SOGgy Daze Ahead For Mr. Krip!

Mr K...nice haul on the hash

:rofl: get the puck out of there :rofl:

Can those bags be gotten at the big box store? Or is it something that must be ordered online? I'm with X...I've wanted to try this ever since you first posted a video on it months ago...also, how much dry ice is required to how much trim? Now that you've done this successfully...do you have any helpful tips or tricks for the newbies?

Sq

Wow! My hash & I are honored to have been such inspirations! :)

I don't believe you'll find the bags at any of the "Big Box" stores, although you may find some at a local hydro shop. As for the dry ice, it only takes a few small chunks approximately a couple of inches cubed, so buy the smallest package they sell and you'll have more than enough, I'm sure.

The amount of trim you process in any one "batch" really depends on the size of the bags but as I previously mentioned, you can expect about a 15% return (actual mileage will vary!), so if you process 10 grams of trim, you should get about 1.5 grams of good quality kief. Just don't fill the bags too full, maybe half full or a little more, since you want room for the ice to shake the trichs loose.

Here are some tips for the newbies:

1) If you only get one bag, I recommend the 160 micron. With the 160 you should be able to filter out all of the plant material and get the most yield. What comes out of the 160 micron bag would normally be caught in either the 120 micron bag, or one of the smaller bags, so it will be good quality.

2) I recommend the bags that are only mesh on the bottom of the bag. Some of the bags are mesh around the sides, too, which is a great advantage for ice water extraction since the bags will drain much quicker, but for dry ice extraction, you don't want the trichs spraying out the sides and all over the place.

3) I only use the bucket at the beginning of the process. I put the dry ice in the bucket with the trim, swirl the bucket to stir it around a little, then let it sit for a minute or two to cool down before I dump the contents directly into the bag and shake the trichs lose directly in the bag. By letting the trim cool in the bucket first (rather than the bag) I believe there's less change of freezing the bag then having it break as you shake the chunks of dry ice. Also, it's not necessary to let the trim cool first but it will save you some energy by preventing you from having to shake as it cools.

4) Whether you shake with the bucket or bag alone, MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A GOOD SEAL!!!! Anyone who's done this before is probably laughing right now remembering when they shook a bunch of trim all over the place and then spent an hour trying to get all the plant material out of the kief that was already extracted!

5) Before each batch, I disinfect the surface of the table (in my case, a large glass picture frame) with rubbing alcohol and clean the bag with alcohol. I also clean the bag with alcohol after each use which loosens any trichs that tend to stick to the bag.

6) When you're done with the trich extraction, you can take the contents of that 160 bag and use it to make oil or budder. There should be no need to de-carb it first since, I believe, the cooling process would have already decarbed it and it's the stuff that gets filtered out of the 220 bag and caught in the 160 (lower quality) that people would normally use for cooking.

7) The pollen press I use to make those "pucks" is nice to have and it's pretty cheap, but it's not necessary. You can store the kief in an airtight container then just sprinkle it on a bowl or bong of meds, or roll it in with a joint.

8) If you do decide to use a pollen press, here's a nice trick...take a piece of parchment paper (its like wax paper and found in same section, used for baking) and cut two cirlcles the diameter of the press. I do this by simply holding the spacer with a piece of parchment paper against it in my left hand, then I trim around the spacer with scissors that are in my right hand. It doesn't need to be exact! I then put the pieces of parchment paper on each side of the kief layer before I press it. Then, when it comed out of the press, the parchment paper peels right off and can be used for the next puck. This really helps keep the press running clean and smoothly and not stick when lots of pressure is applied.

9) Use the leftover dry ice to apply CO2 to the girls in flower per the video I posted a page back

I wish I had another tip to make it an even ten, but other than to send some to me when you're done, I can't think of anything else! :)

Let me know how it works out!

Hey Mr.K,

Great info...thanks so much. + reps to ya :Namaste:

Will let you know how this works when I do it.

