Soil or Hydro?

Its much less expensive to go soil. just my opinion. Hydro will require some sophisticated measuring devices and such.

Couldn't agree more. In addition to it being expensive, it can be pretty complicated compared to soil - not to mention exponentially more environmentally impactful. My advice would be to buy a soil at a store and not to experiment with building your own soil at this point. Alot can go wrong with homemade soil mixtures. I've royaly messed up some soil mixes before, and lived to regret it.

Cheers.

tFum

I agree that hydro can be a little daunting if you're talking about dwc, or ebb and flow, or anything requiring a reservoir. But a dtw setup like coco or hempy would be a good choice, it's hand watered like soil, it produces fast growth like other hydro methods, and it's simple regarding feeding and pH. If a nutrient lock out occurs it can be fixed immediately, unlike soil which requires gallons and gallons to flush. I water daily with a nute solution pH'd to 5.8 and that's it.

Soil is cheapest to grow with less water/nutrients needed & should be reasonable easy to growth with most of the time in less some first timer mistake was made ?

Hydro can be much more expensive as you may decide to get a pre built kit other wise DIY options can be a little cheaper to build the extra cost comes to more water required as well of nutrients to fill the rez any where from 20 liter to 100 liter it soon adds up, plus ya need a PH, EC or ppm pens to test water/nutrients.

Hempys are pretty straight forward but a mild pain as they are a run to waste type of system & just need some thing to catch the run off apart from that they grow plants well.

For me I found out that it was more easy with hydro (DWC).
The worst part is adjusting the PH (need to buy a ph pen).

I've make my own reservoir, a paint bucket with aluminium tape, aquarium air pump and air rock.
I just use tap water, adjust the ph and add the nutrient.
I flush at each 2 weeks with water and 1/4 nutrient for 24h.

I don't have to buy dirt (and throw it at the end), leaving in a condo that would look weird.
My nutrient (40$) last me about 2 years, the PH down (10$) last 3 years.

Of course if you have a problem you must adjust very rapidly, but it worth it. :thumb:

IMG_20170202_184810.jpg

For me I found out that it was more easy with hydro (DWC).
The worst part is adjusting the PH.

I've make my own reservoir, a paint bucket with aluminium tape, aquarium air pump and air rock.
I just use tap water, adjust the ph and add the nutrient.
I flush at each 2 weeks with water and 1/4 nutrient for 24h.

I don't have to buy dirt (and throw it at the end), leaving in a condo that would look weird.
My nutrient (40$) last me about 2 years, the PH down (10$) last 3 years.

Of course if you have a problem you must adjust very rapidly, but it worth it. :thumb:

IMG_20170202_184810.jpg
I agree 100% with you. DWC is definitely easier but you have to put the time in on loving your lady. Daily check pH daily check her for any problem. And the best part is most problems can be fixed very fast. I have gotten 2 to 3 inches of growth a day depends on if bushing her out or upward growth, either way that's a lot of growth. In soil you just don't get the same growth. And problems come and could take a while to fix. Just make sure if you pick DWC you have the time and effort to put into it. My nutes have been a lil more expensive, never really counted but these are all my nutes and additives
420-magazine-mobile1238155041.jpg
and my third pH meter. They break all the time. I suggest getting a good one like blue lab I am going to I just ordered it but this will hold me over til then
420-magazine-mobile1445877089.jpg
good luck and happy growing

my new dwc Afghan Kush run and flowering mothers

I agree 100% with you. DWC is definitely easier but you have to put the time in on loving your lady. Daily check pH daily check her for any problem. And the best part is most problems can be fixed very fast. I have gotten 2 to 3 inches of growth a day depends on if bushing her out or upward growth, either way that's a lot of growth. In soil you just don't get the same growth. And problems come and could take a while to fix. Just make sure if you pick DWC you have the time and effort to put into it. My nutes have been a lil more expensive, never really counted but these are all my nutes and additives
420-magazine-mobile1238155041.jpg
and my third pH meter. They break all the time. I suggest getting a good one like blue lab I am going to I just ordered it but this will hold me over til then good luck and happy growing

Thats a lot of nutrients!
My next purchase will be some B vitamins.

I found out that there's some nutrient that auto balance the ph! Next time I'll try that!

I agree that DWC is fairly easy and produces great growth - the only problem I ran into was keeping the temperature of the reservoir low enough to prevent nasties from forming. That's why I prefer coco and the KISS method for nutes - 7 grams of GH MaxiBloom per gallon of tap water and that's it, no additives or costly crap. Nute cost = $0.11 per gallon.

Thats a lot of nutrients!
My next purchase will be some B vitamins.

I found out that there's some nutrient that auto balance the ph! Next time I'll try that!
I use GH products, so there pH up and down is what I use.

I like soil. The end product in my opinion tastes better.
Yield in soil is usually lower from what I hear.
I don't have the time to babysit so soil again wins for me.
Easier to maintain in soil. Call it beginner friendly I guess.
Easier in certain ways. Any problems take longer to fix or require a foliar spray. When in DWC any problems can be fixed in hours to a day. Like I said you just gotta listen to your ladies. But I also use soil. But only for mother plant. And currently I am flowering them because I want to drop new beans these are 4 weeks into flower today
420-magazine-mobile2086654972.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1851125531.jpg
420-magazine-mobile97887199.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1482810240.jpg
420-magazine-mobile921959309.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1474068754.jpg
this little lady didn't stretch BC she got buried under DWC buckets and no light reach it. But I chop her today she has flowered for a while BC I wanted to attempt backbuilding and it actually works GREAT
420-magazine-mobile457422366.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1546169148.jpg

I guess I shouldn't say easier. Just better for my situation soil is. And now I'm use to it.
Whichever way and whatever way get you the best quality meds you can possibly get please do a brother because that's all that matters in the end

Back
Top Bottom