Small Black Spots

Young Yoda

Hi!

Here's a ton of info, or just skip to the photos:

I have one unknown plant in the veg stage. It is an indoor plant grown in soil, currently in a 2 gal pot, slightly over one month old. The soil includes sphagnum, vermiculite, and perlite. There was also a solid veg nutrient mix which I bought in a sampler off ebay. The following is the info on the dry mix (added to soil during first transplant):
30% Miracle-Grow Organic Choice Blood Meal (12-0- 0)
20% Roots Organic Super Nitro Bat Guano (15.5 -1-1)
20% Sunleaves Peruvian Seabird Guano (12 -11-2)
10% FoxFarms Happy Frog Tomato & Vegetable Fertilizer (7-4-5)
10% Jobes Organics All-Purpose (4-4-4)
5% Bone Char -- Charcoal Green (.52-16-.06)
5% Organic Banana Skin Ash (0-3.25-41.76)

No liquid nutes for about two weeks, currently at full strength with age old grow and protekt (15ml grow and 2.3ml protekt per gallon). This was started under CFL but moved under an LED about a week and a half ago. This was the same I left town and had to leave it with a friend. During that time the plant exploded (I would say thanks to my heavy grooming ;) in addition to the LED light). Since my friend didn't do any grooming or anything, I came back to a super bushy plant with some dying growth in the center. I set about removing dead leaves and supercropping all the big stems away from the center. Here is one fan leaf from which I had to remove like 5 totally dead blades.

photo_3418.JPG

I am hoping this is just a lack of light?

However these are what I'm really wondering about:

photo_2_1_49.JPG

photo_1_1_51.JPG

What's wrong?? :(

Thanks for reading and for your two cents.
:Namaste:

Hello Young Yoda. That looks like a Calcium deficiency from here, especially considering that under LED plants will need a CalMag supplement. If you could add some CalMag into your feed it should straighten out soon enough. I hope this helps, all the best and happy growing :thumb:

*edit* You may also want to watch your Nitrogen there too as you look like you're getting signs of Nitrogen toxicity with the dark green leaves that are clawing. That in itself will cause problems (I've had this problem myself) such as nutrient lockout. I'm not sure how one goes about flushing organic soil so that would be best left to an expert, just a heads up. Have a read through the journals on here, specifically organic and LED grows and you'll find the advice that you need ;)

Hello Young Yoda. That looks like a Calcium deficiency from here, especially considering that under LED plants will need a CalMag supplement. If you could add some CalMag into your feed it should straighten out soon enough. I hope this helps, all the best and happy growing :thumb:

*edit* You may also want to watch your Nitrogen there too as you look like you're getting signs of Nitrogen toxicity with the dark green leaves that are clawing. That in itself will cause problems (I've had this problem myself) such as nutrient lockout. I'm not sure how one goes about flushing organic soil so that would be best left to an expert, just a heads up. Have a read through the journals on here, specifically organic and LED grows and you'll find the advice that you need ;)

Thank you kindly, I do suppose I haven't done enough research on LEDs..
Just to be clear the signs of calcium deficiency are the spots? And the leaf mottling is consistent with light deprivation?

you da best :thanks:

I'm far from being an expert but the mottling looks like the Calcium deficiency in pic 3. Pic 2 looks like Nitrogen toxicity (down turned clawing tips) and Pic 1 actually looks to me like either the onset of a Potassium deficiency. I'm guessing that your PH levels are correct? 6.5 for Soil is what you're looking for. Hopefully someone can interject if I'm giving you any bad information here but as far as my (limited) experience is concerned those would be the three things that I'd be looking at, or 4 things if you include the PH levels. All the best :thumb:

I'm far from being an expert but the mottling looks like the Calcium deficiency in pic 3. Pic 2 looks like Nitrogen toxicity (down turned clawing tips) and Pic 1 actually looks to me like either the onset of a Potassium deficiency. I'm guessing that your PH levels are correct? 6.5 for Soil is what you're looking for. Hopefully someone can interject if I'm giving you any bad information here but as far as my (limited) experience is concerned those would be the three things that I'd be looking at, or 4 things if you include the PH levels. All the best :thumb:

I was hesitant to reply to this thread because a calcium deficiency and a nitrogen burn sounds weird, but it definitely can happen and I'd have to agree with everything Kriaze has said so far. Although I think the molting is due to either phos deficiency or that leaf was not getting enough light. EITHER way, I'd say the same thing: Bump the cal/mag and drop the PPM a bit and keep your pH in line and hopefully she will start coming back.

I'm far from being an expert but the mottling looks like the Calcium deficiency in pic 3. Pic 2 looks like Nitrogen toxicity (down turned clawing tips) and Pic 1 actually looks to me like either the onset of a Potassium deficiency.

Sorry now that i've actually looked up what mottling (spotting) means I guess I should have should said browning/withering lol. Or maybe molting is the right word. Whatever, I just hope it is only light deprivation and not another deficiency.

I was hesitant to reply to this thread because a calcium deficiency and a nitrogen burn sounds weird, but it definitely can happen and I'd have to agree with everything Kriaze has said so far. Although I think the molting is due to either phos deficiency or that leaf was not getting enough light. EITHER way, I'd say the same thing: Bump the cal/mag and drop the PPM a bit and keep your pH in line and hopefully she will start coming back.

I wasn't sure about the calcium def because the pics i've seen didn't tend to have straight black spots, but glad you both agree, I will treat it as such.

As for the N burn I am not yet convinced. That leaf actually curled like that because the very tip is really brown and dried, most of the dark green leaves are not showing the claw. That being said I plan on putting off nutes for an extra watering and watering with plenty of runoff. Hopefully my tap water is better than my friends for calcium, since I don't have cal-mag yet, but its on the way

Thank you both!!

I was using the word molt, thinking that was what Kriaze meant. Mottle is a new word for me. Going to have to use that in the next scrabble game.

Well here's a photo of her. I think overall everything is ok, but she seems to be struggling a little bit. The outer limbs are taking longer than I'd expected to turn back upwards, and I am seeing more signs of calcium deficiency. Ill also put in the photos of a leaf which I think is showing magnesium deficiency?

photo_5221.JPG

photo_2_2_44.JPG

photo_4329.JPG

Also, I am asking for help with my nute regimen if you guys have any advice!
Help with my nute regimen please!

Back
Top Bottom