SOGgy Daze Ahead For Mr. Krip!

OMG! I just awoke from a nap and read that as sexually challenged! sorry, but that was too funny not to tell.

Those pics looks something like a nice Girl Scout Cookies! Did you notice anything different about their flavor?

:laughtwo: Nope, it's the schedule I've been having problems with. Luckily, everything else still works! :wood:

I described the flavor as an earthy/pine and it was nice & smoothe. Very enjoyable! :thumb:

FEELING GUILTY UPDATE!

I'm calling this my "feeling guilty update" because it almost never happened! I was harvesting two more Lucy's this morning and noting how much bigger they're getting, but wasn't planning on taking any pics and still hadn't replaced the batteries in the camera from when they died during my last update.

Then, I started thinking that it wasn't right to stop posting pics and start reporting more size/weight, so I ran out to get some more batteries just so I could post some "evidence" of what's been going on.

At this point, I've harvested all plants from the first round of 24 plants, and a total of five plants from the second round, including the two from this morning.

The stats from the first 24 plants are:

Total Weight: 272.3 g or 9.61 oz.
Avergage Weight: 11.35 g or 0.40 oz.
Average Height: 14.77"

It wasn't until halfway through that first grow that I realized I needed to veg the plants to a minimum of 12" to get them to finish above 16" tall, which I expected, would also get me above the 1/2 oz. per plant goal.

Of the first three plants harvested in round two (I'll get to the two from this morning in a minute!), here are the stats:

Total Weight: 41.5 g or 1.46 oz.
Avergage Weight: 13.83 g or 0.49 oz.
Average Height: 17.83"

So, it looks like the additional veg times are working and I'll be able to hit the 14 g/plant mark on this round! :yahoo:

The two Lucys harvested this morning were 18" and 19" and both were staked in the 2 L's just to keep them from falling over. Here's a pic of the two with the trimmers in the middle for a size reference on the colas:

DSCN2275.JPG

A little closer shot of the top buds:

DSCN2278.JPG

And, even closer at the individual buds:

DSCN22761.JPG

DSCN2277.JPG

As impressive as Lucy looks, I've reported before that the pheno I have probably isn't the best specimen of a Lucy, and isn't as good as the other strains I've been growing. So, I decided within the last week or two that no more Lucy is going into flower, except for the last Lucy mom. The first Lucy mom will be harvested later today or tomorrow, then I'll put the last one in and focus on the Power Skunk, Pineapple Express, and discovering whether or not the Big Band is worthy of staying.

So, I've been taking clones from everything else to make up for the Lucy clones that will never see flower and the veg/mom cab is packed FULL:

DSCN22801.JPG

I hope the Big Band turns out to be a good addition, because I've already taken about a half dozen clones from her, just haven't gotten any all the way to harvest yet. The oldest of her clones is right at 21 days and due for it's first defoliation. Here's Bertha, the Big Band mom which still has a lot of filling out to do:

DSCN22811.JPG

Saving the Power Skunk has turned into a waiting game, and it looks like it may be a while before I get another Power Skunk clone into flower. I had reported that, for some reason, the Power Skunk mom had gone into flower and was reverting back to veg. Even though I got her clone to root farily easily (I didn't count the days), I vegged the clone to over 14" and it was still throwing out 3-fingered leaves! :thedoubletake:

I didn't want to put it into flower in that state, so I topped her and her mom again and started cloning the tops. Here's some shots of the clone that got topped and you can see the 3-fingered leaves:

DSCN22832.JPG

There's also a real funky-looking 4-fingered leaf:

DSCN22842.JPG

Now, here's what's crazy...

I put the tops from the two "reverting" Power Skunks in the cloner less than 5 days ago and both already have roots! And, I'm not just talking about a taproot, I'm talking well developed roots!

DSCN2288.JPG

DSCN22892.JPG

I've never seen roots like that develop that quickly and can only surmise the plants must be in some "veg overdrive mode" as a result of having to revert from being in flower.

