruction. The most I ever did was take out a $3,000 garage door (with a $35,000 car). Car was fine. Sort of. Certainly wasn't $16K worth of damage. I'd have had to go TWO years without a raise over something like that ;) .

Back in the day, high school science teachers would approve most any kind of experiment that didn't completely break the law of common sense. Now days, I am surprised that they still teach such subjects. Someone might stub their toe. Or... you know... learn something.

We now return you to your regularly-scheduled LED discussion. . . .

Your absolutely right about LED BS. They definately arent doing anyone any favors. Seems to me the better the light the less they need to embellish.

Yeah, that was a bad day. It wasnt my fault, but it took the wind out of that experiment thats for sure

I think its funny how some white light LED users have turned into the HPS users from 3-4 years ago. Disregadimg anything that isnt like theirs. Oops, there i go again

Got my qb288's and whipped together this aluminum frame finally. Now time to focus in soil. This is my 1st grow so I'm learning and collecting equipment step by step. These pics do absolutely no justice as to how bright these are.

Damn dude. Hell of a start... good job

Right, but I mean how do they make a "white" LED, then? I know they aren't actually heating something up to that "color" temperature, lol. I know because I just touched a white-light COB and didn't vaporize my finger clear down to the ankles. The whole "color temperature" thing is just a reference to what temperature a black body would have to be to emit a certain color of light. Right? Ya. So blurple I mean purple has to be made up of blue and red lights. Because there's no "purple" light. Gotcha. But there's no "white," either - it is made up of all the colors that my $2 prism splits it back into when I hold it up to an open window. (As evidenced by the fact that if you remove one of those colors from that light, you just changed its color.) So, again, what's the difference, in technical terms?

With mono LED it's the semi-conductor's band gap (not sure if that's the English term) that decides the wavelength emitted.

With white light LEDs it's a (typically blue) diode with phosphor coating that diffuses some of the blue into other wavelenghts.

See page 20-21 of this datasheet for charts of the spectral blend of the different CCT Samsung LM561C diodes.
Building your best space | Samsung Business CA

Got my qb288's and whipped together this aluminum frame finally. Now time to focus in soil. This is my 1st grow so I'm learning and collecting equipment step by step. These pics do absolutely no justice as to how bright these are.

Hope you got sunglasses with those ;)

Are you planning on adding something since you build that giant frame?

man, these Luminus cobs are kickin ass. Just added a Fusion board for the small 4 in line.
These are 36 days old from seed, 12/12, and they are building nice buds. Im only using 200watts from the cobs. The tallest is 29inches tall, 20 inches from light. the fusion board is 50watts, driver max, but i think it can go as high has a qb288 if im not mistaken. Getting 350 par at 16inchs, great for what im using it for.

I'm not sure what the red and blue comment meant...

I don't have a problem with HID. I've used it and i just dont think its for me but it's clear you can grow outstanding pot with them. That's
the bottom line

I have a light like your cobs. It's
a Spectrum King 400. A white light with the diodes arranged on a round wafer. The design is cool. It sits on a massive heatsink and has no fan. The plants just never seem to get out of second gear. I truly believe it's missing something in the spectrum.

Interesting how your plants are leaning towards the light center. This means there is very little UMOL output at the fringes of your grow tent.

TTKlaus

Interesting how your plants are leaning towards the light center. This means there is very little UMOL output at the fringes of your grow tent.

TTKlaus

Actually not at all. I trained them that way i wanted to see if i coukd get the tops to wind up under the CMH. I decided to shut it down because of the size of the plants. You may be able to see where the plants came from far lefy and far right

Actually not at all. I trained them that way i wanted to see if i coukd get the tops to wind up under the CMH. I decided to shut it down because of the size of the plants. You may be able to see where the plants came from far lefy and far right

Sorry, i thought you meant the plants in my hydro rig, my mistake.

The light in the tent is a piece of crap Spectrum King. Ive said that i hate that light more than once. Its beamy and has no footprint. Neither plant did well so your absolutely right

Back
Top Bottom