Snapping under weight

hey Krissi I found bamboo stakes around the the pot & then I tie wire in between to resemble a tomato cage works for me :thumb:
It allows you to move the plant a bit
you can use wood splints( popsicle sticks) if you have any broken branches

Guys I have an SOS

My AG is breaking everywhere under her weight. I have yo yos coming tomorrow. I tried to tie her with pipe cleaners and garden velcro I tried to get her in a tomato net and I am just making this so much worse. She is be bending in multiple places-the bottom half of the branches and then where the branch meets the bottom of the colas. She has no main somehow she is like I counted 10 colas. She was super spread out to begin with. When I moved my big girl out of the tent. I didn't realize she was being held up by her the last couple days. I'm freaking out cause I taped the shit out of her but she is hanging on threads. Any advice as to what to do until the yo yos come? I'm thinking not to touch her anymore today and let her sit and then just attack her tomorrow getting her secured when I get to yo yos....

I have never had this issue before. I am shaking cause I am just unsure as to how to approach this right now. I'm worried I will lose her completely because of this stress.

Any thoughts?
I like tomato cages. I have found some plastic and metal cages that can be built around your plant, to provide the vertical support she is needing. Check out amazon for the 72" tomato cages. I prefer these to yo-yos because the plant is still able to be moved around with the cages intact.

Shit anytime darling I hope you get that fixed ASAP cuz trust me I know how it is to look in on them and see them leaning and bent. Makes me wonder how long my bud was laying there when I checked in on them last night I mean hell was like 3 days since I looked in there won't do that no more everyday I look
You gotta check these girls all the time. It's like having teenage girls, you never know what they are up to!
Thank God hell is chunky as she is she don't look too far off
Haha! She has 3 weeks left!! She is only 42 days flower!
See this was mine last night when I checked in on her I don't know how long this Bud was laying there but I know that's not a good thing but it is fixed. I know one thing's for sure this will be the last time I use fucking bread ties that shit is a pain in the fucking ass.

20220306_210356.jpg
It happens buddy....it's a good thing though
We don't need no stinking yo-yos :) Great quick fix:thumb:
:rofl::rofl::rofl: love that reference btw thanks bud!
Knew you would get things sorted!

NTH
Phew...a little Ammy never hurt to help out it all in focus! Thanks NTH!
hey Krissi I found bamboo stakes around the the pot & then I tie wire in between to resemble a tomato cage works for me :thumb:
Thank you buddy! Appreciate that info! May have to use it in the future. Got her secured as of now with some velcro yo yos :rofl: Here

I like tomato cages. I have found some plastic and metal cages that can be built around your plant, to provide the vertical support she is needing. Check out amazon for the 72" tomato cages. I prefer these to yo-yos because the plant is still able to be moved around with the cages intact.
For my next round of photos I am certainly taking all of these ideas and putting them to good use! Thanks Emmy! Luckily for now I got her secured but moving forward if I grow another one this way-def thinking of a cage. I have some from my garden I tried to get her in there now but she couldn't take the moving around and twisting so this will have to do for her

For my next round of photos I am certainly taking all of these ideas and putting them to good use! Thanks Emmy! Luckily for now I got her secured but moving forward if I grow another one this way-def thinking of a cage. I have some from my garden I tried to get her in there now but she couldn't take the moving around and twisting so this will have to do for her
That is the big advantage of these build as you go cages... there is no twisting and tugging to get her in there... just build it around her as needed. I don't even always use all 3 sides and sometimes the cages when not needed so much for vertical strength, can also be used to spread the plant a bit in the middle. These reusable cages have turned out to be one of the most useful tools in my garden.

I have some from my garden I tried to get her in there now but she couldn't take the moving around and twisting so this will have to do for her
That's why I build a cage , when the buds start to get heavy also don't like it caged at the beginning, it will try to grow out

That is the big advantage of these build as you go cages... there is no twisting and tugging to get her in there... just build it around her as needed. I don't even always use all 3 sides and sometimes the cages when not needed so much for vertical strength, can also be used to spread the plant a bit in the middle. These reusable cages have turned out to be one of the most useful tools in my garden.
I guess i had a red one in the backyard now that I'm looking out there that is one of those..I'll pick up some more when I go mulch shopping for sure

I hate floppy plants. I've been adding silica to my feed water but don't feel it's helping much. I also foliar spray silica once a month (or when I remember).

Yo-yos won't work for me as I like to bring my plants out of the tent to tend them. I've ordered some build your own tomato cages from Etsy based on Emilya's recommendation. I'm looking forward to no more floppy plants.

I hate floppy plants. I've been adding silica to my feed water but don't feel it's helping much. I also foliar spray silica once a month (or when I remember).

Yo-yos won't work for me as I like to bring my plants out of the tent to tend them. I've ordered some build your own tomato cages from Etsy based on Emilya's recommendation. I'm looking forward to no more floppy plants.
All the plants usually have really killer stems, this is my first time with this problem so it took me by surprise. I immediately thought a silica supplement moving forward would be proactive, thank you. I like to move then usually too, I guess 1/like 20 in the last few months isn't that bad I was just I'll prepared. She was lollipopped and just structurally different so I should have known it was coming and asked for help then. I like the open cage idea a lot. Happy Woman's Day to you and to @Emilya as well, I didn't see that it was International Woman's Day until I saw it on Tralas page after I posted here!

I know you got it handled but just my 2 cents for future reference. This always works for me.
Dampen the inside of the break with PH water. Wrap the break in gauze then use an 8 inch wooden skewer taped on with medical gauze tape. That keeps the skewer from rubbing the stem and allows some air so it won't rot if it weeps. Turn down the lights to reduce transpiration for a day or two.

