SOGgy Daze Ahead For Mr. Krip!

Hello Mr. Krip,
Although I think this is the first time posting in your thread, I have read every post and journal of yours. I still enjoy looking at all of your pics too ! I wanted to tell you I think it is great how you have given credit to Fied for the 2L hempy. He inspired me as well. I guess you could say that my grow falls somewhere between yours and his. The 2L hempy is very versatile for sure. I had an old High Times mag that had plans for a flood and drain system that used inverted 2L bottles with their bottoms cut off. I had been saving them for a long time and then Fied started his first SOG journal. At that point I decided to abandon the original plan because it seemed like there were too many things that could go wrong with the F&D system. I am glad I did. I don't run a journal myself, but I have enjoyed lurking on yours and a few others.

I don't have much reps, but you got what I can give anyway for being kind and helping others !!!! Also it's great to see you point others in the direction of Fied to see what can be done in a bigger room under HID.

Back to lurking_Kimmy

Thanks for the compliments, Tony, and nice to have you here!
I agree 420% - it's a great way to maximize the number of clones and, actually somewhat relates to my last post where I mentioned that I had modified 420fied's style of SOG, and also had a post several months back on some reasons why his style was superior to mine, although mine works for my particular circumstances.

One of the things 420fied does is to take tall cuttings for his clones. Then, as soon as they root, he puts them in flower. This dramatically cuts down on his veg times. So, if you need taller clones it may be best to stick to one cutting per branch, but if you're not concerned about clone height or veg times, and want as many clones as possible, no reason not to take two or three (or more!) clones from each cutting

Agreed. I also grow under led and find stretch is fairly minimal. Hence why i have to veg for a while before i pop them in flower area. I really believe every grower needs to find the way to grow that not only suits there room available but also the way that suits them. For example i have just finished seting up a completely new grow room in a house my wife and i just purchased and running 2l sog is the perfect way to grow for my space. This is why i signed up for this fantastic site due to growers like yourself and 420fied!:thanks:

Hello Mr. Krip,
Although I think this is the first time posting in your thread, I have read every post and journal of yours. I still enjoy looking at all of your pics too ! I wanted to tell you I think it is great how you have given credit to Fied for the 2L hempy. He inspired me as well. I guess you could say that my grow falls somewhere between yours and his. The 2L hempy is very versatile for sure. I had an old High Times mag that had plans for a flood and drain system that used inverted 2L bottles with their bottoms cut off. I had been saving them for a long time and then Fied started his first SOG journal. At that point I decided to abandon the original plan because it seemed like there were too many things that could go wrong with the F&D system. I am glad I did. I don't run a journal myself, but I have enjoyed lurking on yours and a few others.

I don't have much reps, but you got what I can give anyway for being kind and helping others !!!! Also it's great to see you point others in the direction of Fied to see what can be done in a bigger room under HID.

Back to lurking_Kimmy

Thanks, Kimmy! :thanks:
Actually, you've posted here before (or maybe one of my previous journals) but not nearly enough - especially with those kind words! :)
There's no doubt that 420fied has his SOG really "dialed in". I'm still working on getting mine dialed in and it does keep getting better!

KANNABIA BIG BAND

I took that huge Big Band out of the grow tent today for a brief photo shoot. Almost by mistake, she'll be the tallest SOG plant yet. I haven't measured her height, but she's due for harvest this weekend; and she should be just over 2' tall and her buds are HUGE! :morenutes:

The pistils are a bright orange/red color and even the lower buds are large, dense, and covered with trich's. I should easily get well over 1/2 oz. from this plant and although I've brought the average height of a finished plant up to about 18.5", I can see that if I get that average up to about 22"-24" I should be able to increase yields even more.

So, here's the girl that put the "BIG" in "Big Band":

DSCN23651.JPG

DSCN23772.JPG

DSCN23661.JPG

DSCN23763.JPG

DSCN23731.JPG

DSCN23712.JPG

DSCN23752.JPG

I do have a nice, big bud from the first Big Band harvested that's been curing for a few weeks now and I plan on breaking it out this weekend from some photos and a smoke report. :yahoo:

Happy Harvests!

