So what's the difference?

gazmufc

Hey Folks
Soon I will be setting up what I will consider my first grow with proper equipment. Have orders fce6500, and hoping to do things rights, and expecting good harvest.

My question is about dry amendments. I've juts watched a guy on YT pull 1lb of milk and cookies with 1 big plant under a marshydro 3000.
The only amendments he used was a product called " organic Burpee", he used veg and then bloom, top dressing as instructed.
These products cost like 10e each, and the final results he got were amazing. Tight dense nice looking nugs. Yes they weren't massive buds, but the final weight was close to 1lb.
As a beginner, am just wondering why should I go for more expensive amendments? Do they actually offer a big difference than the Burpee?

Thanks in advance...

How it going @gazmufc

Let me start our with the name Burpee; don't they do a lot of gardening vegetables? They do in my area.
The only dry that I have used is from one of our sponsor @GeoFlora Nutrients. The plant I just grew with these nutrient yielded my approximately 498 grams of @Sweet Seeds Apolo - Flashback #2. The @GeoFlora Nutrients are easy to use and very forgiving wit new growers.

So as far as nutrient lines go, I do know a product called " organic Burpee" so I cannot recommend this line; but dry nutrients are very easy to use. I am sure that the grower you watched of YT was not a beginner to get a pound. To get a pound off a plant you really do need to know what you are doing and little or no mistakes.

If you decide to go with a dry nutrient line invest in a 2 gallon sprayer. You will need to get the nutrients to all the roots, even the bottom ones. If you just add water with out a plan, you will be fortunate if you get 4 oz.

So my takeaway is, I like dry nutrients, but you still need to know how to get a plant to reach 1 pound.

If you haven't; start a grow journal so we can follow along and help you get to harvest.

Hope this helps, and good luck with your grow.

Stay safe, and grow well my friend,

Tok..

Hey Folks
Soon I will be setting up what I will consider my first grow with proper equipment. Have orders fce6500, and hoping to do things rights, and expecting good harvest.

we'll help you along. make sure you get a journal up and let us know the rest of your set up.

My question is about dry amendments. I've juts watched a guy on YT pull 1lb of milk and cookies with 1 big plant under a marshydro 3000.

the first thing to do is get the hell off youtube. none of that shit ever works for a first time grower.

all you need to do is get the basics right. we can help with that. you can get fancy and do your own tubing later when you can bring a grow in successfully.

The only amendments he used was a product called " organic Burpee", he used veg and then bloom, top dressing as instructed.
These products cost like 10e each, and the final results he got were amazing. Tight dense nice looking nugs. Yes they weren't massive buds, but the final weight was close to 1lb.

i wouldn't start there. there are far more important things to get right first.

As a beginner, am just wondering why should I go for more expensive amendments? Do they actually offer a big difference than the Burpee?

Thanks in advance...

i wouldn't even worry about amendments. just go with a good set of base nutes to start.

the base nutes you choose have to work well enough to get a decent harvest to finish on their own. once you are ok with that, then you can start exploring amendments on subsequent grows.

we have plenty of growers pulling 1 pound harvests who have never heard of burpee… in fact many are using “water only” super-soil or “water only“ living organic soil…. or using other brands of nutes.

I’d say main reason he pulled a pound has everything to do with genetics, lights, environment, training methods plus more importantly longer veg time and less to with the nutes.

the bad part of YouTube and we’ve seen plenty of it here….. when your plants hit the wall folllowing Mr X’s prescribed methods - where do you turn? If he is an expert - then he should take your questions - right?

Geoflora is one of our sponsors and they make an organic dry mix that you add to the soil by measure as you fill the pot, then every 2 weeks add by measure as top dress and water in. It’s an all in one meaning NPK plus cal-mag are in proper ratios, there are 2 products one for veg and another for flower since ratios are different for each stage of growth.

hope this helps, welcome aboard Gazmufc

Wow great responses folks.. All very well explained, definitely makes more sense now. The base soil that I have is called *plagron, batmix! It has worm castings in it and NPK of 1 - 2-1.
The guy in the store said there's enough food in it to last 6 weeks before u began to add. Have yous heard of this soil?
Should I stick with this ? I could buy the bio buzz light mix that requires me to add from the beginning.. Thanka in advance..

I’d say main reason he pulled a pound has everything to do with genetics, lights, environment, training methods plus more importantly longer veg time and less to with the nutes.

the tuber got it mostly due to light. light is always the answer.

feeding, temps, humidity, and ultimately production is pushed by the light. our job is to keep up. that's it.
light is job 1.

