Shaggy's Quick Start Newbie Perpetual Grow With MarsHydro LED & Clones!

I learned an important lesson today. :helpsmilie:

Summer heat + 2 LED 317W Lamps = OVEN! :yikes:

I need to beat the heat for my tent. While I could move the tent into the house and borrow BTUs from my big AC, I prefer to leave my rig in my handy dandy 10x10 shed. Today I ordered a Whynter 8,000 BTU Portable Air Conditioner for $220 and will use it to cool the shed that my tents are in. The room will be a closed system with the exception of the AC pushing out hot air, that way I should be able to avoid having to add supplemental CO2.

Here's what my filter and lights look like now.
20160725_142506.jpg

The plants are holding on with a single LED until my AC arrives on Friday.
I'll update this thread when I have the temperature situation under control then.

So does anyone here have any suggestions other than what I'm doing? Thanks! :helpsmilie:

Excellent ideas McGert!

1. Move the light time to night time!
My first thought was also to switch the light time to night time. Unfortunately the math doesn't work as the outdoor temperature drop is not enough to offset the high tent temperature. Half way maybe but definately not all the way.

2. Add a lotta fans on the LED's!
Adding extra fans is such a great idea I did it a few weeks ago! That did buy me more than 10 degrees but even with an air input fan on the tent, I'm still a slave to the ambient air temperature of the room the tent is in. I even made sure my input was low and output high with minimal duct distance for efficiency. Summer heat = warm shed, even in Seattle.

Alas, at least I have lots of power so the AC hammer should bring it down nicely, hopefully. :high-five:

Do you own the house shaggy? If so, my recommendation is build a trellis that fits over your shed and plant something like jasmine on it. Great smell when it blooms and the temperature of your shed will drop significantly. It'll help to have the trellis even without the green cover, but that green cover would make a world of difference.

I don't see many similarities between our grows, since I took the 4x4 down, but I gotta give you reps for enticing me so effectively. :laughtwo: well done. :high-five:

Your tents only 6' high. Your light will eventually have to be all the way up to as high as you can get it. You'd also be well advised to train them low in the early stages to minimize stretch in flower. I made the mistake of not doing that with my tents (they stand 5.5' high) and I bleached the crop something fierce.

You have a sweet set-up going here. Sorry the bikini bud tender's no longer a part of your world, but how sweet of her to gift you with clones.

The state of Washington is......... Do we even have a word adequate for the insanity that occurred there? I think not. I'm glad you got inspired and started to grow your own. We should all grow our own. If we all did, how could they ever stop us? This is our proud form of civil disobienience, because some laws are beyond reason.

SweetSue you are wise beyond your years. :love: My secret plan is to bring my two tents, 4x4 and 2x2 online and achieve perpetual within my handy 10x10 shed with lotsa power. My Double Secret Probation Plan is to keep my perpetual shed running until I can trellis the shaggyshed or trellis over my enclosed back porch and build a better grow area. Using a jasmine grow around the trellis is brilliant, I'll have to update you once I build it. :thanks:

Today the two tents in my 10x10 shed look like this.

20160725_142544.jpg

So once I get my temperature problem fixed I'll look a LOT more like your stealth masterpiece! Hopefully. :love: :thanks:

Hey Shaggy - subbed in. Want to see how you do with your tent... considering getting one, but I don't know if I'll need the same size or bigger. Your plants are looking great ! :goodjob:

Hi WillysMom! (cool name) I am, if nothing else, a good example of an entertaining train-wreck since I'm starting with no knowledge whatsoever and have to figure out how to grow, WHILE I GROW, Yikes! :thedoubletake: At least this groovy gig is legal here in WA, (yes, I filled out all the paperwork, law and order only in these parts ma'am).

Two (possibly three?) tents were mandatory for going perpetual.
The size of the tents was based on how many plants I started with and the need to go perpetual.

Beyond that I humbly invite you to watch me crash-and-burn and then try again! :thumb:

Hi WillysMom! (cool name) I am, if nothing else, a good example of an entertaining train-wreck since I'm starting with no knowledge whatsoever and have to figure out how to grow, WHILE I GROW, Yikes! :thedoubletake: At least this groovy gig is legal here in WA, (yes, I filled out all the paperwork, law and order only in these parts ma'am).

Two (possibly three?) tents were mandatory for going perpetual.
The size of the tents was based on how many plants I started with and the need to go perpetual.

Beyond that I humbly invite you to watch me crash-and-burn and then try again! :thumb:

Thanks! Looks like you've got it going. I have faith that you won't crash and burn...your set up looks great and you are thinking ahead!

Day 36, How many mistakes can one guy make??

Time to review my three most recent rookie mistakes. :morenutes:

First, never let your plants temperature stay above 94F (35C) for very long. They hate it.
Temperature range for comfort is 70-85F and a drop to 65 at night. 59-91F is survivable.
With a little help from a portable air conditioner outside the tent, now we're happy.