K

Looking good Mr.K,

Is it the strain or a different vegging method that made this one taller ?

Looking good Mr.K,

Is it the strain or a different vegging method that made this one taller ?

Actually, I didn't have room in the flower tent when she was ready (that was the mistake - my timing was off! :) ), so she was bigger than the others when I put her in. It's just a matter of vegging them a little longer to get them a little taller.

I like it when a mistake turns out for the good !

BIG BAND BUD

I know I still owe a smoke report on the Big Band. I was planning on doing it this weekend, but had another four plants to harvest which meant moving another four clones into flower, and I just haven't had the time yet. :sorry:

But, I did grab one of the nice Big Band buds to smoke this morning that I snapped a couple of pics of before she went into the grinder. Its from the first Big Band plant that was harvested on 9/19/2112, so has been curing for just over a month.

I'll do a complete smoke report later, but the short version of the smoke report is: :thumb:

Here are the pics of the same bud, two sides:

DSCN23833.JPG

DSCN23843.JPG

Happy Harvests!

K

Very nice buds, Mr Krip! :high-five:

Love how dense/compact they are. :yummy:

Big Band has always sounded good to me, can't wait to hear more of your thoughts on it at some point.

Very nice buds, Mr Krip! :high-five:

Love how dense/compact they are. :yummy:

Big Band has always sounded good to me, can't wait to hear more of your thoughts on it at some point.

I'll get a smoke report in ASAP. I just did the final trim on that HUGE big band harvested last week after five full days of drying, and she weighed in at exactly 19 g's dry! :thumb:

So, far, she's the record holder from a single SOG plant by about 3 g's! :morenutes:

BIG BAND TOP BUD

As I mentioned in the previous post, I trimmed up that huge Big Band tonight after five days in the dry box. The plant weighed in at a whopping 19 g's and the top bud was worth a few pics of its own.

I realized it was tough to get an idea of relative size, so I thought this pic would help:

DSCN23962.JPG

Just the top bud weighs in at 8.6 g's!!! :yahoo:

Here's some better pics...

DSCN23882.JPG

DSCN23943.JPG

DSCN23931.JPG

DSCN23922.JPG

DSCN23912.JPG

DSCN23891.JPG

Happy Harvests!

K

QUICK UPDATE - ROUND #2 YIELDS

The final numbers from round #2 of the SOG are in, and I was doing a little analysis on them...

The 24 SOG plants yielded a total of 314.1 g's or 11.08 oz., averaging 0.46 oz. per plant. I'm definately bringing this average up in round #3!

In the flower tent, I run a BlackStar 240w and a BlackStar 500w. The actual power draw on the 240w is 133w and the actual power draw on the 500w is 315w, which means my LED's draw a total of 448w.

If you take the 314g's yielded from 448w of lights, you get .70 grams per watt - not a bad number! :thumb:

This also means to hit the 1 GPW target, I would need to yield 448 g's or 16 oz, which would mean an average of 18.6 g's or .67 oz. per plant. In other words, if EVERY plant was as big as that Big Band pictured earlier, I'd hit the 1 GPW number.

All of that being said, I really don't believe I'll hit the 1 GPW average consitantly with these strains in the current SOG, and I don't believe GPW is the best metric to measure the success of a grow, but I am happy with .7 GPW. :)

Happy Harvests!

K

Agreed K, GPW is an indicator not full evaluation. Results per effort? per investment, or per unit area that you can spare to dedicate to a grow. Limiters work in several areas, like growth rate as well as engineering a grow using available resource. Limit could be power circuit size, temperature constraints, too many walk-up stairs for heavy media, prices of equipment to buy with finite cash, and of course combinations. I got about .66 gpm PE with vertical cage 250 CMH and HPS. I haven't successfully scaled that up, but I was happy with 160 or so grams from 8 PEs in a 30" box with a bare bulb and a fan.
Now I'm trying to get tricky :hmmmm:

Agreed K, GPW is an indicator not full evaluation. Results per effort? per investment, or per unit area that you can spare to dedicate to a grow. Limiters work in several areas, like growth rate as well as engineering a grow using available resource. Limit could be power circuit size, temperature constraints, too many walk-up stairs for heavy media, prices of equipment to buy with finite cash, and of course combinations. I got about .66 gpm PE with vertical cage 250 CMH and HPS. I haven't successfully scaled that up, but I was happy with 160 or so grams from 8 PEs in a 30" box with a bare bulb and a fan.
Now I'm trying to get tricky :hmmmm:

I'm with you 420%, Brother! As I see it, the there are three objectives us growers all look to balance, and they are:

1) Highest Quality Meds
2) Highest Yield in Available Space
3) Lowest Cost

So, we'd all spend a little more, or sacrafice a little yield, for higher quality meds, and we may be willing to sacrafice some yield to keep our costs down, etc.

GPW only addresses yields and costs (electric), but doesn't address quality at all. It's not a bad metric for personal measurement, but it's a horrible metric to use to compare to another grow because there are too many other variables.

For example, if my grow tent was a foot wider, I'd get another four plants in there without having to spend any more on lights and my GPW would go up. Or, I probably could get rid of the 240w and just run the 500w and increase the GPW if I was willing to sacrafice some quality just to max the GPW.

To quote Mr. Miagi, "Balance, Danielsan!...Now, show me Smoke The Bong!" (OK...I made up that last part! :) )

Great job Mr. K, What's not to be happy about. Sounds like you've got your grow and your space all figured out...Congrats on the nice harvest totals.

:peace:

Sq

BIG BAND SMOKE REPORT

I've been promising a smoke report on the Kannabia Big Band for a couple of weeks now, and didn't want to let another weekend go by without making good on the promise.

The background on Big Band is that Kannabia was trying to launch a new strain that had both high yields and great flavor. It started as a cross between a Bubblegum female (selected for the taste) and a Chronic male. Interestingly, both the Bubblegum and the Chronic are from Single Seed Company.

The initial cross had a Bubblegum flavor with a more fermented aftertaste and the structure of an Indica with a large main cola but fairly sparse branching on the lower parts of the plant.

Kannabia used the reverse pollen from this cross to pollenate one of their "fruity" tasting Black Domina mothers. The result is a much fruitier tasting pheno with greater branching in the lower parts and an Indica dominance that allows for much shorter flowering times and outperforms the original cross in both yield and flavor.

The buds are very dense and the main colas get HUGE! :morenutes:

Here is a sample bud that's been curing for just over a month, now:

DSCN24022.JPG

When ready for harvest, the densely populated pistils turn a bright red/orange color and the buds become covered in trichomes:

DSCN24052.JPG

The buds themselves smell a lot like Juicy Fruit gum with a slight hint of flowers and a blueberry/blackberry aftertaste.

I'd have to say, this strain is GREAT for stress relief and relaxation. Within a minute or two of the first toke you start feeling the effects which start with a somewhat "heavy" feeling, like when you exhale a long breath of air. Then a minute or two later, the heavy feeling transforms into a light, happy, floating sensation with a good head-numbing effect that, to me, is really quite enjoyable.

I HIGHLY recommend Kannabia's Big Band, especially for a SOG grow. As mothers, they produce an abundance of tall cuttings but the plants themselves stay relatively short. Also, although crossing the original Bubblegum x Chronic with the Black Domina helped increase the lower branching, there still isn't a lot of it, so it's perfect for growing as a single cola plant! This strain was always known for growing like an Indica with a large main cola, and virtually every one of my Big Bands require some staking to support those heavy buds, as exemplified by the 8.6 gram bud I posted a few days ago.

I should also note that the Big Band was a freebie seed, as was the Power Skunk, also from Kannabia. And, both are exceptional strains, which make me eager to try more of Kannabia's creations.

All in all, I'm very pleased with the Big Band and she'll have a place in my grow for sometime.

I rate Kannabia's Big Band at four out of five spliffs: :joint::joint::joint::joint:

Happy Harvests!

K

Back
Top Bottom