Speyedr's White Widow Deep Water Culture SCROG, House & Garden Nutes - 1st Grow EVER!

So I thought I'd chronicle my grow here as I am a little over two weeks into it and have managed to retard my little ones. They are only ~1in & 2in respectively with a little root growth emerging from the pots.

I have:

-SH Deep Water Culture system
-2 air discs w/ SH included air pump
-250W air cooled w/ convertible e-ballast
-House & Garden Aqua Flakes, Roots Exceleurator (silly Dutch), and their other additives for later.
-Hanna Grow Check meter (turns off occasionally when ballast is running or not, but not a problem)
-18" x 24" screen for the SCROG

Grow Area is fairly tight space under stairs with max height of 4' (hence the SCROG. I figure this is no different than a cabinet and there is more lateral space, probably 6' or so. Walls lined with Mylar coated bubble insulation.
-150cfm fan for the light
-Another 150cfm fan hooked to a Can Filter for exhaust - temp controlled to start @ 76f and stop @ 73f.

I have some pics of the space pre-build out. I will gather some current pics as well and post a little later on.
I also have a job that keeps me from messing with the grow any more than I have, but I have still managed to 'love them up' way more than I should. I'll post my screw ups to date shortly.

Pull up a chair and give an aspiring Deep Water Culture a hand.
:peacetwo:

TOO COOL! I also use H&G, and am very pleased. It sounds like you got all the right stuff. I'll be following along..:goodjob:

Evolution Of A GrowCab-From The School of hard Knocks
Grow Cab Ventilation Redesign-All About Heat

You did great!

Thanks!

I had to lower the temp range a little bit more this morning as the HID brought the res back up a tad, but now I am sitting pretty @ 69f. I added a couple rolled up wet towels to the lid to keep the humidity around the plants up as the exhaust is now pulling it down.

Thanks to everyone for all of the help in licking one more problem. Now I just have to wait for them to grow a bit.

Not much of a change in height, but the Rockstar is definitely developing her roots. only 2 have made it out of the cup, and none to the water, but I see several in the hydroton so it's only a matter of time.
The Runt is looking better but I can't see any roots yet, though I am sure they are there.

ph has ben much more stable as well. It started to get a little out of whack last night, but it was 3 days from my res change and H2O2 addition. I added more H2O2 and the pH is back in line.
Res temps holding around 69 give or take a decimal or two. Room temp is about 72 and humidity is 44 so I am misting and putting the rolled up towels right next to the plants. The humidity sensor is near the top of the space so it is not representative of the humidity right near the plants, which I am guessing is higher.
The ladies also seem to like the new lighting as well.
I'll try to get some pics.

Peace Out.

Did you not want to put a humidifier in the room?
SF

I have one in there and it did a fine job when my res temp was 75f. The problem is that right now, to keep the res down below 70f the exhaust fan is just about running 24/7 and with such a small space it vents the humidity pretty quickly.

I should probably put a hygrometer on the lid of the res right near the plants to get a more accurate reading.

I am concerned though that if I let the room temp go higher the res temp will get above 70 and Roseman will kick my ass. My plants probably won't like it either, but I am more concerned that Roseman would kick my ass...:thedoubletake:

Seriously though, I am considering an Ice Probe chiller. You simply install it into the wall of the res and plug it in. It works like a PC heatsink and claims to reduce the temp of a 10 gallon aquarium 6-8f below ambient. If it works it would get me where I want to be on the res and let me raise room temp and humidity, for around $100. If I could add ice packs a few times a day I would but it just isn't realistic.

Of course, if the plants would just get nice and big overnight, replacing a gallon of H2O a day would help to cool it, along with the shade. Just have to get there.

Yes I agree.

Also, keep in mind, you now have a "base-point" knowing what works and what keeps conditions steady in your grow area.

This can also be an opportunity for you to make MINOR tweaks, and back those off quickly if you notice any adverse effects. Obviously you don't want to rock the boat, but if you need to make a slight adjustment you'll see pretty quickly the results.

Whatever you feel comfortable with!

Great growing!
SF

I got a couple of pics. Nothing spectacular yet but they do show a little growth and the mods I made to cool down the res...

The Res..
IMG_06555.JPG

The Rockstar:
IMG_06574.JPG

The Runt:
IMG_06603.JPG

Res temps are holding, pH has fluctuated but not nearly as radically. I even had to add some more H2O today, probably more to do with evaporation than consumption but they are looking up.
I'm going to start lowering the light about 1.25" (1 link) per day. I have also taken SF's advice and am trying to dial in a good compromise between res temp and romm temp/rel hum. I ordered that Ice Probe and I'll post some pics and results once I get it.

L8R

You're getting the Ice probe???!!! That's bad ass! I was wondering how it works, so I'll be watching yours. My res temps are too high too, I've done a few of the things you did, but I can't get my grow room under 75, so it stays higher then I like, but I am still working that issue. You are putting some major work in here.:welldone:

I picked up my Ice Probe and installed today during a res change. The install was extremely simple:
1 - empty the res
2 - drill a 1/25" hole with a hole saw into a flat side of the res
3 - screw the nut on the inside of the res
4 - done and done.

Here's the probe installed:
IMG_06694.JPG

Outside:
IMG_06713.JPG

Inside:
IMG_06723.JPG

This part is aluminum, powder coated with an FDA approved coating. I plugged it in to test when I got it and it gets pretty cold.

