Smart pot Aeration containers test

Very Nice experiment Bro! The Concept is simple and Logical for sure!

Seems I have found my new Containers, as they would provide much more Soil Area in the Limited STG Chamber. I like soil based grow for the Earthy-ness!

Is it a General concensus that a 1 Gallon container is Adaquite for a Single Plant?

STG

Depends on the size you want to grow as well as the medium.

Well The Maturing Plant I have now is in a 2.25 gallon Plastic container, and she is only 6" tall, If this size plant doesn't need that much it would be easier to fit more in for Male/Female selection.

Old_Girl_11-15-09_2369c.jpg

STG

Wondering if you could not build a Forced Air arrangement like an old "Air Hockey" table where small holes in the table forces air thru and around the Aeration Containers? May have to increase water to keep from drying out!

I could reverse polarity on my current exhaust fan make a Air bed out of 1/4" Lexan, makes some stand off's to elevate it a bit, and then put a new Exhaust Super Quiet Fan on the top! Cut the Bed a little larger than the inner tire to seal on the inside, then cut in Half, insert into the chamber then seal with Silicone!

Opinions?

STG

I think that would dry it out real fast. there is a guy doing an organic coco mix that has an pump involved to oxygenate the root zone.

I like coco and these pots as it's just about as stupid simple as it gets. I hand water drain to waste hydro solution.

start clones in 16 oz cups, then 1 gallon, 3 gallon.

"K.I.S.S" that's counter productive to how those pots got developed in the first place! If we do not step out of the box to try new things we never advance in new GROW Technology. Plastic buckets are much CHEAPER! :ganjamon:

STG

Being an end user as well as an enjoyer of the chronic, it's important to me that it's simple. that's why I like these, it's a simple improvement that makes sense. Let's see if they work! Assuming they do and there s even a gram or two increase they've paid for themselves. It's not like they're really expensive.

budlydoright: I agree 100%, and I can't see how it wouldn't help increase aeration to the root system, my point was flooding the root system from the bottom may help increase the effect as the plastic bucket/barrier is no longer there. It's very easy to Implement in my Cabinet design!

Also if you Wife/GF Sews, that material is availble at Home Depot in the HVAC filter section in Larrge Matt's. I have used it to make Air Filters for Carb's, even used the RAIN Gutter guards to add rigidity to them, same could be use here to reinforce the top rim of the Buckets if you needed it!

STG

budlydoright: I agree 100%, and I can't see how it wouldn't help increase aeration to the root system, my point was flooding the root system from the bottom may help increase the effect as the plastic bucket/barrier is no longer there. It's very easy to Implement in my Cabinet design!

Indeed. I have seen them used with hydroton in an ebb and flow, I'm sure you could use coco the same way, It will keep the coco out of your rez.

Also if you Wife/GF Sews, that material is availble at Home Depot in the HVAC filter section in Larrge Matt's. I have used it to make Air Filters for Carb's, even used the RAIN Gutter guards to add rigidity to them, same could be use here to reinforce the top rim of the Buckets if you needed it!

Actually, I can sew and even own a machine (made windsocks back in the hang-gliding days). I think the material is thicker than the stuff at lowes. It really reminds me of ozite carpert or car trunk carpet. I would generally cheap out and diy, but there just isn't enough savings at this point.

Actually, I can sew and even own a machine (made windsocks back in the hang-gliding days). I think the material is thicker than the stuff at lowes. It really reminds me of ozite carpert or car trunk carpet. I would generally cheap out and diy, but there just isn't enough savings at this point.

Try a fabric store. look for felt.

Try a fabric store. look for felt.

definately not felt. It is a non woven fiberous material. I would guess it's ozite or one of their simular products. It's like the carpet like material that car companies are using in the trunk.

I'm as cheap as the next guy and love a hands on approach, if I needed a hundred of them, I'd probably go for wholesale before a tedious diy like this one.

trasplanted into four of them last night.Dont like the idear of moving plants while thay are in flower but no sign's of shock.Will let you know how thay do.

I lost 2 Girls last grow from Transplanting 1st week of Flower, and they slowly died over 2 weeks. Have my fingers crossed for ya, and throwing all the positive brain waves your WAY!

STG

I repotted first week of flower and all plants seemed fine. What size smart pots did you get?

I bet that they'll survive. Keep in mind your watering schedule will likely change a bit.

I have some new photos I'll try to post tonight. Things are progressing very well. the cuttings in the smart pots are a bit bigger than in plastic. We already have a little air-prunning going on too. My guess is they really shine when the plant is more mature.

Ok, here are the photos. These cuttings are moving a bit slow as the temps are in the mid to high 60's in this space with 30% RH. This is just one shot of each cutting, there are 6 in smart pots and 4 in plastic pots. Both 1 gallon, all cuttings are from the same mom. I have cuttings taken at the same time that are already flowering

SANY0233.JPG

SANY0224.JPG

SANY0226.JPG

SANY0225.JPG

SANY0227.JPG

SANY0229.JPG

SANY0230.JPG

SANY0232.JPG

SANY0235.JPG

SANY0236.JPG

4915.jpg

These are from cuttings taken at the same time.

I bet that they'll survive. Keep in mind your watering schedule will likely change a bit.

How so will it be more or less often?

I have some new photos I'll try to post tonight. Things are progressing very well. the cuttings in the smart pots are a bit bigger than in plastic. We already have a little air-prunning going on too. My guess is they really shine when the plant is more mature.

want to see how one of these containes handel a plant from seed next grow

How so will it be more or less often?
I really want to see how one of these containes handel a plant from seed next grow.Right now the temp's are 70 with the lights out and 73-75 on with a r.h. of 52%

Back
Top Bottom