Here's all the clones currently under humidity dome (including the two Power Skunks above):

DSCN2286.JPG

The veg cab now has the Pineapple Express bonsai mom, the Lucy Bonsai mom, the Big Band Bonsai mom, (2) reverting Power Skunks that will either be moms or breed a new mom, and a couple of Pineapple Express moms-to-be to replace the current PE mom, plus some other clones waiting to go into flower.

So, I've had to resort to using the clone chamber to start vegging new clones and, now, even the cloning chamber is wall-to-wall plants (well, I could get a few more in there):

DSCN22851.JPG

The four clones in the far-left column are actually Lucy's that will end up getting tossed.

When I go to harvest the Lucy mom that's in flower, I'll get some pics of the flower tent.

Happy Harvests!

K

"Awesome, awesome, awesome!" That's all I can say.

Now, that's the update style I've grown to know and love. Thank you Mr. Kripp for taking the time out to "git'er'dun"!

Thanks, Brother! :thanks:
Sorry for the wait! :sorry:

LUCY MOM #1 HARVESTED

I harvested the first Lucy Bonsai Mom this morning. Here she is before a quick trim:

DSCN2290.JPG

It was easier to cut her into a couple of pieces for hanging, so here she is after the quick trim:

DSCN22921.JPG

I'm guessing about an ounce total dry weight, but the colas are smaller than the single-cola 2L SOG plants, and there's a lot of popcorn bud I ended up just throwing in the hash pile. Plus, the trimming took about three times as long. I'm still gonna (reluctantly!) flower out the last Lucy mom, but that's only because it's the easiest way for me to get rid of the plant. All else being equal, I'd rather throw a few more of any of the other strains in, but hate to just toss a fine looking mom.

Happy Harvests!

K

Great update, and thanks for feeling guilty! ;)

I love those monster Lucy colas. +rep for the great pics and going the extra mile. Oh, and congrats on getting your weight/size goal!

Hope you are well my friend, you sure sound BUSY!
:)

Great update, and thanks for feeling guilty! ;)

I love those monster Lucy colas. +rep for the great pics and going the extra mile. Oh, and congrats on getting your weight/size goal!

Hope you are well my friend, you sure sound BUSY!
:)

Thank you, Brother! :thanks:

I have still been real busy and hate that I haven't been able to spend more time here, or more time paying attention to the grow, or more time doing a bunch of the other stuff I love. But, gotta do what I gotta do! ;)

I've gotten a little behind on the grow and the flower cab is only about half full right now, but should be full again within the next couple of weeks.

I'll be stopping by your journal in a few minutes to catch up there and hope you're feeling and doing well.
:Namaste:

QUICK UPDATE - ABORTED PLANS TO FLOWER LUCY MOM #2

Shortly after my post showing the harvest of Lucy Mom #1, I started on moving Lucy Mom #2 into flower. I cleaned and put a layer of perlite/vemiculite mix into the one-gallon hempy bucket, pulled Lucy Mom #2 out of the cab, started doing a brief trim of some of the dead leaves and what would be non-productive branches before moving it into flower.

As I was doing this, I was thinking about the posts I've made explaining that I liked the other strains better and the fact that flowering the mom displaces four other SOG plants; and that in my recent post I justified flowering Mom #2 by saying it was the easiest way to get rid of the plant.

I had to stop and ask myself, "Dude, what the hell are you doing?" :thedoubletake:

I've got the motherload of Pineapple Express and Big Band clones waiting in the cab and still have six Lucy's in the flower tent that will be harvested over the next several weeks.

So, rather than just trimming the dead and non-productive stuff, I cut that Lucy mom to pieces and she's going in the compost bin. I also scrapped the four other Lucy clones that were in hempy's in the clone cab.

So, while I may try growing Lucy again in the future, and hope for a better pheno than this last one was (which still, really isn't bad!), no more Lucy's going into flower.

Happy Harvests!

K

It is not a crime to terminate a mother/strain. You have already stated the reasons many times. Now go start another strain, stay on the quest for the best. Lots of seeds to pick from.....