Sq

Hey Mr.K,

Sq

Ditto, great post Mr Krip. + rep from me, too! :thumb:

Hey Mr.K,

Sq

Ditto, great post Mr Krip. + rep from me, too! :thumb:

Thank you both for the good words and +REPS! :thanks:
I'm looking forward to seeing both of you give it a try! :cheer:

QUICK UPDATE - PICS COMING SOON!

Since it's been a while, I figure I'm due for an update and I promise to post some new pics by the end of next weekend. As I mentioned in some previous posts, part of the reason I'm not posting much these days is that I've pretty well settled into a repetitive routine with the same three strains I've been working on (Pineapple Express, Big Band, & Power Skunk) and there's not much new to report.

But, there are a few things lately that are worth mentioning...

First, I harvested four more plants today - two Pineapple Express and two Big Band. And, with the room I made, I added two more PE's and two more BB's to the flower tent.

Those plants represent the completion of the second round of 24 plants harvested this year and the completion of putting the 3rd round of 24 plants into Flower (actually, the first plant of round #4 is in the flower tent, as of today). Coincidently, it appears we're exactly 70 days from New Years Eve. So, by the end of the year (assuming I don't wait until after New Years to harvest!) I will have cloned, rooted & harvested 72 SOG plants this year (plus a couple of Mom's I grew out). I know some of you do much more than that in one harvest, but it's a lot of plants for me! :yummy:

OK...now for the (somewhat) educational portion of this post...

To make a long story short, I was down to one Power Skunk clone that was originally going to go into flower but the mom, was having problems. So I figured I'd top it and make it a new mom and, since it was about to go into flower, it was about a 14" tall clone. Normally, I would have topped it, cloned the top, and ended up with two Power Skunk plants (The original clone plus the cutting).

But, I really wanted to get the Power Skunk population up, so I tried something I had read about but never attempted, which is to take multiple clones from a single cutting. In other words, I topped the plant right above a node, then topped it again a few nodes lower on the same main stalk, and cloned both cuttings. As of today, both cuttings have rooted. So, instead of only two plants, I now have three (the original clone plus the TWO cuttings)! :yahoo:

Once the roots get a little more developed (24-48 hours) I'll post some pics of both clones. Seeing the very top rooted isn't really anything new, but seeing the section below the section that was topped root is really pretty cool! :thumb:

I did know this was possible, but had never tried it and it's a great technique to be able to maximize the number of clones you get from a single plant. Each individual clone will be shorter, but you'll get many more of them!

Happy Harvests!

K

Hi Mr Krip!

Cool, would love to see those. I have seen that done with cuttings, but haven't done myself yet - though I've been thinking of trying that, too.

Lots of plants you've harvested - congrats! Now I see why you've been so busy... ;)

Got mine coming $40 free delivery.5 GAL /5 Bag, Ebay
congrats on the awesome hash haul! :high-five:

I still need to get one of those bags at some point, you've had me wanting to do it for a while - since you first posted info and a video on it. I end up with more trim leaf material than i can make cooking oil with, which is what i do with most of my trim now... Hope you are well, and your weekend was a great one. :)

try to find an isoII machine.....$800 if you can find one....but that is chemical extraction. but was neet. but this is way better.
I wonder about the screen also. I can't see someone getting 8 grams of good hash out of a oz. Not that I've ever been the big hash maker. Back long time ago they use to have a machine called Iso2 Isomizer which washed your herbs with denatured alcohol thru a still that have abunch of tray which the alcohol wood purculate thru ending up with product in the bottom tray. Ad claimed 'Shit to Gold'. But what you ended up getting was another alcohol soluable chemical, chloroform all the hash it made was green. The oil too. Thing was a flop to me. Well thanks for the info. I'm fixxing to come up with a pound or two of high end shake. When I harvest my outdoor stuff I never trim the smaller buds. They end up in the trim for butter of hash. This CO2 sure looks easier. Yea from what I understand CO2 can be over done. But I wood als put my extra's in the flower room. I'd just run it thru a fan first. Looks great Keepem Green

Hey Mr. K,

Fly by...just wanted to see what's going on...looking forward to some new pics...who cares if they are the same strains, it's always fun to look at others grows. I've actually done that type of cloning before...way back, when I didn't have a clue what I was doing I topped a plant and made two clones out of it. I didn't know there were *rules* to cloning back then and just wanted to maximize my cuttings.