Some shots of the slowpokes taken outside the space during the install:
Rockstar:
IMG_06674.JPG

IMG_06665.JPG

Runt:
IMG_06634.JPG

I set my room temp controller back up to 75 - 78f which will allow for much higher humidity. Then I got the res off of the blocks. I am waiting for the res temp to come up a bit before starting the Ice Probe. based on the info on the site it could lower my re temps 10f below ambient temps or more, so I am going to be cautious about it and not cool my res by any other means.

I will report on the results but I have high hopes. Pull up a chair...
:popcorn:

I am considering this week #2 of veg simply due to the amount of abuse the plants have taken. They are looking better but there has not been an explosion of growth by any means. Root development is coming along, but slowly.

SouthernWeed clued me into the fact that H2O2 is detrimental to the H&G Roots Excelerateur (that's how they spell it) since it contains beneficial microbes. This may be a contributing factor to the less than stellar root development. I asked for his input after I had prepared my nutrients (shame on me) so I will wait 3 days until the H2O2 is basically ineffective and then I will add half the dose of RE again along with some Aquarium Algaecide.

Since my algae outbreak I am wayyyyy paranoid but he says the Algaecide has no ill effects on the RE and it should prevent another outbreak so I'm going that way.

My dosage this week is:
for 6gal RO water
-36ml Aqua Flakes A
-36ml Aqua Flakes B
-6.6ml Roots Excelerateur
-180ml H2O2 - MISTAKE. If you are using H&G don't use H2O2 unless you have no other choice.

My starting pH is about 5.6

Wish me luck.

Man.

What a difference a week makes. Your last post is confident and it looks exactly on track! You mentioned about the delay in growth, but most likely that's the plants adjusting to everything you've done recently. I had delayed growth for close to two weeks because of ineffective lighting, as long as you see root development, they'll come around.

I'm excited for you man. It's a good feeling to get things figured out and back on track!

Have a great weekend Speyedr!

SF

:woohoo: Speyedr's Got the Ice Probe going!!! Man, I'm tons excited for you on that! Please let us know how well it works, and how you are adjusting it.
Good info on that H2O2 for your nutes, I wonder if h2o2 has issues with Advanced Nutes? I guess I have some homework :reading420magazine:. What Algaecide are you using? Are you going liquid, or are you planning on using those tabs? I have a liquid one I used a couple of times. Since I think my algae is under control, I have gone to only using h2o2. Late -

What did the ice probe cost you?

I am guessing it is cheaper than a chiller???

Definitely cheaper than a chiller and there are a couple models out as well. Don't remember prices but it was sub-200, can get one used also. Awesome addition to your equipment Speyedr.I am looking at gettin' 2 of 'em instead of a chiller unit.
:goodluck:

First and foremost, I truly wish you the best of luck with the Iceprobe. I had about 150 bucks tied up in one that had the inline thermostat. I installed it in a Rubbermaid tub with 6 gallons in it. This was installed in a cab that had a 250 watt HPS lights. After running all day and night it had managed to drop the temp in the reservoir by less than 2 deg. Went to work and returned home and the reservoir temp had risen over 6 deg putting the reservoir temp to 86 deg. I repeated this thinking it needed more time, so I let it go another day. By the following morning, it had dropped to 82 deg. By that afternoon, it was back up to 86 deg. By day 3, I pulled it, wrapped it up and sent it back to Marine Depot. I then paid the difference and they promptly sent out a 1/15th hp chiller. I have been smiling ever since...

I really hope it works for you, but with the experience I had, I wouldn't bet on it though... unless your looking for an expensive beer cooler...

On a bright side, it will keep a glass of beer REAL cold...:goodluck:

Evolution Of A GrowCab-From The School of hard Knocks
Grow Cab Ventilation Redesign-All About Heat

You can find these for under $110 without a thermostat. Just google it and you'll see a few stores.

What Algaecide are you using? Are you going liquid, or are you planning on using those tabs?
I haven't picked any up but SouthernWeed says he uses the Tetra brand liquid, 1 drop per gallon.

I'm excited for you man. It's a good feeling to get things figured out and back on track!

Have a great weekend Speyedr!
Thanks Brother. You've been mighty supportive throughout and I appreciate it. A true Deep Water Culture.

I really hope it works for you, but with the experience I had, I wouldn't bet on it though... unless your looking for an expensive beer cooler...

On a bright side, it will keep a glass of beer REAL cold...
I sure hope it works better than that 'cause I have enough beer refrigeration!!!

Since turning it on my space temps are up to 78f and my res temps have held around 69f, so far.
However, I am using a Hanna Grow Check, and when I turned it on my pH reading immediately dropped from 5.7 to 3.8. My EC was off too, so maybe the temp is as well.
Either the Ice Probe fried my shit or it interferes with the Hanna, which seems odd given it is meant to work in Aquariums where in tank probes are common.

I will definitely keep everyone posted about this one.

Peace out and Happy Friday!:roorrip:

Definitely cheaper than a chiller and there are a couple models out as well. Don't remember prices but it was sub-200, can get one used also. Awesome addition to your equipment Speyedr.I am looking at gettin' 2 of 'em instead of a chiller unit.
:goodluck:

Well, keep an eye here over the next week before you pick 'em up. Happy to be your guinea pig!

Back
Top Bottom