Second, never let your plants humidity remain too dry for too long, acceptable range: 40-70%.
With a little help from some little humidifiers, now we're happy.

Third, everyone says over-watering is the biggest newbie mistake, well under-watering is not helpful either. :smokin:

With a more measured watering schedule, now we're happy.

20160806_093655.jpg

Oh, and yea I noticed the brown spots on the leaves. We have a boron deficiency!

Note: Sometimes a cannabis boron deficiency (like all deficiencies) can be triggered by stressful conditions and may clear up on its own after the period of stress is over.
1.) Use Good Sources of Nutrients
2.) Adjust pH to Correct Range
But the reason most growers see boron deficiencies is because boron is best absorbed at lower pH ranges. When the pH gets too high, your plant may exhibit signs of a boron deficiency even if it's physically there near the roots.
Learn how to manage your pH when growing cannabis.

In soil, boron is best absorbed by the roots in the 6.0 - 6.5 pH range (in soil, it's generally recommended to keep the pH between 6.0 - 7.0, but boron specifically tends to be best absorbed below 6.5).
3.) Give Plants Enough Moisture
Boron is not absorbed well if there isn't enough moisture, for example if plant is underwatered or humidity is very low (below 25% relative humidity in the air).

Bottom line, fix temperature, fix humidity, and use tap water in clean bottles allowed to sit in the tent for a day or two to balance PH.
Here are some pics to show off my 7 sisters under two LED lights (317Wx2=634W!)
Notice how I use the screen window on the side of the Apollo tent for air input, the room is clean and temperature controlled so hopefully that will work ok.

20160806_093545.jpg

Slow and steady friends, Next up I get to learn how to Top then Crop! Thanks youtube friends! :thanks:

Hey, what's that little mushroom thing in the middle of your tent ?
There are two small inexpensive humidifiers in that tent, the white ball and the mushroom. The mushroom is the cheapest humidifier on amazon. They use almost no power and bought me nearly 8 percent more humidity. :)

First, never let your plants temperature stay above 94F (35C) for very long. They hate it.
Temperature range for comfort is 70-85F and a drop to 65 at night. 59-91F is survivable.
With a little help from a portable air conditioner outside the tent, now we're happy.

Second, never let your plants humidity remain too dry for too long, acceptable range: 40-70%.

Third, everyone says over-watering is the biggest newbie mistake, well under-watering is not helpful either. :smokin:

20160806_093655.jpg

Oh, and yea I noticed the brown spots on the leaves. We have a boron deficiency!

Note: Sometimes a cannabis boron deficiency (like all deficiencies) can be triggered by stressful conditions and may clear up on its own after the period of stress is over.
But the reason most growers see boron deficiencies is because boron is best absorbed at lower pH ranges. When the pH gets too high, your plant may exhibit signs of a boron deficiency even if it's physically there near the roots.

In soil, boron is best absorbed by the roots in the 6.0 - 6.5 pH range (in soil, it's generally recommended to keep the pH between 6.0 - 7.0, but boron specifically tends to be best absorbed below 6.5).
Boron is not absorbed well if there isn't enough moisture, for example if plant is underwatered or humidity is very low (below 25% relative humidity in the air).

Bottom line, fix temperature, fix humidity, and use tap water in clean bottles allowed to sit in the tent for a day or two to balance PH.
Notice how I use the screen window on the side of the Apollo tent for air input, the room is clean and temperature controlled so hopefully that will work ok.

20160806_093545.jpg

Slow and steady friends, Next up I get to learn how to Top then Crop! Thanks youtube friends! :thanks:

Sent from my SM-N910V using 420 Magazine Mobile App

There are two small inexpensive humidifiers in that tent, the white ball and the mushroom. The mushroom is the cheapest humidifier on amazon. They use almost no power and bought me nearly 8 percent more humidity. :)

Sent from my SM-N910V using 420 Magazine Mobile App

That's awesome! I'll have to keep that in mind if I have low humidity issues. When I get tents and lights up, we'll have almost the same set up... :high-five:

Quick update as my notes are on a clipboard and 420 Magazine photo upload is flaky this afternoon. My 7 plants are still in veg nearing week seven, will probably shift to flower in week 8 after taking a few clones for good measure. Here's the pic of the tent I managed to upload.

20160824_103759.jpg

At least I survived Hempfest 2016 (nice glass!) and the great Seattle heat wave of 2016 (now have total climate control, woohoo!). :thumb:

:thanks:

Thanks all, I've gone off-grid with my grow and won't update this thread as the 420 server doesn't like my photos.
tent-no-update.png

Thank you all for the assistance. My newbie perpetual is 80% functional.
I could not have built a working perpetual grow without you!
:thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks:

I agree with you.:high-five:

20160806_093655.jpg

20160806_093545.jpg

Back
Top Bottom