:rollit:

Sq

TWO CLONES FROM A SINGLE CUTTING

I had promised to post some pics of the two clones taken from a single stem/cutting, so here they are...

On the right is the top of the plant ("upper cutting"), and on the left is the middle of the plant ("lower cutting"):

DSCN2351.JPG

Here's a closer look at the lower cutting...you can see where it was topped to make the upper cutting:

DSCN2353.JPG

Here are the roots from the upper cutting:

DSCN23541.JPG

And, here are the roots from the lower cutting:

DSCN2355.JPG

You can see that they are both definately viable clones. An interesting note is that the two cuttings started showing roots out of the cube within hours of each other, but the lower cutting has many more roots coming out of the cube. I'm guessing this is because, being lower on the plant, it had slightly more of the rooting auxins than were present in the upper cutting.

No real magic or any special techniques required here - just the plant doing what it does naturally. So, it's another good "tool" to have in the "arsenal" when you need to maximize the number of clones.

One tip is to make sure you leave one of the fan leafs just below the top (growth) node on the lower cutting. I won't swear that it's necessary, but I have a good hunch it's pretty important to ultimately move the nutes to the growth node! ;)

Happy Harvests!

K

TWO CLONES FROM A SINGLE CUTTING

I had promised to post some pics of the two clones taken from a single stem/cutting, so here they are...

On the right is the top of the plant ("upper cutting"), and on the left is the middle of the plant ("lower cutting"):

DSCN2351.JPG

Here's a closer look at the lower cutting...you can see where it was topped to make the upper cutting:

DSCN2353.JPG

Here are the roots from the upper cutting:

DSCN23541.JPG

And, here are the roots from the lower cutting:

DSCN2355.JPG

You can see that they are both definately viable clones. An interesting note is that the two cuttings started showing roots out of the cube within hours of each other, but the lower cutting has many more roots coming out of the cube. I'm guessing this is because, being lower on the plant, it had slightly more of the rooting auxins than were present in the upper cutting.

No real magic or any special techniques required here - just the plant doing what it does naturally. So, it's another good "tool" to have in the "arsenal" when you need to maximize the number of clones.

One tip is to make sure you leave one of the fan leafs just below the top (growth) node on the lower cutting. I won't swear that it's necessary, but I have a good hunch it's pretty important to ultimately move the nutes to the growth node! ;)

Happy Harvests!

K

:bravo: Nice, way to go with that post Mr. Krip. Kudos for adding to the knowledge pool my friend!
+rep

A FEW FLOWER SHOTS BEFORE LIGHTS-OUT

I was hoping to get some bud shots in tonight and wasn't aware of the time, so I only managed to get a few before the lights went out on me.

That's probably just as good, since now I'll be able to get the close-ups in natural light instead of under the LED's where I have to color-adjust the camera.

BTW...I just used the new photo upload tool...Definately MUCH better! :thumb:

DSCN23602.JPG

DSCN23622.JPG

DSCN23591.JPG

DSCN23562.JPG

DSCN23581.JPG

This girl will probably be my next NOTM and/or POTM entry....It's one of the Big Bands that just got HUGE! :morenutes: She still has a few more weeks to go before harvest but is significantly larger than any of the others, both in height and girth:

DSCN2357.JPG

Happy Harvests!

K

Wow, I am amazed by your grow. So many questions...I cant possibly read every post looking for the answers lol. Maybe for all the newcomers to this thread you could take the time to answer them? I know I would greatly appreciate it, and I'm sure others would as well. Do you clone in a seperate area? What medium do you use? How do you water? What height do you start flowering? Whats the avg final height? And what type of nutes are you giving those beasts?! Sorry I just have to know more about this, as your space is similar to mine and I'm very intrigued by the thought of SOG.

gosh KRIP those buds are big wish mine were that big :adore: maybe when i get this jd 1000 going they will but im posting pics agian :420: fixed my uploading problem so check me out :Namaste:

Thanks, Brother! :thanks:
I'll be over in a few to check it out!

