Small spots over leaves?

cmac10

420 Member
Hello everyone! My 3 of my planta have small white spots on the leaves. Trying to figure out if it's a deficiency, or damage from mites or something? Also some of my stems and stocks are turning a radish purple? Any and all info is appreciated. Hope everyones year has been great. Thanks!

0828211445a.jpg

0828211445.jpg

0828211444b.jpg

0828211444a.jpg

0828211444.jpg

0828211443b.jpg

0828211443a.jpg

0828211443.jpg

Look underneath the leaves, looks like either thrips or the dreaded Borg (spider mites). You'll probably see some very small critters, they need to die! The reddish purple can be caused by a lot of things, too much light, lack of nutes, but is often genetic and not a problem. It's hard to diagnose leaf issues, and given the amount of infestation you have, it's doubly hard.

I don’t know about mites (never had ‘em), but I do see a white fly and there might be thrips (the white spots kinda remind me of them). These can be addressed in flower, but I wouldn’t use Neem or Safer’s insecticidal soap. Both of these leave a nasty taste.

I’ve never used it (I use spinosad because I am used to it), but one of our sponsors, SNS has a natural insecticide you might try. Many growers on 420 have reported good results.

Mites or thrips.

There are products out there that use oil, dish soap and water. It works well.
You should go spend $100 on a gallon. Flying Skull, Nuke 'em is good.

OR, put an oz of vegetable oil, a few drops of dish soap and fill with water and SOAK those plants every three days ... for ... ever. Well, not that long, but ... until harvest.

Spray under the leaves good.

After a week of that, use Spinosad (read the label and follow directions carefully).

Also, as long as you're there ... dig down in the soil and pull out a bit of medium and put it in your hand and stare at it. Wait. Look. Hard. Do you see movement? You are looking for root aphids.

While not likely, I'd suggest checking for root aphids.

Look underneath the leaves, looks like either thrips or the dreaded Borg (spider mites). You'll probably see some very small critters, they need to die!
I don't know about the Thrips since I have not had to fight them. The Spider Mites (aka: the dreaded Borg) are an insect I have had to fight off a few times.

I see evidence of a major Mite problem coming any time now. They have started to cover the edges of the leaves with webbing. Without some sort of program to do something about them they will be covering the buds with webs about the time the harvest window is opening.
How would you recommend getting rid of the infestation of mites in flower? Have read neem oil has bad effects on buds?
Neem Oil does not have a bad effect on the buds themselves but some growers claim they can taste it. Other growers have had no problem using a Neem Oil mix up to 2 weeks before harvest.
You should go spend $100 on a gallon. Flying Skull, Nuke 'em is good.
That is a good product for the upcoming battle with the Mites and many other insects. Don't know that a gallon is needed;) but a small bottle of about 16 ounces would be a good way to start. The company claims that the product can be used up to the day before harvest since it appears to be a mixture of citric acids, yeasts and enzymes. Also the label has a double dose mixture for severe infestations. I am pretty sure that sponsors here have similar products so it is worth taking a look.

Research on insect problems on Marijuana plants and read about the spraying schedules other people have used. Many of them involve spraying once a day for 3 to 7 days in a row to break the cycle of mature insects being able to lay eggs.

Whether you spray or not is up to you as the grower. Keep in mind that every one of those damaged leaves is not able to operate at 100% anymore so there is a drop in photosynthesis and the plants ability to properly produce the sugars, etc that it needs. If nothing is done about the insects it can cut into the quality and the weight of final harvest.

I grabbed the second to last photo in the first message and circled some of the serrations on the leaves to show the start of the webbing.

0828211443-aa.jpg

If you got webs
YOU GOT PROBLEMS already.

It's definitely spider mites and you gotta get on em RFN.

Here's my Rx:
Use double dose Nuke em every three days for three treatments (nine days).
Single dose Nuke em after that for at least two weeks.

Watch close. You'll prolly have to use Nuke till harvest, every three days.

How would you recommend getting rid of the infestation of mites in flower? Have read neem oil has bad effects on buds?
I had spider mites.

I used SNS 217 as foliar spray every three days at lights out.

I also started SNS 209 soil drench with every watering. I discontinued the spray because they are all gone and eggs are dead.

Try not spray flowers directly if you can, although I got some on them with no adverse effect.

Both products are completely safe up to harvest, and did not affect taste.

Worth the price.
I now use 209 as prevention on all my plants.

Death to the Borg!

Thrips + white flies + Spider mites + Leaf miners + Aphids + aphid larvae. I thought I saw some mold in the flower there too.

Oooooo wee... I'm getting itchy.

Best thing to do is get some wetable sulfur spray 2 tbs per gal. Might have to do that a few days in a row just to clear things up.

Bonide - BND 1428 is what I use.

Back
Top Bottom