Stalled Autoflower Seedling

Like all those Hip Hop artists burning hundred dollar bills. Hell, give 'em to me if you don't want them that bad. :(
Literally had the same thought....kinda wanted to ask for the split ones and see if I could save them :laugh:

Start in a solo cup. Cut holes in the bottom for drainage. Place a baggie over the top of cup. place in a heated seed mat.

4CF9230A-4CC2-4EC8-AF17-F16F07FD7DB0.jpeg
Thanks for the recommendation Streetglide! Is this process ok for autos? I was always told to start autos in their final pot? … Or is that a myth?

Thanks for the recommendation Streetglide! Is this process ok for autos? I was always told to start autos in their final pot? … Or is that a myth?
I always start in final pot.... Not to answer for glide.... I believe in as little handling as possible.

I would love to hear everyone’s thoughts on germinating method:
-Waiting until there is a tail then planting -Soaking for 24 hours then planting.
- Just dropping seed.

My first grow last year I popped three autos and all went to harvest with a decent yield. Since then I’ve been at a 25% success rate. Not good. That’s why when I grew my latest Gorilla Glue auto, I grew for seeds. I need to get my method down with a much higher success rate before I start paying $10 per seed again! I still hate wasting seeds but at least I don’t have the same financial pressure. I feel I can experiment with what works best. So if you have a tried and true way, I am more than happy to try it!! Thanks again to this great community!

Put half-way decent soil in a small container made for seed starting and root development of small plants. Poke a hole in the soil. Drop the seed in. Cover over so the seed is about 1/4 inch below the surface. Put a bit of water on top to help settle the wet soil around the seed. Put a tag on the container with the name and date.

Place the container on top of the lights in the canopy over the aquarium. The heat from when the lights come on in the morning and evening plus the heat from the water is enough. Someplace that the temperature will stay in a 72 to 78 degree F range seems to work well.

Put half-way decent soil in a small container made for seed starting and root development of small plants. Poke a hole in the soil. Drop the seed in. Cover over so the seed is about 1/4 inch below the surface. Put a bit of water on top to help settle the wet soil around the seed. Put a tag on the container with the name and date.

Place the container on top of the lights in the canopy over the aquarium. The heat from when the lights come on in the morning and evening plus the heat from the water is enough. Someplace that the temperature will stay in a 72 to 78 degree F range seems to work well.
Thanks Smoking! So seed start in soil…. I was thinking this might be best because it gives the seed time to adjust. I wonder if this makes a stronger seedling versus planting a seed with a tail. You’ve had no problems with transferring an auto? Thanks again!

I like to start mine with a water soak and plant it as soon as the seed coat splits and the root just peeks out. That way I know it's viable to start. Then, if it doesn't come up I know the problem is something else.

Just planting it blind and hoping it's viable and will break the surface is too stressful. Particularly with expensive seeds that aren't the freshest.

I like to start mine with a water soak and plant it as soon as the seed coat splits and the root just peeks out. That way I know it's viable to start. Then, if it doesn't come up I know the problem is something else.

Just planting it blind and hoping it's viable and will break the surface is too stressful. Particularly with seeds that aren't the freshest.
Thanks Azimuth! Appreciate your explanation. I just put a seed into soil that had soaked for 24ish hours. It had the slightest split. I’m hoping for success!

Seed starting, like watering and cloning, and many other aspects of growing our favorite plant is a very individual thing. Over time you'll find a method for each that works for you in your environment and then things will become more automatic.

There's no one right way to do it. That's why when you ask that type of question you get so many varied answers. Each of them likely work great for the person that suggested it. Doesn't mean it'll work for you. But you'll find something that does work and you'll have confidence in it. Growing gets a lot more fun after that!

So, it's good to ask for opinions and get lots of different responses. Hopefully in one of them you'll find something that works for you.

I like to experiment with different things even when I have something that works pretty well. That's part of the fun of growing for me.

I was always told to start autos in their final pot?
I saw something the other day - not too sure about it - but I may try it with other seeds...start your seedlings in Ice cream Cones...when time to plant just put the whole damn works in!!! Don't know how well it will take the watering but...

I'm starting to think that throwing them in with my composting worms might be the best way!!! I've had tons of them sprout in there!! along with every other damn seed that goes in....I had six seeds that for the life of me couldn't figure out....it was one whole summer before I figured it out....Apples!!!

I saw something the other day - not too sure about it - but I may try it with other seeds...start your seedlings in Ice cream Cones...when time to plant just put the whole damn works in!!! Don't know how well it will take the watering but...
Why not the peat cups? Same idea, but made for the purpose.

I've got a whole whack of seeds so I think I will soak an egg crate, fill it with soil, plunk in a bunch of seeds and stick them in the compost bin just to see what the success rate is!! They are seeds from another experiment - I just hope I have the good sense to scrap them when this experiment is over - I have a hard time with that!! :hmmmm:

Why not the peat cups? Same idea, but made for the purpose.
The problem with peat cups in my experience, is that it takes a lot of water/wetness for them to be able to break down. You don't want your seedling that kind of wet, in my opinion. When I use them, I just tear the peat cup off when I plant it (get it good and wet before transplant, so any roots that do make it thru get out easier) ... even just cutting /tearing it open works, but I personally don't like to leave a big hunk of peat right smack dab in the middle of my roots, messes with pH and watering too much.

The problem with peat cups in my experience, is that it takes a lot of water/wetness for them to be able to break down. You don't want your seedling that kind of wet, in my opinion. When I use them, I just tear the peat cup off when I plant it (get it good and wet before transplant, so any roots that do make it thru get out easier) ... even just cutting /tearing it open works, but I personally don't like to leave a big hunk of peat right smack dab in the middle of my roots, messes with pH and watering too much.
All good points. :thanks:

Thanks Smoking! So seed start in soil…. I was thinking this might be best because it gives the seed time to adjust. I wonder if this makes a stronger seedling versus planting a seed with a tail. You’ve had no problems with transferring an auto? Thanks again!
One big point to starting in soil is that it avoids handling the seed when placing it in wet paper towels and when transferring it into the next sized pot. Anything to avoid the possibility of breaking off the tap root 'cause that means it is all over.

Breaking the tap root is rare. My big thing is all the extra care and handling that is involved in handling the very small plant with a teeny tiny tap root. Once the tap root is several inches long with side roots transplanting is a breeze.

Only did an auto-flower once and that was an accident. There was a seed in with some photoperiod seeds and I did not find out till it started flowering. By then I had taken several clones and transplanted a time or two.

Back
Top Bottom