Lovely journal Mr Kripp! :goodjob:
Ladies looking amazing and enjoying your writing style.
I have also been taking cuttings from a single branch for a long time now and have had the same results as you. I find it gives me much more clones from a mum rather than trying to only take growing tips all the time.
Keep up the good work!

Wow, I am amazed by your grow. So many questions...I cant possibly read every post looking for the answers lol. Maybe for all the newcomers to this thread you could take the time to answer them? I know I would greatly appreciate it, and I'm sure others would as well. Do you clone in a seperate area? What medium do you use? How do you water? What height do you start flowering? Whats the avg final height? And what type of nutes are you giving those beasts?! Sorry I just have to know more about this, as your space is similar to mine and I'm very intrigued by the thought of SOG.

Welcome, Bubbly! :welcome:

It's always good to have newcomers and I never object to helping any way I can. Before I answer your questions, I have to give credit where credit is due. The inspiration for me, and many others here on :420: going to a SOG is 420fied, who I refer to as the "SOGMaster". You should read his two journals here, starting with the first one:

Come SOG with Me - 112 Plant - 2 Liter - Hempy SOG

2 Liter Hempy SOG

I have adapted 420fied's style to suit my own circumstances.

So, to answer your questions:

I do clone in a separate area in order to maintain a perpetual harvest. I clone & veg in a DIY grow cabinet. You can see the design HERE. There's two sides to the cab. Originally, one was to be for veg and the other for flower, but would only hold about 2 plants on each side at-a-time, and I found myself still running low on meds. I expanded the grow at the end of last year to do the SOG and added the grow tent that I use for flower. I use GLR (Gas Lantern Routine - 12 hours lights-on, 5.5 hour lights-off, 1 hour lights on, 5.5 hours lights-off) on clones & Moms and 12/12 in flower.

Here's a pic of the side of the cab I use for Mom's & rooted clones:

DSCN22801.JPG

And, here's the side for cuttings & freshly rooted clones:

DSCN22851.JPG

Finally, here's the flower tent:

DSCN2301.JPG

I use a "typical" hempy mix of 75% perlite and 25% vermiculite. I water with a 2-gallon sprayer I picked up at one of the home centers:

DSCN09162.JPG

The phenos I grow tend to stay very short (possibly due to the LED's I use in flower), so I don't put them in flower until they get to about 14"-15" and they finish at about 18"-20". Many strains will double in size, or more, in flower, so you may need to put them in earlier. I believe 420fied puts his in at about 8"-12" to get his to finish at something like 16"-24".

Up until a month ago, or so, I was using Advanced Nutes, but I recently switched to Blue Planet Nutes. BPN is a great sponsor here, very knowlegable, and an active participant in the forms helping others. He's got a GREAT line of nutes that are very inexpensive compared to AN and others, and the results are just as good, if not better. You'll see many grows here using BPN.

Let me know if you have any other questions I can help with!

Lovely journal Mr Kripp! :goodjob:
Ladies looking amazing and enjoying your writing style.
I have also been taking cuttings from a single branch for a long time now and have had the same results as you. I find it gives me much more clones from a mum rather than trying to only take growing tips all the time.
Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the compliments, Tony, and nice to have you here! :welcome:
I agree 420% - it's a great way to maximize the number of clones and, actually somewhat relates to my last post where I mentioned that I had modified 420fied's style of SOG, and also had a post several months back on some reasons why his style was superior to mine, although mine works for my particular circumstances.

One of the things 420fied does is to take tall cuttings for his clones. Then, as soon as they root, he puts them in flower. This dramatically cuts down on his veg times. So, if you need taller clones it may be best to stick to one cutting per branch, but if you're not concerned about clone height or veg times, and want as many clones as possible, no reason not to take two or three (or more!) clones from each cutting. :Namaste:

Thanks Mr Krip great info, and I will definately check out SOGMasters journals. Much to learn about the whole 2L hempy thing...

Back
Top Bottom