Slowed down growth, yellow spots and root growth

teuvin

420 Member
Hey guys, I've been growing this sour diesel for 6 weeks or so now, it has been doing splendid, until the last week, I noticed the main stem is slowing it's growth A LOT, it's been a week and it still hasn't developed it's new "layer", which before were taking like 3/4 days. The leaves are also looking a bit frowned and it isn't because of overwatering, they looked like this before I watered them.

My PH meter isn't that good and I might have not been waiting for the PH to settle down after using the PH down solution, as soon as it hit 6.5 I went to water it

I've been using some sketchy nutrition boost I never used in the past, could this be the cause? I stopped using it and only clean watered once (yesterday) in hopes of flushing it.

Please help, she's my baby girl, can I still save her? 😔

Here's how it looks:

This is the main stem
20230716_081344.jpg

Some of the leaves have yellow spots on them
20230716_081338.jpg

They look so frowny 😭😭
20230716_081340.jpg

Also I noticed this is what the bottom of the pot looks like, I'm using a 11 liters pot, and I found it weird, because in the past I grew an Afghan Kush in a 7 liters pot and it never looked like this, should I repot it in a 20 liters one?
20230716_081531.jpg

Your color looks pretty good, but those spots could be a calcium ask.

What type of media do you grow in? You're 'sketchy' nutrition booster could certainly be the cause. Is it made for canna specifically? Our favorite plant generally needs higher levels of nutrients in fairly specific quantities and relationships so it could be that your stuff is low in cal/Mag, or too high in something which is locking something else out.

So, more info on your setup will be helpful for the 'brain trust' to help you get it sorted.

does look like both ph and calmag could be a little off.

what's the nute plan for the plant and what are you feeding ?

if you're gonna flush to rebalance nutes, put 3 times the volume of the pot full of water through the plant then rebalance the nutes and refeed within 24 hrs.

if you're depending on a nuted soil and it's a water only grow, then all a flush will do is remove the nutes leaving the plant to starve.

Your color looks pretty good, but those spots could be a calcium ask.

What type of media do you grow in? You're 'sketchy' nutrition booster could certainly be the cause. Is it made for canna specifically? Our favorite plant generally needs higher levels of nutrients in fairly specific quantities and relationships so it could be that your stuff is low in cal/Mag, or too high in something which is locking something else out.

So, more info on your setup will be helpful for the 'brain trust' to help you get it sorted.
Hey!
Here's the description of the soil I bought (please mind I translated these from portuguese so it might have some mistakes):
  • Humus
  • Bonemeal
  • Bat guano
  • Vermiculite
  • Azomite
  • Acadian
  • neen
  • pearlite
  • peat
  • mycorrhiza
The soil was made for canna specifically and the nutrients too, however they were in liquid form which I never used before, so I might have not applied it correctly? Sadly I already threw the package away :(

And I already bought the usual one I use that worked fine for my afghan kush, NPK: 24 – 6 – 12:

1689520392183.png

Do you think the yellow spots could be thrips? I do see some flies flying around, just in case I ordered some neem oil and sterilized the greenhouse

if you're gonna flush to rebalance nutes, put 3 times the volume of the pot full of water through the plant then rebalance the nutes and refeed within 24 hrs.

if you're depending on a nuted soil and it's a water only grow, then all a flush will do is remove the nutes leaving the plant to starve.
Do you think I should flush? I didn't flush yet, last time I watered was yesterday and I did only 2 liters of water, but I should wait for the new nutrition booster to come in first, right

That damage looks more like a nute issue than thrips, and I'm somewhat an expert on thrips. :rolleyes:

Thrips damage will look like tiny white specs that start to merge together into sprays of white on the leaf.

If you have flying insects, those might be fungus gnats which like a wetter soil so letting the pots dry out properly can help with that.

not sure what to tell you. you've got an organic soil approach but your nutes are salt based. normally those two don't go together.

I see, didn't know that, what exactly would be the best boosters for organic soil?

i would go with one system or another and keep it all the same for simplicity. you can use non-organic nutes in organic soil, but you're kinda fighting yourself.

there isn't an answer without knowing what cannabis specific nutes are available to you. at some point in the grow the soil in that container will probably be depleted of nutes, at which point you'd need to hand off to a bottle nute.

at present i'd lean to maybe something like prescription blend, which is a top dress dry nute that gets watered in, and won't interfere with the organics.

at present i'd lean to maybe something like prescription blend, which is a top dress dry nute that gets watered in, and won't interfere with the organics.
That, or Geoflora which is an organic fert that is a simple top dress once every two weeks. Doesn't get much easier than that.

And i think Prescription Blend is a series of liquids that get mixed in various amounts.

That, or Geoflora which is an organic fert that is a simple top dress once every two weeks. Doesn't get much easier than that.