Congratulations on the partial harvest!! She looks killer!!:high-five:

Makes much more sense to me to cut her down than to take up the space and feed her 2 months of :morenutes:

Thanks, Brother! I agree 420%!

It is not a crime to terminate a mother/strain. You have already stated the reasons many times. Now go start another strain, stay on the quest for the best. Lots of seeds to pick from.....

Thanks for the confidence boost, Bro! I do know it's not a crime to toss a plant, it just feels like one when I'm doing it! :)

You need to be "ruthless" to find the best plant/strain/pheno. Never be afraid to cut your losses/chuck a plant. You can always replace it (especially if you don't believe it is "special" in the first place). So many strains, so little time. You WILL know the special ones when they come along. Keep them for a while and move along.

So what do you think you will be running next krip? I finally got some of my strains picked and eliminated out ive decided on keeping papaya, nl x bb, qrazy train pheno 1 and fruity chronic juice with qrazy train pheno 1 being my best strain but the others wo rk great in our 2l type systems the qt has got a couple phenos I had 3 pheno 3 turned purple and the p1 is a huge yeilder 19 grams per dry, tastey, sweet dank rock hard buds. The nl x bb is close second just some strains to think about neway nice stuff still going on here :thumb:

Hey you never know till you grew it out. Scary thing is I always forget to clone a baby from the 'one' pheno I wanted. Something is funny bout some seeds I've gotten also. I even got damaged seeds. I sent them a pic of the damaged ones and I know they'll do something, but they wrote me back and said I should e-mail the seed growers and see what they will do.... WTF I didn't get them from them. I got them from your bank. I still think I'll send acouple pic's to 'Green House' and acouple others. But even with the damage I had problems getting starts. Hell I even sacrificed acouple dozen seeds I had just to make sure I wasn't putting out to much heat or something. I thought it was me, but it wasn't. I hear they use to radiate packages way back when. I didn't know if they strenght in that rumour tho. I know they will crush anything unprotected, that was what was wierd. They had to package these seeds, and two of them really stood out as damged. To a trained eye, they should've been spotted. Hell I'm blind and could see it from across the room. But alot of people have been having problems with germination rates. Tap root 'if' any did show it was kind of dingy brown not bright white. And I even had one called 'Doctor' that started real slow and then stopped growing totaly till I killed her. But I seen someone say so many kinds. I don't waste space on dead end plants either. Why? I see what you mean about Lucy. I've seen afew good ones but she wasn't 'the one'. Keep looking you'll find the right strain. I'm doing that also. I love the Vanatge Dude. Fast good yield, hard buds and about a 9 on that 10 scale. Well GL in the next ones. I give ya props for showing off a plant that 'isn't quite up to snuff' I don't post pic's of my uglier ones. GL on NOTM. Sorry I don't do them myself or vote in them. Had drama before so I let it go. But is a sweet looking bud. Keepem Green

Hey Mr.K,

Great update and pics...thanks for taking the time. Everything looks wonderful in you garden. Sorry about the Lucy, but I agree with OG...keep looking, you'll find a favorite/favorites as you grow. Good job on making your harvest goal.

Thanks for the bokashi idea...sounds like you've really got your hands full...but in a good way.

You need to be "ruthless" to find the best plant/strain/pheno. Never be afraid to cut your losses/chuck a plant. You can always replace it (especially if you don't believe it is "special" in the first place). So many strains, so little time. You WILL know the special ones when they come along. Keep them for a while and move along.

Hey Mr. Krip, you'll find that keeper and know it when you see it/exprience it I'm betting... This was such a timely post for me as I sit her stalling "chucking" some plants. Making excuses not to do it, but not having room to do otherwise. +rep OG, the post may not have been directed at me, but it sure was timely. I'm literally futzing around here because it's hard for me to get rid of plants. :thumb:

Hey you never know till you grew it out. Scary thing is I always forget to clone a baby from the 'one' pheno I wanted. Something is funny bout some seeds I've gotten also. I even got damaged seeds. I sent them a pic of the damaged ones and I know they'll do something, but they wrote me back and said I should e-mail the seed growers and see what they will do.... WTF I didn't get them from them. I got them from your bank. I still think I'll send acouple pic's to 'Green House' and acouple others. But even with the damage I had problems getting starts. Hell I even sacrificed acouple dozen seeds I had just to make sure I wasn't putting out to much heat or something. I thought it was me, but it wasn't. I hear they use to radiate packages way back when. I didn't know if they strenght in that rumour tho. I know they will crush anything unprotected, that was what was wierd. They had to package these seeds, and two of them really stood out as damged. To a trained eye, they should've been spotted. Hell I'm blind and could see it from across the room. But alot of people have been having problems with germination rates. Tap root 'if' any did show it was kind of dingy brown not bright white. And I even had one called 'Doctor' that started real slow and then stopped growing totaly till I killed her. But I seen someone say so many kinds. I don't waste space on dead end plants either. Why? I see what you mean about Lucy. I've seen afew good ones but she wasn't 'the one'. Keep looking you'll find the right strain. I'm doing that also. I love the Vanatge Dude. Fast good yield, hard buds and about a 9 on that 10 scale. Well GL in the next ones. I give ya props for showing off a plant that 'isn't quite up to snuff' I don't post pic's of my uglier ones. GL on NOTM. Sorry I don't do them myself or vote in them. Had drama before so I let it go. But is a sweet looking bud. Keepem Green

Hey Mr.K,

Great update and pics...thanks for taking the time. Everything looks wonderful in you garden. Sorry about the Lucy, but I agree with OG...keep looking, you'll find a favorite/favorites as you grow. Good job on making your harvest goal.

Thanks for the bokashi idea...sounds like you've really got your hands full...but in a good way.

Hey Mr. Krip, you'll find that keeper and know it when you see it/exprience it I'm betting... This was such a timely post for me as I sit her stalling "chucking" some plants. Making excuses not to do it, but not having room to do otherwise. +rep OG, the post may not have been directed at me, but it sure was timely. I'm literally futzing around here because it's hard for me to get rid of plants. :thumb:

Thanks again for the confidence boost, everyone, and I agree 420% on not keeping a plant that not a "keeper"! The Lucy mom has long been made worm food, now and I have no excess of space in the grow tent! :)

QUICK UPDATE

Just a quick update for everyone...

I've still been getting on here at :420: pretty regularly, but usually am lurking and only catching up on a journal or two at-a-time. I guess one of the reasons I haven't been updating much here on this journal is that I'm pretty well settled into this SOG and, because it's so repetitive, there's never much new to show or report that I haven't already shown or reported.

That being said, the flower tent is packed full with 24 plants, and, although 24 was the planned max, I found I can squeeze a couple of more in there, if needed, and it may be because I still have a bunch of clones and several that will be ready to go into flower in the next few days.

Here's a pic of the full tent:

DSCN2301.JPG

And, here's the side with all the nice buds :yummy: :

DSCN2303.JPG

In three weeks I'll be harvesting the first of the Big Band clones and should have a good smoke report, but early reports based on look and smell are very positive and, even though (like the Power Skunk) she was a freebie seed, she might just be another "keeper" and, although I've only grown out a handful of strains, I'm becoming quite impressed with Kannabia and will most likely try some more of their strains in the future.

Here's some info I read on the Big Band:

Big Band

Kannabia Seeds

When launching a variety with hopes of super yield, it would be a mistake to overlook the issue of flavour. This was the original idea behind Big Band, which is a cross between a Bubblegum, selected for its predominant flavour and aroma, and a Chronic male (both from the Serious Seeds bank).

The cross had a bubblegum flavour but with an fermented aftertaste and the typical structure of an indica, with a large central bud and sparse branching in the lower parts.

Kannabia used the reversed pollen of this variety to pollinate one of their fruitier Black Domina mothers, obtaining a hybrid with greater branching in the lower parts, with a predominance of indica and fairly rapid flowering.

This hybrid also outperforms its predecessor in terms of both yield and flavour — now definitely one of this variety’s plus points. It tends to stretch out a lot when growing, although without growing to a very great height.