@gazmufc .. you have a decent light. we can help with the rest. :)

Wow great responses folks.. All very well explained, definitely makes more sense now. The base soil that I have is called *plagron, batmix! It has worm castings in it and NPK of 1 - 2-1.
The guy in the store said there's enough food in it to last 6 weeks before u began to add. Have yous heard of this soil?
Should I stick with this ? I could buy the bio buzz light mix that requires me to add from the beginning.. Thanka in advance..

it's fine to start, you're gonna need nutes though.

for most new growers i recommend a non nuted media. nuted media can burn seedlings up and kill you before you ever get going.

non nuted media means you have to feed from the get go, and learn what the plant needs from the start. this forces you to learn a read on your plants, which is how to identify needs and correct issues. it can be rocky for a grow or two, but then your skills skyrocket.

nuted media will support the plant until such a point you have an issue and don't know where to start.

I have not found a Veg and a Bloom fertilizer on the Burpee web site. There is the companies Organic line of products and I am thinking that the Youtube guy might have been using their Organic Tomato + Vegetable dry fetilizer during his grow. Do you remember the exact name?

Nothing wrong with someone using "Organic Tomato + Vegetable", especially if it work for them. There have been many people with successful harvests who have used a fertilizer meant for tomatoes because it was the only thing they could find. Plus, the requirements for both crops are similar, not the exact same, but close enough that it will work.

I agree with most of what @013 said when he wrote this: "I’d say main reason he pulled a pound has everything to do with genetics, lights, environment, training methods plus more importantly longer veg time and less to with the nutes." I would have to say that the nutrients are just as important as anything else this Youtube grower is doing.

But, in the long run, the #1 reason most of the Youtube growers can produce the plants and yields they show is because they have been practicing. Very, very few of them upload a video of their first few grows.;) It is not just his fertilizer choice or lights, etc. To do what he has been doing a new grower has to not only use the same lights but also keep them on for the same amount of time, has to have the same temperatures and humidity levels. And the water has to be the same. His water has to be matched, especially in the initial pH levels but also the levels of naturally occurring minerals. The list goes on but innovation on the first couple grows will rarely produce what we want to see.

Absolutely nothing wrong with Burpee. They have been self-owned and a major seed producing company that has been around for for just short of 150 years. They are a leading breeder of vegetable and flower seeds plus seeds, whips and cuttings for trees and shrubs.

Their fertilizer prices are comparable, maybe a tad more, to what we would pay for the products that the companies that produce for Cannabis growers. When we buy from one of the sponsors here or most any of the other companies out there we are getting something that is specialized to what our plants need. That is just like Burpee who is going to specialize to what their customers need.

I have not found a Veg and a Bloom fertilizer on the Burpee web site. There is the companies Organic line of products and I am thinking that the Youtube guy might have been using their Organic Tomato + Vegetable dry fetilizer during his grow. Do you remember the exact name?

Nothing wrong with someone using "Organic Tomato + Vegetable", especially if it work for them. There have been many people with successful harvests who have used a fertilizer meant for tomatoes because it was the only thing they could find. Plus, the requirements for both crops are similar, not the exact same, but close enough that it will work.

I agree with most of what @013 said when he wrote this: "I’d say main reason he pulled a pound has everything to do with genetics, lights, environment, training methods plus more importantly longer veg time and less to with the nutes." I would have to say that the nutrients are just as important as anything else this Youtube grower is doing.

But, in the long run, the #1 reason most of the Youtube growers can produce the plants and yields they show is because they have been practicing. Very, very few of them upload a video of their first few grows.;) It is not just his fertilizer choice or lights, etc. To do what he has been doing a new grower has to not only use the same lights but also keep them on for the same amount of time, has to have the same temperatures and humidity levels. And the water has to be the same. His water has to be matched, especially in the initial pH levels but also the levels of naturally occurring minerals. The list goes on but innovation on the first couple grows will rarely produce what we want to see.

Absolutely nothing wrong with Burpee. They have been self-owned and a major seed producing company that has been around for for just short of 150 years. They are a leading breeder of vegetable and flower seeds plus seeds, whips and cuttings for trees and shrubs.

Their fertilizer prices are comparable, maybe a tad more, to what we would pay for the products that the companies that produce for Cannabis growers. When we buy from one of the sponsors here or most any of the other companies out there we are getting something that is specialized to what our plants need. That is just like Burpee who is going to specialize to what their customers need.
Hey thanks for replying. I've taken a photo of the product for reference. There is also a veg bag u can get.. Its just very cheap and I can get it shipped quickly. Have a look and see what u think. Here is link to the guy who used it to get get 1lb..he used mars hydro fc3000.. Il defo get the better stuff from America a bit further down the line. Its gonna cost me over 200 bucks to get that shipped to Ireland.
Thanks in advance...

Screenshot_20220115_141425_com.duckduckgo.mobile.android.jpg

Its gonna cost me over 200 bucks to get that shipped to Ireland.

have you tried looking closer to home ? a quick google returned loads of growshops in ireland with a number of recognizable and very acceptable brands. and delivery. plus of course amazon.

have you tried looking closer to home ? a quick google returned loads of growshops in ireland with a number of recognizable and very acceptable brands. and delivery. plus of course amazon.
Hello, thanks for the comment. Yes I have found this place that is local. The sell amendments separately, or in a grow and bloom bags. All the good stuff, incest grass, rockdust, wormcastings etc.. They even have neem to prevent with pests.
Think now I've decided to go with these along with bio bizz soil, I can get the soil plain, and I add 1 tbs for every gl of pot soil and then top dress every 2 weeks..
Defo seems like best option now, was juts curious if any of folks here had used the Organic Burpee products. Can u have a quick look at the Web site and see what u think please?
Thanks in advance..
My fce6500 should be with me next week, the 4x4 tent arrived today!! Getting super excited to get going!!