And i think Prescription Blend is a series of liquids that get mixed in various amounts.

i probably was thinking of the geo. if geo is the top dress that's what i'd go with. a lot of organic soil growers also use mega crop if they need to supplement nutes in. it's not organic but at least it won't interfere.

figuring out the dosage for any of them is not going to be straight forward though. the nute he has now is way too heavy in n.

I'm not ready to go down the nutrient path yet, at least until I read what sketchy nutrients consist of. I am still on watering. It is very common to think that one's self is not an overwaterer, and you might be underwatering in your attempts to not overwater. Your droopy plants look overwatered to me, and by that I mean watered too often. How often do you water? What tells you that they need water? How much water do you give when you do water? Let's please resolve this first fundamental issue before we debate which nutrient systems are the best.

Thanks for all the help guys, I'll look more into it, I had no ideia of this organic/non-organic stuff, even for organic soil should I use it in the same frequency as non-organic ones? Is there a way for me to know when I need to use the "boosters"?

I'm not ready to go down the nutrient path yet, at least until I read what sketchy nutrients consist of. I am still on watering. It is very common to think that one's self is not an overwaterer, and you might be underwatering in your attempts to not overwater. Your droopy plants look overwatered to me, and by that I mean watered too often. How often do you water? What tells you that they need water? How much water do you give when you do water? Let's please resolve this first fundamental issue before we debate which nutrient systems are the best.
I water them with 1 liter of water usually, only this time I did 2. I stick my finger until the second line and then check if it's moist or dry, which is usually 4-5 days between waterings.
I can leave it more days this time tho, just to see if I'm not overwatering

Also, do y'all think I should repot it? Given the roots at the bottom? I leave a plate under it at all times even after I water it, maybe it's just that?
1689526953049.png

Thanks for all the help guys, I'll look more into it, I had no ideia of this organic/non-organic stuff, even for organic soil should I use it in the same frequency as non-organic ones? Is there a way for me to know when I need to use the "boosters"?

I water them with 1 liter of water usually, only this time I did 2. I stick my finger until the second line and then check if it's moist or dry, which is usually 4-5 days between waterings.
I can leave it more days this time tho, just to see if I'm not overwatering

Also, do y'all think I should repot it? Given the roots at the bottom? I leave a plate under it at all times even after I water it, maybe it's just that?
1689526953049.png
You have confirmed what I suspected that I saw in your roots and your plants above. You are both an under-waterer and an over-waterer because you water before they are ready. Please read my post on how to properly water this weed, because I believe the wet/dry concepts that I teach there will help you quite a bit. Please don't be discouraged, this is a plant unlike anything you have grown before. It is a weed, and it thrives on struggling, rather than being pampered and the proper watering method is a bit counterintuitive. You have to learn how to be more stingy with that water and how to use it to tease out new root growth. Please enjoy this link... over a million eyes have seen it so far. Please read all the way to the end and you will see how I learned to change my watering method when switching to bloom. My system comes down to this, tease out new roots while in veg, and use those roots while in bloom.

The Proper Way to Water a Potted Plant In Soil

You have confirmed what I suspected that I saw in your roots and your plants above. You are both an under-waterer and an over-waterer because you water before they are ready. Please read my post on how to properly water this weed, because I believe the wet/dry concepts that I teach there will help you quite a bit. Please don't be discouraged, this is a plant unlike anything you have grown before. It is a weed, and it thrives on struggling, rather than being pampered and the proper watering method is a bit counterintuitive. You have to learn how to be more stingy with that water and how to use it to tease out new root growth. Please enjoy this link... over a million eyes have seen it so far. Please read all the way to the end and you will see how I learned to change my watering method when switching to bloom. My system comes down to this, tease out new roots while in veg, and use those roots while in bloom.

The Proper Way to Water a Potted Plant In Soil

Here is exactly what I wrote this morning at 8 am but forgot to hit post:

“Medium
Nutrient/Feeding regimen
Watering technique (how often, how much)
Environment (light type, temps, rh)

Will need that information just to get started. I see over watering and calcium personally. The “deficiencies” are likely directly related to incorrect watering practices. I know Op says they’re not overwatering but so does almost every other new grower and it turns out they’re in fact over watering. I know this because I also was positive I wasn’t overwatering, but I was.”

I post this to say I concur 🤣

Overwatering doesn’t mean you’re watering too much at one time. It means you’re watering too often. You can underwater and overwater at the same time by never allowing the medium to dry completely before watering again, and when you water again, you don’t water enough to completely saturate the medium.

Hey guys, I watered it following @Emilya Green instructions on her post, howver they are still looking a bit down, Im starting to worry it might be root rot? Some of the leaved are curled and have white spots on them, and I just removed one fan leave that had brown spots

1000047466.jpg

1000047467.jpg

1000047468.jpg

One leaf detached from the plant tells us very little about what is happening. If you had root rot however, you would know that something was very very wrong. This is not that.

It generally takes 3 wet/dry cycles to make changes to the plant. Be patient and keep watering properly... she will come around. Until your leaves are all pointing up at the light, consider this plant still in ICU.

Back
Top Bottom