It is precisely this vigorous growth that makes it an ideal variety for selecting a mother. It produces long, healthy cuttings, which, if pruned adequately, will grow by the dozen within a short time of making a cut.

Outdoors the plant is unlikely to grow any taller than 1.80 m, but you should use a support system to prevent the large central bud and heavy side branches from bending too much.

It is a plant that is very easy to grow, since the variety is robust and highly resistant to all kinds of pests.

It produces compact flowers with an excellent calyx-leaf ratio. From the fourth week of flowering the resin is already very abundant and it will end up covering all the buds and surrounding leaves. It forms numerous clusters of flowers that harden when first fed with P-K.

Indoors, excellent results are obtained growing in five-litre plant pots, with coconut and a drain-to-waste drip-watering system. The plants should grow no taller than 60-70 cm for an abundant yield. The flowering cycle ends after 58-61 days.

Outdoors, you should be ready to harvest by the end of September, so avoiding the first rains of autumn.

When smoked, the first few tokes produce a deep, heavy feeling, which is then transformed into a state of relaxation. Ideal when you’re stressed out. The tangy strawberry and lemon flavour sticks to your palate to leaving a strong flavour of fruit gums.

STRAIN INFO

Seed Bank: Kannabia Seeds
Genetics: Sativa/Indica
Parents: Bubble Gum, Chronic, Black Domina
Photoperiod / Autoflowering: Photoperiod
Flowering Time: 8 - 9 weeks
Height: Medium
THC %: 19%
Award Winner: No
Available As: Feminized Seeds

Also, here are some excerpts from some reviews I've read:

"Been growing big band in D. W. C. . After a few cycles we're yeilding anywhere from 1/4 to 1/2 pound per plant with proper feeding and pruning."

"...This is one of the best tasting smokes I have tried ..also not too heavy on the head with heavy fruity after taste that lasts few hours for me anyway..It does stand out from the croud .Best way for me to describe the taste is strawberry orange with blueberry aftertaste..."

Blueberry aftertastes will explode over your palate when you exhale from toking the Big Band marijuana strain. Kannabia Seeds bred this medicinal cannabis strain with the full intention of capturing best of Sativa potency along with great tastes, aromas and appearance. And of course the fact that she is a heavy yielder makes her all the sweeter! You can count on 350 to 400 g/m2 when you treat her right with loads of HID lighting, CO2 supplementation, organic nutrients and pure water. Keep the air moving around her and make sure to keep her daytime temps between 75° and 80° F. Maintain relative humidity levels between 45 and 55%. ... The Big Band cannabis strain is an potent skunk strain that delivers a punch like Tyson without the bite. She gently, but very effectively rocks your world! You may not remember doing everything you do right away, but you'll be surprised at how much you get done after you toke up on some seriously delicious Big Band marijuana buds. She will grow medium sized Sativa-style plants that grow with the vigor of an Indica strain. Therefore, her overall flowering time will be just about 9 weeks, still less than most Sativas due to her Indica genetics. Low CBD and high THC levels make this strain a very solid choice for those searching for the ultimate Sativa experience.

As we get a little closer to harvest on the Big Band, I'll start posting some pics of her, but she sounds awesome! :yahoo:

Happy Harvests!

K

Kannabia Seeds I know I've grown some of their product and loved it. I don't remember which but it was good. Guess with alot of these hybreds you just have to get lucky when you only get to pick from one parent plant compaired to starting like 5 or 10 at once. I know these breeders get to select from 100's of strong perspective parents plants for breeders. And nowadays breeders are turning out new F1's acouple times a year. Takes along time to really stabilize a strain. Well one nice thing about them is you don't know what you are going to get 1/2 the time. I was looking at what you are growing, 'BTW,,, good' looking buddage ya got going in the flower room.' You ever look into Big Bud or Critial Mass type hybreds? A two liter jug should support a nice massive cola nicely. Alot of nice genetics out there. We all need to find that 'one' that never lets us down. Keepem Green

Back
Top Bottom