Snapped one of 2 tops: Solutions?

Ghostwriter31

So my thoughts are this will heal over in a day or two with a knot . I did this with a mid branch 3rd node and the next day just touching the branch caused it to break completely. I don’t wanna do this on the top cola area . I’m scared if I touch that branch it will do the same , break off
Leave it t alone for a few days or surgery as in a bandage maybe ?
CBD418D3-53C7-486A-82EA-8B4F4F193305.jpeg

Wrap it with some electrical tape applied with the sticky side out such that you're taping the tape to itself and not taping around the plant. It's easier to remove that way and it can still breathe a little bit. You're just trying to create a bit of stability and keep moisture out.

I use paper tape to fix my (prolific) booboos.

I personally wont use electrical or duct tape anymore due to plastics being bad for the environment and the fact many commercial tapes contain polyethylene which breaks down in the sun and releases ethylene (and other gross stuff). I just use paper florist's tape or paper masking tape.

These plants can take a pretty stern beating (I'm still a noob, tho, so take my words with a grain of salt :D ):

Ok everyone of you guys and gals( sorry about all you in between) are telling me that I need to do something as opposed to nothing at all . Why not do nothing? Open air wounds don’t heal? That principle ? Lol

Yes, you need to wrap some tape tight around it. The sealing will hold the stem in place, stop the wound from drying out and allow transport of fluids to keep the outer section alive. The stem/branch will partially heal, as in sealing itself and growing partially together, but AFAIK, it will be weakened.

I leave the tape on for the life of the plant. That gives continued support, and as the branch grows, the tape stretches so that the wrapping gets tighter which stabilizes it even better. The tape-and-forget method has always given me juicy buds on the broken branches.

Your own suggestion of a "bandage" is the right one :)

Like others say, use electrical tape - it works every time. If it's a bit floppy, I also use a toothpick or similar as a splint
It’s not floppy that’s the problem I’m having , I can spin the pot around in a 360, pivot and spin back the other way and it doesn’t flop over . It’s standing tall and growing faster than it’s opposite now ........ I’m just afraid now I will not be able to tuck back under the net because if I do bend the branch at all it will finish snapping

2A4D971D-24E9-4FE3-ACEE-46F92BC5BC77.jpeg

Yes, you need to wrap some tape tight around it. The sealing will hold the stem in place, stop the wound from drying out and allow transport of fluids to keep the outer section alive. The stem/branch will partially heal, as in sealing itself and growing partially together, but AFAIK, it will be weakened.

I leave the tape on for the life of the plant. That gives continued support, and as the branch grows, the tape stretches so that the wrapping gets tighter which stabilizes it even better. The tape-and-forget method has always given me juicy buds on the broken branches.

Your own suggestion of a "bandage" is the right one :)
Ok I believe I’ll do this , any recommendations on tape ? Electrical, masking, or just clear tape ...... check my one reply where I describe spinning pot in 360. Guess I probably still need to tape regardless?

Yeah, just wrap it tightly with tape and take a little care when you tuck it later. Any kind of tape is fine. Electrical tape is stretchy so that it's easy to get a nicely fitting and tight wrapping.

Another splint method is to use a piece of drinking straw or similar. Split it lengthwise and place it around the stem. Tape around it, and you have a very solid repair.

Yeah, just wrap it tightly with tape and take a little care when you tuck it later. Any kind of tape is fine. Electrical tape is stretchy so that it's easy to get a nicely fitting and tight wrapping.

Another splint method is to use a piece of drinking straw or similar. Split it lengthwise and place it around the stem. Tape around it, and you have a very solid repair.
I like this idea with splint , I’m gonna do this soon

Ok everyone of you guys and gals( sorry about all you in between) are telling me that I need to do something as opposed to nothing at all . Why not do nothing? Open air wounds don’t heal? That principle ? Lol
If I broke a stem and had that small of a break then I would do nothing. If it was more severe and to the point where the stem would not stand up and instead flopped over I would tie it to something to hold it in position. And, that position could be straight up or over at a right angle; whatever suits the situation.

It’s not floppy that’s the problem I’m having , I can spin the pot around in a 360, pivot and spin back the other way and it doesn’t flop over . It’s standing tall and growing faster than it’s opposite now ........ I’m just afraid now I will not be able to tuck back under the net because if I do bend the branch at all it will finish snapping

2A4D971D-24E9-4FE3-ACEE-46F92BC5BC77.jpeg
It looks like it has awhile before you would have to bend it to tuck it under. When the time comes to bend it then my suggestion would be to bend it at a different area, either a couple inches higher up or a couple of inches lower. As far as I can tell, every time a stem has cracked or broken like that it heals up but it also forms a callus or knuckle at the point where the break was and is no longer flexible enough.

If I broke a stem and had that small of a break then I would do nothing. If it was more severe and to the point where the stem would not stand up and instead flopped over I would tie it to something to hold it in position. And, that position could be straight up or over at a right angle; whatever suits the situation.

It looks like it has awhile before you would have to bend it to tuck it under. When the time comes to bend it then my suggestion would be to bend it at a different area, either a couple inches higher up or a couple of inches lower. As far as I can tell, every time a stem has cracked or broken like that it heals up but it also forms a callus or knuckle at the point where the break was and is no longer flexible enough.
Thank you for reply, I get what I get when I ask the internet. Haha your advice is probably the best advice however I took the routes recommended. I did not act first thing, I gave it 24 hours of thought and ask 420 and ultimately putting a piece of straw with masking tape around it . That fell to bottom of stem so I just put masking tape . As far so good but this plant got “ tagged “

putting a piece of straw with masking tape around it . That fell to bottom of stem so I just put masking tape
The tape needs to extend above and below the piece of straw to secure it and to seal the wound. But masking tape is fine. The main thing is to seal and stabilize, and do it quickly if the wound is severe (not so severe in your case, I take it).

I use paper tape to fix my (prolific) booboos.

I personally wont use electrical or duct tape anymore due to plastics being bad for the environment and the fact many commercial tapes contain polyethylene which breaks down in the sun and releases ethylene (and other gross stuff). I just use paper florist's tape or paper masking tape.

These plants can take a pretty stern beating (I'm still a noob, tho, so take my words with a grain of salt :D ):

Ethylene is actually a plant growth regulator. But yeah I agree with you on the plastic tapes fer sure and the glue to go with. I'm pretty sure there's no FDA testing done on it and uses with plants.

Usually a small crack is OK the plant will fix it as long as its not broken thru all the Phloem/Xylem she will fix it usually overnight.

I usually always wire mine up so there is temporary support to help things along.

If the tip past the crack is wilted after 2 days usually = goner.

High n sight 20/20 I would have left alone , however I taped it and it’s doing fine, growing taller than the other top. I’ll go with my gut more often

Back
Top Bottom