I use 5 foot tall 3/4 inch PVC pipes for 4 legs around the plant. On the ends of the horizontal pipes I use PVC snap saddles from the plumbing department of most home supply stores. I can run multiple horizontal pipes anywhere needed on the vertical pipe and easily assembled around the plant. Then I can run jute cord in a lattice pattern where I need support. You can slide the horizontals up out of the way or break it down into pipes and stow it in a corner when not in use.

PVC saddle jpg.jpg

I know you got it handled but just my 2 cents for future reference. This always works for me.
Dampen the inside of the break with PH water. Wrap the break in gauze then use an 8 inch wooden skewer taped on with medical gauze tape. That keeps the skewer from rubbing the stem and allows some air so it won't rot if it weeps. Turn down the lights to reduce transpiration for a day or two.

I use 5 foot tall 3/4 inch PVC pipes for 4 legs around the plant. On the ends of the horizontal pipes I use PVC snap saddles from the plumbing department of most home supply stores. I can run multiple horizontal pipes anywhere needed on the vertical pipe and easily assembled around the plant. Then I can run jute cord in a lattice pattern where I need support. You can slide the horizontals up out of the way or break it down into pipes and stow it in a corner when not in use.

PVC saddle jpg.jpg
Oh man thank you so much!! I really appreciate your insight and awesome how to instructions! Did you see this somewhere or did it come out of your seemingly active imagination?!

It seems like you are getting things sorted out. I grow Trainwreck from time to time and she is notorious for this type of growth. What I do is get that green plastic mesh from the garden department at the big box stores and cut it so it is tapered on both sides. When you roll it up it makes a cone. I fold over about 3" top and bottom to form a hem/rim so that it ads structure to the top and bottom. You wrap it around the plant and zip tie the ends. This makes an encapsulating cone that the colas rest against. With a mature plant it is best to have two people when doing it so you don't snap any branches and you get everything tucked in correctly.

When you do that even though the plastic mesh is really light the entire plant being in it supports itself.

Good luck. You grow is looking great.

It seems like you are getting things sorted out. I grow Trainwreck from time to time and she is notorious for this type of growth. What I do is get that green plastic mesh from the garden department at the big box stores and cut it so it is tapered on both sides. When you roll it up it makes a cone. I fold over about 3" top and bottom to form a hem/rim so that it ads structure to the top and bottom. You wrap it around the plant and zip tie the ends. This makes an encapsulating cone that the colas rest against. With a mature plant it is best to have two people when doing it so you don't snap any branches and you get everything tucked in correctly.

When you do that even though the plastic mesh is really light the entire plant being in it supports itself.

Good luck. You grow is looking great.
Thank you so much! Just came back and look how helpful you already are!

Thanks about the grow btw! It's almost done, had 5 photos now I'm down to 2-they are a couple weeks out. Then it's the 5 autos that are left and a little break for me for a couple weeks. I'm taking all of this information in as I always grow different strains so I want to be prepared for everything and prevent anything like this from happening again. Odds are good for me with this not happening but if I can do some PM, I'm all in

Oh man thank you so much!! I really appreciate your insight and awesome how to instructions! Did you see this somewhere or did it come out of your seemingly active imagination?!
I grew up in green houses so I couldn't tell where I learned to graft branches that way. As for the frame I tried several variations but always felt they needed more versatility. I am a general contractor so I have work shops full of tools and supplies. Found one in the bin of 90 deg fittings and got me thinking. Helps to heat them and open the clamps a little so they aren't so hard to clip on.

My taller plants get to about 8 ft. outdoors in the greenhouse in 15 gal. smart pots, and I use one or two bamboo stakes with green gardening tape... works good. Sometime I might use 3 stakes. Sometime I will suspend the top of the plant to the rafters. This is really only to support them when there's a little wind, or when I've doused them with spray and they're all wet and heavy. I don't have a weight problem from giant buds... yet ;)

Wrap some string around the outside and pull them all in? Got any stakes you can put in the pot to tie them to?
and the reply...
The problem is when I tried that, was since she is all colas, her nugs are so long and since she is snapping in 2 spots, to secure the bottom branches is not enough because just above the bottom of the cola, she starts to bend again and if I tie that, I tie the nugs and if I tie under them, I make that second bend occur..I'm like beating my head against a wall
Yes, that is one of the problems.

My solution was to push in a couple of bamboo stakes and after a plant or two if falls into place where the stake have to be pushed into the soil. I have then used ribbon (like the ribbon used to wrap gifts) because of the larger amount of flat surface which string or wire does not have. First step is to wrap around the lower part of the bending branches and pull in just a little bit and tie off to the stake. Wrap another piece of ribbon around the upper portion and pull that one in a bit until it is tighter than the bottom ribbon. Loosen the bottom ribbon and pull it a bit more and then go to the top ribbon. Do it a few times switching back and forth until the plant has been pulled in to your satisfaction. Tie each ribbon off with a knot like used to tie shoe laces which makes it easy to undo at harvest time.

The buds will be able to handle having a ribbon near the top. Tying it up somewhere just below half way down and again up somewhere above the lower buds on the cola seemed to give good even support.
I tried silica and got the same feeling that it really was not helping much. Noticed that I had stronger stems and less bend after I started using Cal-Mag on a regular basis. Every now on then I will use the manufacturer's upper recommended range for a dose of Calcium supplement. So far so good.

Hi there, just to share a simple solution, I just used wire ties. One wire down from the top for the other wires that are tied to branches to latch on to. You won't have to have so many dropping down from the top. Or you can even connect the wires to keep the branches from flopping all over the place. Here's what I did, if it helps....

IMG20211023185352.jpg

IMG20211029182218.jpg

IMG20211023185214.jpg

Back
Top Bottom