Hello, thanks for the comment. Yes I have found this place that is local. The sell amendments separately, or in a grow and bloom bags. All the good stuff, incest grass, rockdust, wormcastings etc.. They even have neem to prevent with pests.
Think now I've decided to go with these along with bio bizz soil, I can get the soil plain, and I add 1 tbs for every gl of pot soil and then top dress every 2 weeks..
Defo seems like best option now, was juts curious if any of folks here had used the Organic Burpee products. Can u have a quick look at the Web site and see what u think please?
Thanks in advance..
My fce6500 should be with me next week, the 4x4 tent arrived today!! Getting super excited to get going!!

looks like a plan is forming. you have access to cannabis specific products. for the money i would stick with those. if you buy an unknown you get an unknown and will face issues later.

looks like a plan is forming. you have access to cannabis specific products. for the money i would stick with those. if you buy an unknown you get an unknown and will face issues later.
Yeah very true, sounds good thanks. Il be sure to start a journal when I get going.. Hopefully 2 weeks max if not before...

Hey thanks for replying. I've taken a photo of the product for reference. There is also a veg bag u can get.. Its just very cheap and I can get it shipped quickly. Have a look and see what u think. Here is link to the guy who used it to get get 1lb..he used mars hydro fc3000.. Il defo get the better stuff from America a bit further down the line. Its gonna cost me over 200 bucks to get that shipped to Ireland.
Thanks in advance...
Yes, that is the Burpee product I mentioned in the earlier message. I cannot think of anything that would be wrong with using that fertilizer blend if something specifically intended for Marijuana growing was not available.

There is no point in getting fertilizer shipped from the US if the same or an equivalent product is available where you live.

Sorry but I cannot watch the video unless I sign up for a YouTube account and give them an eMail or phone number. I just am not in the mood to add to the Surveillance Capitalism that is already going on. Don't know if that is the way it is where you are but there is no reason they need that info from me to watch a video.

Hey Folks have amendments ordered. That's close to 1000euro spent now.. I know that's not much in this game, but I know it'll be worth it.

Obviously I need reading meters. I already have a temp /RH meter.
So I need CO2 meter, and ppm meter to measure light intensity.
Is there an other meters I will need that's yous can think off?

Growing in my bedroom, think I'm gonna need a space heater to keep temperature at that sweet zone.
I also need a humidifier. Cud u folks recommend some or does it really matter?
What way does the humidifier work, in terms of maintaining the humidity? Do u just set the humidity at 55% and then it maintains that? Or do u need to it off and on manually?
Thanks in advance...

I don't think you actually need a c02 meter, and ppm meters are not for measuring light - As long as you have a decent light you shouldn't need to actually measure it.

Are you talking about using a space heater and a humidifier in an open room that you also live in? You will not be able to control the relative humidity in that situation.

I don't think you actually need a c02 meter, and ppm meters are not for measuring light - As long as you have a decent light you shouldn't need to actually measure it.

Are you talking about using a space heater and a humidifier in an open room that you also live in? You will not be able to control the relative humidity in that situation.
Yes, what Sueet says.

The PPM meter is to measure the amounts of various minerals and nutrients by 'parts per million' that have dissolved in the water. A LUX meter is for measuring the amount of light hitting a specific area.

As some of the group often mention it is best to go slow on the first grow or two. Trying to figure out what has to be done to grow a plant plus trying to figure out what all the meters and devices do, all at the same time can get very confusing.

Yes, what Sueet says.

The PPM meter is to measure the amounts of various minerals and nutrients by 'parts per million' that have dissolved in the water. A LUX meter is for measuring the amount of light hitting a specific area.

As some of the group often mention it is best to go slow on the first grow or two. Trying to figure out what has to be done to grow a plant plus trying to figure out what all the meters and devices do, all at the same time can get very confusing.
, Hey,
I was intending to just keep the space heater and humidifier in the grow tent.. Might not even need the space heater, as the temperature in my house is usually around 15degrees..might get bit lower at nte, but they say the plant can handle temperature swings of 10degrees.. Would u agree? I Was thinking it better to maintain the temperature at a steady 16degrees in the tent,.
Thanks in advance..

Ok, I missed that there was a tent inside the room - that said, you almost certainly won't need a heater inside of it - You will more likely be trying to get rid of extra heat from your light. In my opinion a humidifier would also cause more problems than it could fix, unless you have an extraordinarily dry atmosphere inside of your house/room. Inside of a tent, the plants will create their own humidity I would think.

Back
Top Bottom